S. A. Moffett Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 550 students

Posted January 2, 2014

My son is now in 2nd grade and has been here since Kindergarten. The teachers he has had have been pretty good but I think they are limited in resources based on class sizes but I do not blame them for this. There is a lot of parent involvement which in theory is great but when that means there are 3 or 4 class moms with no schooling in education (or any schooling for that matter) helping run the class I have to question the quality of education he is receiving. Also, I think ripping pages out of workbooks and having kids work on mountains of these things is a cop out. I would prefer the incorporation of innovative lessons encouraging problem solving, free thinking and creativity. Last, I have to agree with the other poster that mentioned the "Mom Mafia". It is a little pathetic and a lot annoying and takes away from the goals I have in mind for my child. Overall, though I would rate Moffett average to slightly above average for a public school.

Posted October 26, 2013

My son just started Kindergarten and I could't be happier with the school, his teacher and the principal. He loves it and wakes up every AM eager to get to school. Loved that the Principal took time over the summer to have a one-on-one tour with me to learn more about Moffett and the school's philosophy. He just started receiving homework and it's just the right amount for him and Mom. :o) Looking forward to the next few years at Moffett.

Posted September 23, 2013

Moffett Elementary is an At kind of school! Moffett gives its students remarkable educational and self-empowering opportunities. Mr. Andrzejewski. (School Principal) is exceptional! My child who is in second grade this year continues to excel in the academics provided by the impeccable teaching staff. I give thanks to Mr. A and his staff for giving my son (and daughter who graduated last year) and all others the environment and guidance to believe that they can achieve on the highest level; and just as, if not more importantly, to develop the self-awareness that doing their best, no matter the effort involved, has its own rewards that far exceed taking the easy way out. Also; a huge thank you to the PTA and Parent Involvement! What a difference it makes to have an awesome PTA and such dedicated parents!

Posted September 10, 2013

Moffatt is a great school. They really engage my child and she feels valued as a person. They communicate well and are truly concerned about her welfare and safety

Posted August 28, 2013

We're really happy about this school. The staff, teachers and principal care about our children and their education. The PTA is wonderful, with so many volunteers aboard!

Posted November 30, 2012

I am really unhappy about this school. My child's teacher refuses to give "challenge work". Now I understand that this is not required of teachers or the school. However, what teacher would refuse this if the child voluntarily asks for more work. Overall, my child gets the education needed so I am willing to give this school 2 stars but the recent incident just makes me not think well of this school. I hope that we have a better experience next year. Also, I gave 5 stars to the parent involvement because they do let parents get involved. However is it necessary to call me 3x and email me the day before my volunteer day? Calm down, PTA ;-)

Posted November 23, 2012

I was prompted to write after the incorrect 11/1/12 post. Moffett is NOT IN PROGRAM IMPROVEMENT! If the parent had truly read the letter, they would have realized that there are only two schools in our district that have been placed into stage one of program improvement: Dwyer Middle School & Perry Elementary School. Moffett recently made incredible growth in their API score. They 'stress the test' because of the emphasis that the State & Federal Government put on those scores (legislation called No Child Left Behind). Quite frankly I appreciate the academic emphasis and wish there was more. There are amazing programs the PTA & the principal supports: field trips, art masters, music, red ribbon week, fall festival, food truck frenzy, science night, skate parties, reflections, student recognition for multiple areas, track & field, student council,... It's a great school! If I had the power & funds to change things I'd implement smaller class sizes & regularly scheduled lunch time activities for students, incorporate diversity education into the curriculum, add a sunshade, become a green school, have a later start time, and lastly mandate uniforms throughout the district!

Posted November 5, 2012

The post from 11/1/12 is incorrect-Moffett Elementary School IS NOT IN PROGRAM IMPROVEMENT! Please be very careful about what you post and know your FACTS. If you had read the letter from the school district, you would have clearly noted that there are two schools in our district that have been placed into stage one of program improvement, and neither of those schools are Moffett. The schools are Dwyer Middle School and Perry Elementary School. Furthermore, those schools were placed into program improvement because of low test scores for a specific group of students and not because of the scores for the majority of the student population. If you are not comfortable with this school it is your loss. Moffett is one of the top scoring schools which has made incredible growth in their API score. The teachers 'stress the test' because of the emphasis that the State & Federal Government put on those scores (legislation called No Child Left Behind). Get involved - stop judging from the sidewalk or play ground. We are more than a few fun activities - we are a strong academic education center that prepares all students beyond the standards that are set forth. A proud Moffet parent!

Posted November 5, 2012

My daughter started Kindergarten this year at Moffett. My goal, as a parent (and former teacher), is for my daughter to LOVE school and become a life-long learner. Moffett Elementary is definitely supporting my goal for her! My daughter is amped to wake up and go to school - she has an energetic teacher that manages the classroom like a pro. The principal knows his school, his teachers, and their needs. He is very approachable - I wish that I was still teaching so I could work FOR him! The PTA welcomes all parents and encourages all levels of participation in school activities. I have 3 young kiddos and the PTA has helped me to find ways to volunteer that work for our family situation. They have AMAZING programs - Art Masters, BFF Reading Program, and the Fall Festival - what fun! So thankful for this school! Note: There is a negative review written by another parent. Unfortunately, they MISREAD the information on the letter from the Superintendent. The letter was general information regarding the district and some of its schools - not Moffett!

Posted August 6, 2012

My child was in Kindergarten last year at moffett. I was very impressed by the teachers and the academics. My older children had attended elementary school at another HB school in Ocean View District, so I have something to compare it to. My daughter excelled here. I am so impressed by this school. I wish I could go back and have all my children attend this school.

Posted February 23, 2012

The teachers, principal & PTA at Moffett are the best in HBCSD. Even tho budget cuts have made class sizes bigger than I'd like & the recent deletion of "creativity" in our curriculum makes me scream at times, our small school has pulled together to make sure our kids leave with the best possible, well-rounded education. Thank PTA for putting SmartBoards & sound field systems in every classroom & continuing to fund & support art, music, PE, field trips, accelerated reader & IXL. As far as the previous comment about the MMM.... Have I volunteered for & chaired PTA fundraisers? Yes. Have I been on the PTA elected board? Yes. All it takes is for a parent to raise their hand and say "yes!" when asked to help run the fundraisers & programs to continue supporting our school -- not run away & say "I'll help, but I don't want my name on it." If you want to be a part of PTA and have "influence" on what it does... say "yes!" Come to a volunteer round-up. Reply to PTA emails. Call the PTA president or chair of the program you want to be involved in. The ball is in your court. Yearbook, Art Masters, BoxTops, Book Fair, HSA, Legislation... are all waiting for you! Join us to support our kids!

Posted February 23, 2012

We moved here 2 years ago from Mission Viejo and I chose this school based on multiple reviews and websites. I couldn't be happier. Amazing teachers, great principal that really takes the time to get to know the students and parents, also great parent involvement. Matter of fact any time I meet a new mom from another school it's the first thing they say is how great our PTA and parent participation is. This is one of the reasons this school has such a great reputation. Although budget cuts have hit us, most people wouldn't even notice. With the help of our Principal, fundraising, donations, Grants and PTA the school has managed to fund Smart boards, amplification sound systems music, art masters, IXL, BFF, field trips, spark, and so much more throughout the school. I am a proud parent to say my kids attend Moffett.

Posted September 23, 2011

This school has been an excellent match for my child. The teachers are highly skilled and passionate about there instruction. Also, the parent involvement is outstanding. Having such a supportive educational community lends overall to a successful school. Hope this does not change with the current administration.

Posted January 4, 2011

I was a little worried about the class size. Our daughter started kindergarten knowing how to read already and we worried about her forgetting what she had already learned. The teachers are really great and moved her to a higher grade level to be challenged (for reading). The PTA is amazing and very active. We are lucky to have such an involved and caring principal as well. Moffett is the best.

Posted June 7, 2010

My son is in Kindergarten (Room 2) at Moffett. I was hesitant to enroll him in a public school, but we cannot afford private school. When I heard how big the class sizes were, I thought there was no way my son would leave Kindergarten reading and writing. I also thought that his teacher wouldn't know him personally. I was certainly wrong! Moffett's Kindergarten program is incredible. His teacher is firm but fair and incredibly loving. The class is so organized (I guess it has to be) and the children know exactly what to do. My son LOVES to read and he is even writing up to five sentences! His teacher takes the time to makes sure he is reading books that he is interested in. From what I hear, this is just the first taste of what it is like to send your child to Moffett!

Posted September 30, 2009

Academics and parent involvement have exceeded my expectations.

Posted September 17, 2009

we have the best teachers, they always strive for the best. When a child is having a hard time, they make sure to help them. The parents at Moffett are always willing to help, we have a great PTA. The kids are well behaved, they have fun at school, and our community is stronger because of our school.

Posted September 17, 2009

Phenomenal Administration & teaching staff, along with an unbelievable number of parent volunteers all working together for the sole purpose of the students makes this a one-of-a-kind school and a tough act to beat.

Posted September 16, 2009

We have the most amazing volunteers. I've never seen a school with so many enthusiastic, involved parents. We have a reading program at Moffett called Best Foot Forward that the kids can come to every day and check out a book and then be interviewed by a parent volunteer about the book they read. There are 60 volunteers just for that program, and we also have the Art Masters program, Class Act, which is a partnership with the Pacific Symphony Orchestra. They send an adopted musician from the symphony to teach each individual classroom about the symphony, the instruments, and a different famous classical composer each year. Then we have assemblies with them during the year, and at the end of the year, our whole school goes to the performing arts center to see them perform. We also have several teachers that have their classes do plays and musicals every year. We have family math nights, family meal nights, family movie night...And our school provides so many more programs for our children to enjoy. Our school is the BEST!

Posted May 22, 2009

If you are looking for quality education in Huntington Beach, then Moffett Elementary is the best school in town! Beginning with their Principal, who has very high standards when it comes to educational team she has created at Moffett as well as the practices she sets for the children to achieve. The parent community is warm and welcoming with a strong PTA presence on campus. Moffett has a great arts program with varied music instruction. The school has top-notch test scores and a great computer lab. It is too bad someone chose to use this forum to air their obvious personal issue with the principal. There is always the freedom to chose another school in the school district.

This school's

(2012)

10 / 10

9 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

10 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

9 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

83 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

83 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

94 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

76 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

78 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students88%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

8800 Burlcrest Avenue