Huntington Beach, CA

Posted August 12, 2014
Full-time G.A.T.E class in 2nd grade and up. This school is awesome. Could use a little more challenging math curriculum.

Posted February 16, 2013
This school blows me away. My expect ions weren't very high for a public school, but the teachers my kids have had are just hands down amazing. If your child gets Voss or Hunter for kinder, or taranova or Crain for 2nd, or zamiska for third, or Garton for fourth, then count your blessings. The principle is always out of her office being very involved with teachers, parents, kids. The office staff Claudia, Renee, and nurse Cathy are wonderful. I really have no complaints. Even the parents here are very involved. Down to earth school with caring smart teachers.

John R. Peterson Elementary School 4

Posted February 03, 2012
This is a fine school. It isn't the richest and the campus is old, but there are many terrific teachers. They used to have a terrific principal who had the best interest of the students at heart, but she retired in 2008 or 2009. Now they have a seat warmer.

Posted April 09, 2011
I have been very pleased with my experience with Peterson Elementary. Though this is my daughter's first year here (grade K), so I speak only of my experience with her teacher, I think it is wonderful! The teacher is so wonderful at pointing out each child's special talents despite their struggles. She is firm but loving and the children are really drawn to her. She teaches creatively and I always see her write nice things to the children on their work. The math, reading and other assignments are spot on for the age group while still promoting critical thinking. The PTA is very involved and the reading program has excellent volunteers. I visit for lunch sometimes and my daughter loves the cafeteria staff. My daughter doesn't buy lunch because she is a picky eater but the lunches seem to havea variety of foods with milk and fruit being served with all meals. Sometimes its a pain to park so we park down the street but it was like that at Perry when we were there for Preschool and I have seen the parking lot packed and backed up at Seacliff as well so I think this is pretty normal. I wish the school was completely gated but that's really my only gripe.

Posted September 19, 2010
My daughter recently transferred from a private school to the GATE program. Her teacher is amazing, warm, caring, friendly. There are a lot of kids in the class but she runs it so well that my daughter is learning more there in a few weeks than in a year at her previous school with 14 in the class. For the first time, she is eager to run to school and soak up everything and at night, she happily tells me about her day. Highest praise for a school that embraces curiosity and the individual child.

John R. Peterson Elementary School

Posted March 27, 2010
A great school with lots of caring and involved staff and a firm responsive principle. Class size has increased recently due to budget cuts so they've become more creative in raising fund including sponsoring local businesses. Their efforts to raise funds is a great sign of determination beyond budget cuts and slow economy. nevertheless, the staff pushes students for academic achievement with lots of feedback to parents about students progress. Expect to be asked to get involved in your child's education and discipline. The school is a bit older but completely functional and very safe with lots of safety procedures including loading and unloading your kids.

Posted February 05, 2010
I have a child in the GATE program at Peterson and every experience I have had with the teachers and staff has been extremely positive. My child is constantly challenged without all the busy work I would have had as a child. Every teacher I've spoken with is extremely positive and focused. I highly recomend this school and especially the centered GATE classes.

John R. Peterson Elementary School 1

Posted December 03, 2009
I was very disappointed in this school. We came from Newport-Mesa district. Teachers are not involved. The overall school lacks alot.

John R. Peterson Elementary School 1

Posted July 10, 2009
We moved to this area from the east coast. This school appeared very highly rated when we checked it out on the web. The campus has no fences or security to speak of. There is no free transportation to the school with the parking and drop off area looking like a nascar race before and after school. There is no cafeteria! Lunches are basically shipped in 'lunchables' with low nutritional value. Expect to have your child run several fund raisers during the school year due to low funding. Special Ed is a joke, with little or no staff. Programs like Art, Phys Ed, and Music are Ala Carte, and must be paid for! The school will sometimes combine classes for certain subjects with ratios reaching 35 kids to 1 teacher!!!! The majority of teachers there try hard but are overwhelmed by lack of help and money.

John R. Peterson Elementary School 4

Posted March 31, 2009
As the parent of a Kindergartner, this is my first experience in public school. I am thrilled with all three K teachers, having a chance to meet each one and work on projects together. I am pleased with Peterson, its leadership, staff, teachers and student body.

John R. Peterson Elementary School
20661 Farnsworth Lane, Huntington Beach, CA  92646
Last modified John R. Peterson Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
John R. Peterson Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 40 reviews. Top