Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

The teachers made us have 5 different binders for our core classes, in addition to all the text books. I have back problems now.

Amount of homework: Disagree

I had hours of homework every night. Sometimes I would be up till midnight doing my homework, even when I didn't go outside to play,

The math and science teachers are ok. I don't recommend the online advance math course as it is not very hands on, and the room monitor does not know math and she does not make the students work. The 7th and 8th grade Honors teachers are horrible as they primarily rely on archaic methods of teaching and assessment.There is nothing challenging about copying notes and memorizing vocabulary from the beginning of the year. This kind of busy work put such a stress on my son and the entire family. Furthermore, there is lack of emphasis on writing, such as analysis, creativity and problem solving. There are many parents who agree with me.

This school was horrible to deal with. Every time I tried to talk to the Principal all the assistants would make every excuse in the world to not bother the principal. Furthermore all the principal was concerned about was making sure you addressed her as Dr. instead of paying attention to my concerns of bullying and stealing at Sowers. The assistant principal there is also the last person who should be in education. Mr. Holbrook was one of if not the worse to deal with. He would try to use his position at school to justify his right to be able to discipline kids at home. I tried working with him, but his hunger for power was too much. I tried getting in contact with the Superintendent hopefully to help and also no luck there. This was by far the worse experience I have EVER dealt with at a school. I will make sure I will NEVER take my kids to that school again. Any fundraisers or anything that supports that school I will take no part of until that whole staff is completely removed and replaced with a staff that is actually concerned for our children's education.

I'm about to switch to Dwyer because almost everywhere a kid wants to get in fight with you. Me and my friend get picked on almost every day.

It's interesting if you look at the latest reviews how much the quality of education and the Sowers experience has dropped in the last few years. My son was at Sowers last year and like some other reviewers had a wonderful GATE experience at Peterson only to go into a dumbed down, lack challenges program at Sowers. Ms. Guerro the principal treats teachers and parents as they are below her. She is not a problem solver and basically refuses to do her job. The Superintendant is more than knowledgable of these issues and will SAY that he will make changes happen to better Sowers, but each year it just gets worse. We actual left to attend TALBERT this year and have had an amazing experience. If you want your student to be successful at the high school level, do not go to Sowers. The academic experience you now get at Sowers is mediocre at best due the district changing the curriculum (not the teachers) and does not adequately prepare you to be successful at Edison or Huntington Beach High Schools. It's very discouraging as HBCSD use to be a great district. Now the best district is FVSD or private school.

I would agree with the last poster, especially regarding the Administration at Sowers. "Dr." Guerrero is out of her league and doesn't have the gravitas that it takes to lead staff or crack the whip on behavior issues. Asking students to call her "Dr." and not "Ms." is certainly not the example of servant leadership. I also believe that a certain attitude has been allowed to develop over time regarding the relationship between the teachers and the parents. It should be a partnership and not an adversarial relationship. Although I understand the intention of having students be responsible for their work, including work they may have missed due to sickness, when a parent emails a teacher it should engender some sort of response. Our experience, as well as other parents, has been that teachers at Sowers do not respond to emails. Once again, it's a leadership issue with no apparent action at the District level either (although I get it that their hands are tied in a union environment). It's really too bad and tragic as the elementary schools in this district are all very good. It's been a hard transition due to the seeming lack of caring at this school.

This is a school that has so much potential but really needs leadership. Talbert and Dwyer are much better options if you have the opportunity to put your kids in those schools. Dr. Guerrero runs Sowers. Unfortunately she lacks the leadership skills of a good principal and you can see this in the littany of assistant principals and staff who leave her employ or are smashed down so that they are almost ineffectual. Having met and seen Dr. Guerrero many times I see that she lacks a clear vision for the school and is usually on the defensive. She communicates with people in a distant manner and you leave meetings with her almost feeling devalued. It shows in the students who meet her as well. She fails to inspire. Many times it's been her failure to communicate her position that has caught me off-guard and she has a propensity to avoid situations rather than tackle them head-on so nothing gets done and things fester. Further, when things do go right I've never seen her give credit to those involved. I even once heard her tell a young student to call her "Dr. Guerrero" instead of "Mrs Guerrero" as if her title were important for the student to know.

I 'graduated' from Sowers about 4 years ago, and hopefully it has changed by then. I had no teachers who really cared, and I efficiently learned from (except one who was fired that year due to budget cuts). I understand that with a limited school fund it is very challenging to maintain a proper learning environment, but I was not happy at that school. I was a very smart student, and in all the advanced classes, and I was unable to find help for anything and was given countless hours of busy work. I failed at really making any friends, even though I am not a shy person, and it was overall a very negative experience. My parents transferred me to private school for high school, and it was the best choice they could have made for me. I thrived there and made lots of friends and excelled in my classes. Edison would not have been a good fit, hearing some of the stories my friends who go there tell me about..

Don't go to this school. The students here a snobby and mean. The popular ones especially. They will spread rumors about you and talk behind your back. I left this school after 7th grade and there still talking bad about me. So don't send your child here unless they want to be bullied.

Last modified Isaac L. Sowers Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.