Huntington Beach High School 4

Posted June 22, 2014
This is a great school with an amazing nationally recognized arts program called APA. However I have been very disappointed with a couple of the academic teachers. My son struggled in pre-calculus and we made a huge effort to get him help, including spending hundreds of dollars on tutors and attempting to work with his teacher, but she was not willing to work with us or offer any additional help to my son. In spite of all our efforts and my son working extremely hard spending numerous hours of additional study time, he failed this class. His teacher could care less... no one should ever fail a class if they are giving 100 effort.

Posted June 22, 2014
Good school; APA is OK but not in the same league as OCSA. Sports programs are good. Teachers are demanding but fair. One comment posted that she doesn't understand about how working hard results in a failing grade. That's the sound of a participation award mentality that is warping this generation. Kids shouldn't be allowed to think that they will always be successful as long as they try hard.

Posted January 31, 2014
I love Huntington Beach High school. I think its better than many of the other schools in the HBUHSD. I had to do some research since my home school was Marina. (There was NO way I was going to go there!) And Huntington is definitely the right fit for me! I like APA, without it I don't think I would've made so many friends! I do think they need to hire some better math teachers. But they also offer some great electives, like guitar!

Posted January 18, 2013
HBHS is an exceptional school with many dedicated educators that motivate students to work to their full potential. We are very pleased that our daughter is attending this great school! She has truly enjoyed all her teachers and looks forward to classes. Even though the AP classes can be overwhelming with homework, assignments, and reading, she continues to enjoy learning! The Campus atmosphere is also friendly and diverse. A gem of a high school!

Huntington Beach High School 1

Posted January 08, 2013
This school does not protect children that are bullied. They talk a good game. My child was bullied for month's. They did a five minute investigation. The bullies Were not corrected.

Huntington Beach High School 4

Posted October 29, 2012
Regarding the September 7, 2012 post: I disagree about HBHS not helping 'below average kids'. My son scores way below average, in the 6-11 percentile (bottom 10%) on standardized tests since 4th grade, with an 11% on the PSAT last year. He entered HBHS with a 6th grade reading level; he took the HBHS reading class for two years. He was embarrassed - now he reads at 11-12 grade level. He takes college placement courses - and struggles with a few B's, C's & one D. The school created a 4th year math class above algebra 2 and below pre-calc for students like him. It's a struggle for him - we expect his SAT scores to be 320-420 in each area - low. He is in the Academy of the Performing Arts (APA), specifically in the MMET program as a guitarist. Even that was a struggle - he did not get on main stage until his junior year [now he is one of the top guitarists and has a two night show this week]. We have provided tutors at home, we help out and so on. That's his ability level. We have a child in GATE who aces everything -- that's her level. [see my previous post below - he's the one retaking chem]

Huntington Beach High School 1

Posted September 07, 2012
So far I have very little good to say about HBHS. I have had trouble getting help for a below average student since freshmen year and we are now a Junior. No one seems to care about the below average kids. Yes, they offer tons of great stuff for above average kids but nothing in the way of extra help for the others. I would only recommend this school if you have a child utilizing the arts program, honors or leadership programs. They finally got rid of a principal that needed to go. So I am hopeful that the new prinicpal will take some interest in the school.

Posted October 03, 2010
We applied and were accepted to several private schools and chose HBHS because: The leadership, teachers, parents, student academics and environment at HBHS IS THE BEST.

Posted September 17, 2009
They have a beautiful campus-excellent teachers and offer AP and honors classes that are comparable to the private schools we have attended. The HBHS teachers are accessible during the tutorial period which is offered every day for students to go and ask questions or get extra help if needed.

Posted September 06, 2009
huntington is an excellent school with great teachers and a fun learning experience. not to mention we have a great reputation.

Huntington Beach High School
1905 Main Street, Huntington Beach, CA  92648
Last modified Huntington Beach High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Huntington Beach High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 35 reviews. Top