Ocean View High School

Public | 10-12 | 1500 students

Posted April 4, 2014

Ocean View has an great student unity. I have always felt safe and welcomed on the Ocean View campus. There are great teachers who really care about every individual student and want them to succeed. The Business Academy, an elite three year program, has taught me many skills including public speaking, the use of Quickbooks, MS Excel, and creates good networking opportunities to keep contact with executives of companies. There are many wonderful programs and opportunities available at Ocean View High School.

Posted April 4, 2014

There have been many experiences that I have obtained from attending Ocean View. It was very tempting to avoid this school from the fact that is the time it takes to get to the school itself every day, but so far I have yet to regret something from the great decision I made three years ago. The school itself offers a variety of =opportunities for anyone to enjoy a great time. Various programs, clubs, and higher level classes create such diversity. The small campus allows for newcomers to not have a rough time integrating into the the family that is Ocean View. We are the only school that provides the International Baccalaureate, which gives students who wish to pursue a higher leave of education above AP level courses to do so. Truly a great opportunity for anyone and I both dread and long the final chapter that this school holds for me next year. GO seahawks!

Posted April 4, 2014

[Ocean View,] I've met some really great people at here, not all, but most. I like the volleyball program, track and field program, and IB program to help the students to achieve more. All in all, it's a good school, it may have a few flaws, however, so does everything else in this world. It's well-rounded in both academics and other extra-curricular programs such as sports and band. The staff has been friendly and helpful and I honestly see this as a very good school and wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

Posted April 4, 2014

I enjoy going to Ocean View because of all of the opportunities I am given to join in on school activities. I am currently in my third year here, and I've done sports in all seasons all three years. We really benefit from being a small school because the teams are all basically no-cut. If you want to do something, go for it! You're allowed to here. There isn't a drug problem like at other school. I hear stories all the time about other schools' drug problems, and I am thankful that I go to Ocean View. The staff really tries hard to make sure you succeed. I have been involved in AP classes since sophomore year, and my teachers didn't just teach the subjects, they taught me how to study in a way that works for me. Everyone is really nice; there are cliques, but everyone has their own clique. "You can't spell 'LOVE' without 'OV'" is the most emphasized policy of Ocean View; and it really is true.

Posted April 4, 2014

Ocean View High School is an amazing school. It has opportunities for everyone. Containing both the International Baccalaureate and Advance Placement classes, it gives students the chance for a rigorous education. The teachers help in all classes. They do their best to give us the best education. In athletics, no one is turned down, even for money issues. The music department is fantastic, having a great band and choir. Students in the music program are taught personal music skills and ensemble skills. There are many clubs at our school. They vary from robotics to red cross. This school also has a career center. This place prepares us for life after high school. It helps kids find jobs and scholarship opportunities as well as finding the right college for each kid. I could not imagine a better school.

Posted April 4, 2014

I have worked at OVHS for 10 years and have been to many high schools in Orange County and LA County throughout my career. Without hesitation, I will say that is the best school I've ever worked at. The students are the most well-rounded and the school environment is a breeding ground for improvement and self-empowerment. The staff and teachers will go above and beyond for students and families and have the strongest commitment to the community as a whole. People mistakenly judge a school by their standardized testing scores (API) and this is only a small piece of how successful a school really is. Students are challenged daily to push themselves and take challenging classes that will boost their self-concept. The support for all students is incredible in all areas. Superficial reviews are only harmful and once you take the time to meet with staff at the school, you'll see how inaccurate they can be. Go Seahawks!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 12, 2014

I graduated in 2011. I will always defend OVHS not only because I went there, but because it truly is a great school. The fact that it's a small campus with less then 2,000 students makes it all feel like one big family. You get to know a lot of the students. All the teachers were excellent and only wanted the best for everyone. Never once was I offered any illegal substance in the 4 years that I was there. Something that I really loved was how spirited it was. ASB was great at putting together rallies and involving everyone during the week of it. I liked that during lunch, they would play music and sometimes play games on the upper patio. The new principal made it a point to tell us he cared and loved us every single day during morning announcements. Don't believe all the negative things you may hear about Ocean View High School. I had the best 4 years of my life there. Go Seahawks!

Posted April 15, 2013

As a student that attends Ocean View high i can honestly say that it is the best school i have attended. The teachers here are amazing and they always have time for any question you have. I have heard from many students that they feel safe and like they can be themselves here at ocean view. What surprises me is the fact that there are hardly any cliques at this school. Everybody talks to everybody and that's just the way it is at ocean view. I go to this school and i don't see a "bad environment". I have had so many good memories at this school, I really am going to miss it! SEAHAWKS!

Posted April 2, 2013

They accept students that have been expelled from other High Schools, making it no better than Valley Vista. Everything is sugar coated, but when you're actually a student you see the bad environment.

Posted April 2, 2013

If you are able to, it would be a very good decision to send your child to another school. So many children have such potential, but if put in the wrong environment it all goes away. My child is suffering from depression because she feels as she is unable to join sports, clubs and IB&AP courses due to cliques. Many of the High Schools in Huntington Beach are the same, so we're considering Westminster, Pacifica, and Loara, as they also have a small campus (but it's a friendly one).

Posted April 2, 2013

Becoming a part of this High School was probably one of the worst decisions I could make. The utter disrespect from the students is completely unfathomable, and the rest of the staff as well. Very disorganized with education. This is more like a day care for 16 year olds.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 2, 2013

This school need alot of improvement on the student and it needs more improvement. Also it needs to improve on the teachers

Posted September 21, 2012

The school is small, which used to be great, but the resources seem to be wasting away. They have several classes that are overbooked, specifically, their science classes. This year, there is a wait list for physics. Other classes only have one option, conflicting with each other so students may not get their requirements (they recommend adult school for these classes). Shouldn't a school provide the educational requirements necessary to help you get into college?

Posted September 5, 2012

My kids love this school!! All three of them are involved in sports and the IB program. As a parent I would highly recommend this school. It is smaller, has more resources, great teachers, challenging programs and FANTASTIC Kids. I researched all the high schools available in Huntington Beach for my kids and decided to opt out of our home school and send them to OVHS. The best decision for my family. GO SEAHAWKS!!!

Posted September 16, 2011

I am a student here at OV and this school is unique and is the underdog in the district. We are smaller and that results in different schedules but more student-teacher time. My teachers truly want to see success from everyone and that goes for all the teachers. Instead of being treated like a number I am a learner who is being supported and challenged every day. The principal is phenomenal, and really cares about everyone he wants us to work hard and values each student. My friends who go to different schools in the district tease me for coming here. I don't know why when we are smaller, have a brand new Olympic sized pool, new classrooms, new rubber track and home of the International Baccalaureate program in HBUHSD. I feel proud to be a sea hawk and look forward to coming here every day. This school is one of the most diverse I've ever seen and students come from all socioeconomic backgrounds and stories. We have an awesome foreign language program with nice and understanding teachers. Every class is challenging and rewarding. I wouldn't want to go to high school anywhere else. You can't spell LOVE without OV and our principal told all of us "I love you".

Posted February 24, 2011

This school had great teachers, nice students, and a wonderful principal who truly cares about his students.

Posted December 7, 2010

I'm currently a student at Ocean View, and I am very happy to be a student there! Teachers care about their students, our pool is better than most in the county, and API is rising. Administration has been working hard to make improvements, and I think they have been successful.

Posted July 11, 2010

i graduated from this school this year and im happy i attended to that school! i got priority at this school because it doesn't have as many students as the other schools around the HB area. they are building a pool now! the classrooms and the buildings are NEW.

Posted April 26, 2010

If your child is not a follower, then this is your school. This especially includes 'quiet' children with good grades and outstanding citizenship. Although hard working administors and teachers are present, counselor is unprofessional and will enable your child to follow the bad crowd (drugs, promiscuity, shoplifting) that you will work hard to remove them from if not remove them from this high school altogether. Huntington High is a much better experience (especially if in APA) yet private school would be your best option for a good education coupled with higher social norms.

Posted April 16, 2010

I attended this school and can only pray that it is better than it was when I was there. They don't have their own pool which is ludicrous considering the money/income of most of the surrounding area. The teachers that were there were some of the worst in the district and absolutely no involvement in their students lives or future careers. Most of the land used for PE, track, football,etc. has been developed into a Costco now and there wasn't enough to begin with. More than a dozen classes are taught in 'portables' basically poorly built mobile homes. The students are too close to strip malls which are directly across the street of Warner and Goldenwest and make it far too easy to 'ditch' or avoid school in general. I don't think I've ever been at a worse school and anyone can graduate.

This school's

(2012)

6 / 10

9 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school did not meet its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

6 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

9 / 10

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

38 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

153 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

162 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

173 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

29 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

382 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

162 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

20 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

383 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

391 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

15 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

80 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

80 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

342 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

111 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

126 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

107 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

360 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

All Students3%

All Studentsn/a
Students with no reported disabilityn/a
Parent education - declined to staten/a

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

400 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

401 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students86%

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 1%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Cooking/Nutrition teacher(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
Security personnel
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Security personnel
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
  • Access to sports fields