Ocean View High School

Public | 10-12 | 1500 students

Posted May 5, 2014

I had the chance to send my son to any HS in the District and I chose Ocean View and after 4 years I will make the same choice for my Daughter. The school is great and the Principal is fantastic. I never had a problem with any teachers or other students. Unlike the larger schools in the area your student is treated like a real person and not a just a student ID number. I have no regrets about choosing this school for my children to attend.

Posted April 9, 2014

I am a teacher and parent, and while I could send my three children to any school in the district, and have in fact worked with all schools in the district, Ocean View is the best and only choice for us. This school has changed my son's life. He began struggling to pass classes and uninterested in sports or clubs. Now he's competing at the varsity level in two sports, progressing in the skills he was struggling with, and has made friends with so many different types of kids. Kids are welcoming and accepting, and teachers are loving and supportive. Our principal and administrative staff know kids by name and the principal says he loves them every day in the announcements. Kids are intolerant of bullying. I've worked here for fourteen years, and while yes, we do have low income areas that feed into the school, and many language learners which lowers our test scores, safety from crime and violence has never been an issue for me. Kids are respectful and caring, of each other and their teachers. Students are encouraged and supported in taking rigorous honors courses and enroll in college. My son and my family love this school, which is why it absolutely deserves a five star rating.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 4, 2014

After four years at this school, I never had a single problem getting involved with sports, academic programs, and clubs. As an I.B student who did basketball for two years and was involved with student government and business academy, as well as multiple other clubs, I can say I truly had the best high school experience a kid could ask for. No regrets. Best years of my life.

Posted April 4, 2014

I am currently attending Ocean View and am a member in various clubs, Business Academy, IB, AP, and the band. Everyone here is really close. This school also has a good Chinese program and were able to visit China with the teacher. The band is all super close with each other and welcomes new members and helps integrate them into the program. I had a lot of fun in the band and felt really welcomed and see new people coming in each year also being welcomed with open arms. Our principal tells us he loves us all the time. It's a good school; although there are some flaws like any other school.

Posted April 4, 2014

Ocean Views IB program is growing and the Business Academy program is also an excellent as well. The aquatics program at Ocean View is also rising in the ranks, with the construction of the new pool in 2011. Ocean View's principal has moved Ocean View towards a more rigorous college prep program. Only college prep approved courses are offered now and more students are taking AP exams. Overall, Ocean View is a good school with helpful staff.

Posted April 4, 2014

The school has a bad reputation, which is for the most part, is untrue. There is no major drug problem here, it exist but it's insignificant which is more than most school can say. The AP/IB program is a noncompetitive programs, where your seat in the class is not at risk every semester like Fountain Valley. Also, almost any students can join any sport. The school however, mostly, is extremely unmotivated to achieve their potential. Only a small portion of students are motivated to do anything. The ASB is possibly the only clique at our school.

Posted April 4, 2014

I really enjoyed Ocean View. It was a place where I was able to grow and find myself. The size of this school is ideal for learning, and the IB program is great for preparing students for college. This year, we had a many students (not just top ten) accepted to top tier schools including Cornell, Rice University, UCLA, USC, Northwestern, Notre Dame, and more. Additionally, more kids were accepted into UCLA than Huntington Beach HS (even with half the student body) this year which signifies the rise of OVHS. The principal, Mr. Bryan, is doing amazing things. He has encouraged students to take more difficult classes and raise the API score (which colleges use to determine the strength of a student's GPA). He is a walking role model considering he himself is working toward getting his doctorate degree. OVHS is not perfect; we do not boast the best football team in the city or have the most spirited student body, but we are definitely not a school to be overlooked. As for drug use, OVHS is on the lower end compared to other high schools in the city. In my four years, not once has there been a large drug issue or police search. Overall, Ocean View is now a top high school in HB.

Posted April 4, 2014

Ocean View High School is just one big family, everybody talks to each other and there's always something to do. When i was a freshman I went to China with a bunch of juniors and seniors, they showed a lot of respect towards me even though they just call me a freshman. The principal here is AWESOME!! He cares about his students and teaching staff. When we have announcements he always says "Take the road less traveled and I love you" I'm a student athlete, and if you're interested in a sport there's no tryouts needed, as long as your interested and willing to work hard in the sport you're on the team.

Posted April 4, 2014

The absolute best school in the huntington beach unified school district. I sent my son here despite other parents trying to convince me that other schools, such as marina or huntington, were better, and after four years, I stand by my decision 100%. He participated in both business academy and the international baccaleureate program, both of which are unavailable at any other school in the district. From these, he was able to recieve an outstanding amount of preparation for his future. One of the many good things about Ocean View its small size, so it's easy not only to get personalized help from teachers, but also to achieve a high student rank. Not to mention, participating in the IB program gave my son recognition at top colleges across the country that I don't think he would have gotten had he not been involved with it. Indeed, as with any high school, there are the groups of students with little ambition and no consideration for their future. However, at ocean view, exclusive programs such as IB, Business Academy, and various clubs have allowed my son to rise above those groups, and ultimately get on track for a great future.

Posted April 4, 2014

I came to this school as a freshman believing that I had been excluded from my friends and would not fit in where my ethnicity was dwarfed by a large latino population, until I discovered how caring the staff and student environment here truly is. Though my grades were poor at the beginning of the year, once my teachers took me into after school discussion and asked how my experience here could be made better, I began to realize how much the staff truly cares about the students. Since Mr. Bryan came to Ocean View, the school has changed enormously, and as a senior about to graduate, I can definitely say that Ocean View has positively influenced me for the better. A combination of its unique programs like International Baccalaureate and the Business Academy as well as College opportunity programs such as AVID contribute to the family atmosphere that the staff has helped make. The WASC Committee recently evaluated Ocean View, and they were dazzled by its warm and comfortable atmosphere, with the member evaluating school atmosphere saying he would send his child to Ocean View. Ocean View's motto, "You can't spell Love without OV" is no understatement, and Ocean View is a great school.

Posted April 4, 2014

Despite what some of the more scathing posts have suggested about Ocean View, this school is very unique, and in a good way. The principal Mr. Bryan is the most positive person I have ever met and has definitely revolutionized the culture of Ocean View. In fact, Mr. Bryan has raised the overall academic performance index at Ocean View. As a current IB/AP student, I can say that the IB/AP students make up a very intelligent and special group. With the small school size, the opportunities are endless for students. The IB program presented me with the opportunity this past summer to live on a South African game reserve and work with environmental scientists for two weeks, while having all expenses paid for by way of a scholarship from a foundation the IB program partnered with. The experience was truly once-in-a-lifetime, and I have only the IB program and the Picerne Foundation to thank. OV also presents students the unique opportunity to participate in any sport without being cut. This year, many students made it into top universities like UCLA, which is only a testament to the spirit of the students who go here. Be a part of a school that is on the rise and something special.

Posted April 4, 2014

Teachers here are very nice and really care about you as a person. Very small school, so you get a lot of attention.

Posted April 4, 2014

This school is one of the best in Huntington Beach, if not the best. A principal that cares and says he loves you weekly. A great marching band, Ya. I went there.

Posted April 4, 2014

Ocean View High School is so awesome It's an honor to attend this school. I love it

Posted April 4, 2014

Ocean View is one of the smallest schools in the district, making it a very close knit campus and community. The principal is phenomenal, absolutely the happiest man on campus- always telling kids that he loves them. The staff is helpful and always determined to improve the learning environment and curriculum. This school just passed its WASC review with flying colors and remarkable reviews. The hateful or derogatory comments below are inaccurate and written out of spite. The students are very active and involved on campus because they are given every opportunity available, despite financial situations or background. The school is known for its stereotypical Hispanic population and while it's true that we have a large amount of Hispanics, it's also true that we are proud of every student on campus. Ocean View is a wonderful school and it deserves more than five stars.

Posted April 4, 2014

The teachers are friendly and the small campus makes it easier to interact with people. There isn't some strict social hierarchy and there are plenty of clubs that make going to this school really fun. Though the IB/AP classes are difficult, there is a lot of support for students to get from the school's staff.

Posted April 4, 2014

Ocean View is a special place. Not many high schools have the same family atmosphere, rigorous academics, and diversity that this one has. It is a school that has constantly improved with more AP/IB classes with kids and teachers who are successful. Even those that take college prep courses are challenged in their coursework. We have opportunities here that other schools in the district and county don't have. This is a place where you can fit in and belong. You can explore your passion and find what you love to do. We take the road less traveled and test scores/ratings don't always tell the true story. As a student, I enjoy being here and will miss OV when I graduate.

Posted April 4, 2014

Its a shame to see some of these comments, especially since there's no verification or justifications for them. The environment is friendly and generally positive. In my 3 years at OV, I haven't had or seen any negative encounters between students or staff. The IB and AP programs are well run, and the school is genuinely interested in offering classes that students want to take, recently adding AP Chem and AP Environmental to the list, as well as IB HL math. Finally, the extracurriculars are much more inclusive, with a smaller student body size and no-cut sports in several areas creating a larger opportunity for first-time sports players, and clubs such as Film Club and OV Robotics, which are involved in much larger events like film festivals and the FIRST organization. Overall, I've seen a much more positive response from students at OV about their school than students from other High Schools in the area.

Posted April 4, 2014

Ocean View High School is wonderful. The IB program and the BA make the school special. It has a wonderful student culture and the smaller student body allows students to participate in more school functions, sports, and clubs than at large sized schools. On a side note, the Chinese program is also wonderful!

Posted April 4, 2014

Attending Ocean View High School was the best decision I have ever made. The staff is incredible, they pay attention to the students and try especially hard to make sure each and every one succeeds. The smaller number of students makes it an easy environment to meet new people and make friends in. The sports are fantastic and everyone is able to participate in some way whether they have never played or have complete experience. The new pool was a great addition to the school and the campus is all around very clean. Ocean View offers the AP/IB program to help kids excel in their academics and pushes them to work hard. There is also Business Academy, ASB, El Viento and a variety of other clubs anyone can participate in. I really have enjoyed my experience here and would never change schools. The people I have met here have had a positive impact on my life and the staff are amazing role models for their students. Overall Ocean View is a school I would highly recommend, everything about it is amazing and the school is like one giant family.

This school's

(2012)

6 / 10

9 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school did not meet its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

6 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

9 / 10

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

38 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

153 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

162 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

173 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

29 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

382 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

162 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

20 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

383 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

391 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

15 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

80 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

80 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

95 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

342 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

111 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

126 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

107 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

360 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

All Students3%

All Studentsn/a
Students with no reported disabilityn/a
Parent education - declined to staten/a

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

400 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

401 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students86%

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 1%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Cooking/Nutrition teacher(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
Security personnel
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• PE instructor(s)
  • Security personnel
Foreign languages spoken by staff
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
  • Access to sports fields