Huntington Beach, CA
Students enrolled: 1,500

Posted May 05, 2014
I had the chance to send my son to any HS in the District and I chose Ocean View and after 4 years I will make the same choice for my Daughter. The school is great and the Principal is fantastic. I never had a problem with any teachers or other students. Unlike the larger schools in the area your student is treated like a real person and not a just a student ID number. I have no regrets about choosing this school for my children to attend.

Posted April 09, 2014
I am a teacher and parent, and while I could send my three children to any school in the district, and have in fact worked with all schools in the district, Ocean View is the best and only choice for us. This school has changed my son's life. He began struggling to pass classes and uninterested in sports or clubs. Now he's competing at the varsity level in two sports, progressing in the skills he was struggling with, and has made friends with so many different types of kids. Kids are welcoming and accepting, and teachers are loving and supportive. Our principal and administrative staff know kids by name and the principal says he loves them every day in the announcements. Kids are intolerant of bullying. I've worked here for fourteen years, and while yes, we do have low income areas that feed into the school, and many language learners which lowers our test scores, safety from crime and violence has never been an issue for me. Kids are respectful and caring, of each other and their teachers. Students are encouraged and supported in taking rigorous honors courses and enroll in college. My son and my family love this school, which is why it absolutely deserves a five star rating.

Posted April 04, 2014
After four years at this school, I never had a single problem getting involved with sports, academic programs, and clubs. As an I.B student who did basketball for two years and was involved with student government and business academy, as well as multiple other clubs, I can say I truly had the best high school experience a kid could ask for. No regrets. Best years of my life.

Posted April 04, 2014
I am currently attending Ocean View and am a member in various clubs, Business Academy, IB, AP, and the band. Everyone here is really close. This school also has a good Chinese program and were able to visit China with the teacher. The band is all super close with each other and welcomes new members and helps integrate them into the program. I had a lot of fun in the band and felt really welcomed and see new people coming in each year also being welcomed with open arms. Our principal tells us he loves us all the time. It's a good school; although there are some flaws like any other school.

Ocean View High School 4

Posted April 04, 2014
Ocean Views IB program is growing and the Business Academy program is also an excellent as well. The aquatics program at Ocean View is also rising in the ranks, with the construction of the new pool in 2011. Ocean View's principal has moved Ocean View towards a more rigorous college prep program. Only college prep approved courses are offered now and more students are taking AP exams. Overall, Ocean View is a good school with helpful staff.

Posted April 04, 2014
The school has a bad reputation, which is for the most part, is untrue. There is no major drug problem here, it exist but it's insignificant which is more than most school can say. The AP/IB program is a noncompetitive programs, where your seat in the class is not at risk every semester like Fountain Valley. Also, almost any students can join any sport. The school however, mostly, is extremely unmotivated to achieve their potential. Only a small portion of students are motivated to do anything. The ASB is possibly the only clique at our school.

Posted April 04, 2014
I really enjoyed Ocean View. It was a place where I was able to grow and find myself. The size of this school is ideal for learning, and the IB program is great for preparing students for college. This year, we had a many students (not just top ten) accepted to top tier schools including Cornell, Rice University, UCLA, USC, Northwestern, Notre Dame, and more. Additionally, more kids were accepted into UCLA than Huntington Beach HS (even with half the student body) this year which signifies the rise of OVHS. The principal, Mr. Bryan, is doing amazing things. He has encouraged students to take more difficult classes and raise the API score (which colleges use to determine the strength of a student's GPA). He is a walking role model considering he himself is working toward getting his doctorate degree. OVHS is not perfect; we do not boast the best football team in the city or have the most spirited student body, but we are definitely not a school to be overlooked. As for drug use, OVHS is on the lower end compared to other high schools in the city. In my four years, not once has there been a large drug issue or police search. Overall, Ocean View is now a top high school in HB.

Posted April 04, 2014
Ocean View High School is just one big family, everybody talks to each other and there's always something to do. When i was a freshman I went to China with a bunch of juniors and seniors, they showed a lot of respect towards me even though they just call me a freshman. The principal here is AWESOME!! He cares about his students and teaching staff. When we have announcements he always says "Take the road less traveled and I love you" I'm a student athlete, and if you're interested in a sport there's no tryouts needed, as long as your interested and willing to work hard in the sport you're on the team.

Posted April 04, 2014
The absolute best school in the huntington beach unified school district. I sent my son here despite other parents trying to convince me that other schools, such as marina or huntington, were better, and after four years, I stand by my decision 100%. He participated in both business academy and the international baccaleureate program, both of which are unavailable at any other school in the district. From these, he was able to recieve an outstanding amount of preparation for his future. One of the many good things about Ocean View its small size, so it's easy not only to get personalized help from teachers, but also to achieve a high student rank. Not to mention, participating in the IB program gave my son recognition at top colleges across the country that I don't think he would have gotten had he not been involved with it. Indeed, as with any high school, there are the groups of students with little ambition and no consideration for their future. However, at ocean view, exclusive programs such as IB, Business Academy, and various clubs have allowed my son to rise above those groups, and ultimately get on track for a great future.

Posted April 04, 2014
I came to this school as a freshman believing that I had been excluded from my friends and would not fit in where my ethnicity was dwarfed by a large latino population, until I discovered how caring the staff and student environment here truly is. Though my grades were poor at the beginning of the year, once my teachers took me into after school discussion and asked how my experience here could be made better, I began to realize how much the staff truly cares about the students. Since Mr. Bryan came to Ocean View, the school has changed enormously, and as a senior about to graduate, I can definitely say that Ocean View has positively influenced me for the better. A combination of its unique programs like International Baccalaureate and the Business Academy as well as College opportunity programs such as AVID contribute to the family atmosphere that the staff has helped make. The WASC Committee recently evaluated Ocean View, and they were dazzled by its warm and comfortable atmosphere, with the member evaluating school atmosphere saying he would send his child to Ocean View. Ocean View's motto, "You can't spell Love without OV" is no understatement, and Ocean View is a great school.

Ocean View High School
17071 Gothard Street, Huntington Beach, CA  92647
Last modified Ocean View High School is a Public school that serves grades 10-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ocean View High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 72 reviews. Top