Huntington Beach, CA

Posted June 15, 2014
Our children attend Village View and we are very happy with the school. Great staff, and a wonderful new principal. My children have excelled both academically and socially at Village View. Sadly, there are some students with behavioral issues that take a significant amount of the staff's time and attention. The fact that Village View was just selected as a California Distinguished School is a testament to all of the hard work of the staff and the majority of parents at the school who are responsible and involved in the children's education.

Posted May 11, 2014
Village View just received the California Distinguished School Award for excellence. I'm so sad people have shared such negative remarks about the staff. Individual problems do not necessarily reflect the whole school.

Village View Elementary School 2

Posted April 28, 2014
My child still has scars from attending this school. One of the teachers my child had clearly did not like my child and my child knew it. It was very difficult and sad. In 4th Grade, my child would often get study guides on Friday nights for tests on Monday. My child had up to 1.5-2 hours of homework a night which I call "academic brutality." The principal and teacher at that time would not listen to me when I tried to get my daughter help with being bullied (I had already worked with her at home for over a year). They instead made light of it. The teacher even "grilled" my child in front of me, basically accusing my child of dishonesty. That same bully continued to bully my child in Middle School. The upper class parents run the school as far as I can see. A very cold atmosphere if you were not in the "In crowd." Loved the music teacher and Mrs. Mikealean. Both were kind and loving people who seemed to care about kids more than their room environment. I hope the principal today is someone who is warm and cares, like Mr. Jetzer was. Some staff took a needy child under their wing. The child got special privileges. My child was hurt when she could not get some attention too. Wrong!

Village View Elementary School 4

Posted April 10, 2014
My daughter attends Village View and the Kids Club after school program. I was concerned when my daughter had to leave private school due to financial constraints. Her first year at Village View has been better than I could have hoped. The Kids Club is great. The kids are supervised and encouraged to participate in group activities. My daughter has not had any negative experiences and her grades are wonderful.

Posted March 24, 2014
YAY Village View up 16 points in API test. All the hard work of the teachers and our kids is really paying off. The new principal is present and engaged and it feels like the school is going in the right direction! I guess the API tests are just more proof!

Village View Elementary School 4

Posted August 11, 2013
The whole system is struggling & our teachers get the wrath for it. This year i was terrified when i found out my child was going into a combo class. Thankfully Miss. Davis (who was new to our school) was fantastic. She was so great with the kids & knew how to balance the k/1.She would cater to each child differently, suited to their personality (every child is different and not one way of teaching works for alll. She recognized this). Unfortunately miss. Davis is a temp. & has not been hired back. Every parent was so sad. It is the board that should start cracking down & making changes, listening to voices. PTA has a tough job. They dont like Asking for money, but our school & kids need fundraisers to have supplies & programs People are blaming our teachers for sending flyers home....our teachers dont want to send them home. The teachers are given those flyers to put in the folders. We cant rely on teachers 100%. These are our children,we need to help too. If they arent being challenged enough at school, speak up or challenge them at home. One teacher and 29 students, come on now, lets give them a break & try to come together as a community for our children.

Posted April 24, 2013
This school has gone down hill. The teachers have been allowed to run the show due to a revolving door on the principal's office over the past 5 years. Any principal at this school is powerless over the teachers. There are many teachers at this school who have no business teaching children. All the teachers care about is collecting their paycheck and pension, with the exception of only 2 or 3 teachers. If you have a boy "watch out". Teachers have been reprimanded for bullying boys and almost every boy is berated and deemed to have ADD or ADHD simply because they are boys. Without the school's PTA there would be no music, no art, no computers, nothing, so fundraising is important to give the kids the basics, otherwise the school would be bare bones. The buildings are very old, the driveway entrance is a nightmare and dangerous and no one who takes a paycheck at the school cares enough to make needed changes. If you are covered in tattoos and have pierced lips you will fit in perfectly as a parent at this school - if not, look elsewhere to educate your child, especially if you want a positive learning environment.

Posted February 27, 2013
There is a fantastic new principal here at Village View. Her leadership is to commended. I read some of the other reviews here and I don't think it is fair to judge the teachers because of fliers that go home for fundraising via the PTA. The teachers spend large portions of their own money for supplies, center activities, etc for the students. With the budget cuts around the state, fundraising is a fact of life. I have been to other schools and Village View has had one fundraiser this year, the silent auction, compared to when we were in South County, we had a flier come home every two weeks for some type of fundraiser. The teachers at Village are fair and consistent. They love the students are always helping. Again, when I was in Capistrano Unified, I saw teachers berating students in the hallways, constantly complaining and they were miserable. I have never seen that at Village View. The teachers differentiate instruction for all students, they utilize the resources available on campus to enhance learning and they are great communicators.

Posted December 14, 2012
Unfortunately, I have to agree with the bad reviews about this school. And we are on the other side of the coin. My son is academically very advanced, very social and active child. Unfortunately, these teacher have absolutely no idea how to engage advanced kids into activities that will be interesting for them and help them improve even better. He is extremely bored, his homework takes him less than 10 minutes, and he is not encouraged to advance any further. Also, if you are a working parent and are unable to volunteer your time and engage in all the teacher gossiping and cattiness, your child s academic performance will go unrecognized and he will have to witness unfair treatment, which is very bad for a small child s self esteem. I also heard from other parents that some of these teachers pick on kids which is extremely wrong. I only hope that the new principle gets more involved and closely supervises these teachers work if they want to see any improvement. Because whether your child needs help or he is an advanced child, a lot of these teachers lack basic skills for working with children in general. We will be changing schools next year.

Posted July 21, 2012
Do not enroll your child in this school. The principal is horrible as well as the "kids club" after school program. Some of the teachers are ok but I really have nothing positive to say about this school. Too much gossip and catiness between staff and I have to agree with too much fundrasing and "money". When did schools become about money not to mention the "huge" class sizes.

Village View Elementary School
5361 Sisson Drive, Huntington Beach, CA  92649
Last modified Village View Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Village View Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 46 reviews. Top