Huntington Beach, CA
Before care: Yes
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

We invite you to visit with us during our Open House called "Bookmark Pegasus" on December 6, 2014 from 10 AM until 1 PM. Select from 9 different workshops designed for parents and students to learn more about our school. Register on our website at www.thepegasusschool.org to attend
October 24, 2014

Posted October 22, 2014
We have been part of the Pegasus family over the last four years, and we are extremely happy. We currently have two children at the school. From day one, our kids have come home from school absolutely ecstatic about their classrooms, teachers, and curriculum. Our children are naturally quite shy, however they have blossomed with confidence over the years at Pegasus. All of their teachers have placed a huge emphasis on public speaking and memorization. Their abilities have soared! I can only imagine how great they will be when they are adults. I am also amazed by all that they learn in a given day. From Readers and Writers workshops to math, science, art & PE, they are exposed to so many different thoughts and processes of which they retain. The consistency and flow of the topics that are reinforced from classroom to classroom really do foster a great place for our children to learn. If you are considering Pegasus as an option for your child, I highly recommend the school.

Posted October 08, 2014
My kids have been at Pegasus for the last few years and we have enjoyed every moment of being at the school. However, this year the energy and enthusiasm at the school are amazing. The new head of school brings his amazing experience and wealth of knowledge that is already impacting the school very positively.

The Pegasus School 1

Posted August 31, 2014
This school is not about Gifted kids and from our experience with the Admissions process, its completely about bringing wealthy parents onboard. We applied because we heard it was tailored for Gifted kids and got a very nice reception initially, but after we filed our application their attitudes changed. Our son has been identified as High Gifted and everyone loves him, but after going through their intake/assessment, we were told he scored at the top of the scale on the Quant tests but was being turned down. It was very clear that the school is all about catering to the parents that will donate the most money.

Posted July 27, 2014
Our daughter completed her first year at Pegasus after having attended public school for several year. We could not be happier with our choice to move her to Pegasus. This school is a great choice for studious children who love to learn and be challenged. Throughout the school year she was moved several times to more challenging or less challenging classes depending on her need. The teachers always made sure she was in the most appropriate classes for her and communicated with us throughout the process. Some have expressed concerned about the wealthy families and yes, there are a lot of wealthy families attending this school but we did not find any bratty children or over the top parents running the school (this was much more the case at our local public elementary school). All in all we are very happy with Pegasus and are looking forward to several more years at this school.

The Pegasus School 2

Posted November 03, 2013
To the Sept 23rd comment that Pegasus employees are not writing on this site, if you scroll down to the July 23rd comment below the poster identifies themselves as a Pegasus employee. Also if you read over the reviews for the last several years a glowing review appears the instant a negative comment is posted you have to be extremely naive to think parents just happen to run across the site and post instantly when a negative comment is made. Also I posted about my experience with the admissions process and checking now, the comment has been removed despite it being completely factual. Pegasus should more honest about the fact it caters to wealthy parents rather than gifted children.

Posted September 23, 2013
In response to the assumption made on Sept 14th that, " Pegasus school personnel" are writing the 5 star reviews, I can assure you that that is not the case. I wrote one of the five star reviews. As a former Pegasus parent whose child was educated through the latter elementary grades and middle school, I feel I can speak knowledgeably about the school. Our daughter was always pushed to reach her potential, and received a top-knotch, well-rounded education from caring teachers. She is now thriving at a highly competitive high school. I can assure you also that I have never worked for the school.

Posted September 15, 2013
We transferred our child here from a public school, where she was in the GATE program. Although she was in GATE, we found that she was simply not getting the tailored attention that she needed, i.e., she often finished her work early and was left to read on her own while others caught up or was forced to revisit math concepts she had long since mastered. We can see that, at Pegasus, the instruction is appropriately tailored to the child, as opposed to the other way around -- we love this, as so does our daughter. My daughter really likes her fellow students and has commented that this is a place where it is cool to be smart. Looking forward to the rest of the year being as great as the start. Holding back one star to see how things shape up over the course of the year.

Posted September 14, 2013
It is apparent that their is a disgruntled parent writing the majority of bad reviews and Pegasus school personnel writing the majority of five-star reviews. Thus, I consider both extremes invalid. Can an unbiased parent please list the positives and negatives associated with this school? Specifically, I have been informed by a knowledgeable university professor that there is no reason beyond extracurricular activities to send my child to Pegasus if he/she is a top student in the public schools because the curriculum is the same. (Pegasus apparently does not have four-year-olds or many young five-year-olds in kindergarten. Thus, the kindergarten is more academic but the public schools catch up by second grade.) This professor believes Pegasus is a great choice for kids who are in the middle third in the public schools. The small class sizes, nurturing environment and different approach to learning can often benefit these children. Would current or former Pegasus parents agree with this assessment?

Posted August 14, 2013
When my younger son started preK two years ago, he barely spoke in class (after a couple of days when he finally managed to speak up during a class discussion, a classmate shouted "He can talk!" as I was told), rarely made eye contact and hardly engaged with anyone during recess. By the end of the school year, he had transformed into a very confident and social child who ran around the playground like it was his backyard with his friends. His preK teachers provided him with not only academical stimulation but the nurturing that he needed to be able to thrive in school and he couldn't have had a better year. His kindergarten year was no different. My olders kids who started Pegasus in 1st grade has always been met with strong and well-rounded curriculum and enthusiastic teachers who always challenge them. When I picked them up after school, my three kids can't wait to share their day with me and often they comment that "This was the best day!" What more could a parent ask for but knowing that your children LOVE school! My youngest child is entering preK this fall. I just can't wait for her to experience all that Pegasus had to offer!

Posted August 10, 2013
As I read the "reviews" on Great Schools, it occurs to me that extreme feelings are what generally motivates a person to post. For some it is a love of the school; while for others it is disdain for the school. Rarely do you get the back story of what prompted the post. For this reason, I caution anyone from placing any weight on what they see here. It simply does not reflect the experience of the average family at any given school. Additionally, every child & family is unique. What works or doesn't work for one is not universally the answer for all. If you are making the VERY difficult decision of choosing a school for your family, take the time to visit the school, heck, visit a few. Get a first hand account of what is being offered out there & formulate your own opinion for your own family. While your there talk to the students, they're happiness and success is what matters most & they'll give you a truly honest assessment. I often ask my kids what they think of Pegasus & they always respond they love it (even on bad days, which happen). They say it's all about the fun they have every day with their amazing friends & teachers.That's good enough for our family.

The Pegasus School