Northwood High School 2

Posted February 03, 2014
I am a sophomore, and I believe the school's teachers are alright, but their class policy sucks because if you are in a classroom that has a bad teacher and class, you HAVE to stay in it for the rest of the year which to me, is a devastating effect on my grades and GPA.

Posted October 27, 2013
Sierra Vista is a great school in Irvine District and the United States and California!

Northwood High School 3

Posted September 17, 2013
This school says their athletic programs are good, but in reality, some of the coaches in some athletic programs are really lousy and don't know how to motivate students. In particular, an athletic program which starts with a letter "c", I found the coaching to be very poor, which is pity because the school should really take athletic programs as seriously as their Arts or Music Programs.

Posted May 08, 2013
Great school that offers students a full dimensional educational experience that goes far beyond academic excellence! Our son who is a freshman has grown tremendously not only in the classroom but also in the athletic field and the symphonic band. While there are couple courses that can use some better equipped teacher, overall NHS has offered our children a great, full dimensional education.

Posted December 27, 2011
No words to describe about Northwood High School Academic Performance. It is simply Astonishing and two thumbs up.

Northwood High School 1

Posted December 18, 2011
I am a junior. Although the instruction and counseling are decent and the material not too challenging, the workload is overwhelming. It would easily rival (or outrival) that of Asian countries. For so much work, the test scores are still not as impressive as Uni High. Also, the honors students are arrogant and intolerant. An elitist attitude prevails, and the honors students ridicule the non-honors students. Basically, they are ardent believers of survival of the fittest. Worse yet, the school is rigidly structured, limiting opportunities for non-honors students but maximizing those for honors students. There is also a lot of ethnic tension between different groups of Asian students.Furthermore, the students are hostile towards conservative politics. So if you are a non-honors/conservative student, expect to be utterly suppressed.

Posted December 18, 2011
I'm currently a freshman at NHS, and it is the best experience I could ever ask for. I'm taking both honors and non-honors classes, but the teachers genuinely want to prepare you for a sucessful future. There are tons of clubs to choose from during lunch, and the campus is breathtaking. We have 45 minutes twice a week to ask teachers questions, which is very helpful. I hope this helps!

Posted November 30, 2011
The school is absolutely breathtaking; building designs, academics (education received), teachers, and even the people roaming the campus. Northwood is a great school where the competition to achieve perfection is well sought throughout each student. Even as its birth since 1999, it has climbed up the ranks and is now situated to be 7th in the top ten best schools in Orange County. Northwood High is a multicultural high school where top-notch students expand their learning in a competitive environment as well as mature and discover their identity through elective classes such arts (visual, performing), business and technology courses, world languages, science/history/social science courses that go beyond core subjects (Horticulture, Psychology, Economics, Anatomy/Physiology, etc), as well as English courses exceed the core subject (Journalism, NHS Howler Newspaper, Speech and Debate, Broadcast Communications, etc), and also our vast range of award-winning sports. Northwood provides an elite education as well as a community filled with students that are motivated, highly determined, welcoming, and admirable.

Posted November 19, 2011
I'm currently a sophomore at NHS and I love this school. My parents and I moved to Irvine the summer before freshman year and we chose between Northwood High and Uni. I decided I wasn't up for the pressure of Uni and chose Northwood - I'm so glad I did. Though I was new, I quickly made friends. I found that the students were a lot more friendly than those in the city I previously lived in. The academics are stellar at this school. The teachers I had during freshman year were some of the best I've ever had, and the teachers I have right now are awesome too. Northwood High even has 45 minutes twice a week to ask teachers if you need help on anything. However, Northwood High isn't totally academic-focused and also has great extracurriculars. The music programs are great and they offer a ton of clubs, sports, etc. for you to join. I have no regrets about coming here. If you're searching for a good school for your kids look no further!

Northwood High School 3

Posted October 26, 2011
Northwood promotes a very different curriculum which can provide your child with a great education. However the school prefers to polarize its students into two groups: The honors and the regular students. If your child is placed in the lower bracket, good luck. Most of the teacher's teach the curriculum as if the student was in the honors classes. Also the math program as Northwood high school is atrocious. The books focus on concepts, but they have very little in the way of actual problems, so it is challenging for students to learn the basics and practice the basics. The Integrated science program also has serious issues. On paper, it sounds like a great idea. Students explore the various fields of science so they can see what they are interested. In reality, majority of students are confused because they do not learn enough of any one concept. So if your child is really smart and is part of the Gate program, they will probably benefit from the difficult course load. If you consider your child normal, your child will find the school very challenging and become frustrated with courses. I gave it a ranking of 3 starts: 5 for advanced students, 1 for normal students.

Northwood High School
4515 Portola Parkway, Irvine, CA  92620
Last modified Northwood High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Northwood High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 52 reviews.