Irvine, CA
Students enrolled: 1,953

Northwood High School
Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted June 09, 2015
My son run into a couple of bad and lazy teachers who either lost many of his work or forget to enter his grade properly into the system even if his papers were graded. When I challenged her on the last day of school, she still refused, citing that the change wouldn't make any difference anyway. WTF. The assistant principal blamed us for not bringing this up sooner. In fact my son repeatedly reminded the teacher to correct his grade.

Northwood High School 3

Posted May 07, 2015
I am a sophomore at Northwood. If you are planning on transferring into the district or moving into the area which Northwood is in, I would advise you not to. Irvine in general is a very competitive place and Northwood truly embodies this competitiveness. I moved here from a small town in the fifth grade and learned quickly that this was going to be a very hard adjustment. When I reached highschool I suffered tremendously. A majority of the teachers here at Northwood simply do not teach, instead they will hand you a worksheet and make you work on it and understand the material. There are a few gifted students will go to some of the top universities but a majority of us are left hoping to get into a UC. Had I stayed in my old school I would have easily become a 4.0 student with ability to go to any college I want. With that being said, Northwood will decrease your chances of getting into a good college but will help you tremendously when you get to college. Hope this helps!
2 people found this helpful

Posted January 27, 2015
Ok, so you might have heard about how Northwood's sports "suck" or everyone here is "snobby" but the reality is that the students who write these reviews are not taking advantage of the great clubs, fine arts, academics, and sports Northwood has to offer. I am a junior and I'm in one year-round sport, 5 college-prep level classes, one Honors class, and 4 clubs. Northwood's teachers truly care about the students and although the academics may be challenging, the teachers are available for you to ask questions after class or during tutorial (tutorial is a 40 minute study-hall like period every Tuesday and Thursday where we can go ask questions or finish homework or study for tests). Our sports at Northwood go to CIF regularly. Also, our fine arts programs such as choral music, instrumental music, and drama are above average and our school has won 6 Grammys. I do not understand how students who actually try to get good grades at Northwood could hate it so much when almost all of the students are genuinely nice.

Northwood High School 1

Posted January 04, 2015
I chose Northwood mainly because of the API scores but that was surely a BIG MISTAKE. This school doesn't know what a quality education means. For every class, all tests are multiple choice on a scantron sheet, and there are no analytical or critical thinking problems. Therefore Northwood academics is purely about memorisation, and you don't actually learn. Also, the school only cares about test results. Getting an A on a project you worked hard on won't alter your grade, because the school doesn't bother to evaluate whether you really DO understand the material or how creative you are. In addition, many teachers don't know how to teach. They assign multiple chapters to read and make a full test (not a quiz) out of it the next class, without going over the material even once. So if you have questions, there is no chance to ask them and you must face the test with uncertainties. Parents, you must know that the 10/10 rating is merely based on test scores. High API scores does NOT mean that a school is excellent, and vice versa. If you agree that memorisation is not the right way to go, avoid Northwood and consider schools that actually motivate and teach students, such as Woodbridge.
6 people found this helpful

Northwood High School 1

Posted September 18, 2014
Let's get this straight - it's a great school if you are fine with having some of the worst athletics in the state, okay with being considered "below average" in academics if your not in geometry as a freshman, or okay with being in a school of snobby kids who think they are so much better than you, when they are really not. Back to athletics. This school is a joke athletically, all sports, especially football. The coaches think they are professional league coaches, and so do the athletes. Every now and then there are a few good athletes that come out of this school but they are definitely few and far between. There are a couple really good teachers, but the problem is the teachers are either really good or really bad. Then the academic levels. Basically every College Prep class here would be AP or Honors in any other school, and the amount of nightly homework and projects is downright ridiculous. There is also the anchors which are completely stupid, and useless. Like I said earlier, all the students here are snobby and spoiled and think they deserve everything, it's really hard to respect any of them when they don't give you the same respect, same goes for most of the teachers.
3 people found this helpful

Northwood High School 2

Posted February 03, 2014
I am a sophomore, and I believe the school's teachers are alright, but their class policy sucks because if you are in a classroom that has a bad teacher and class, you HAVE to stay in it for the rest of the year which to me, is a devastating effect on my grades and GPA.
3 people found this helpful

Posted October 27, 2013
Sierra Vista is a great school in Irvine District and the United States and California!

Northwood High School 3

Posted September 17, 2013
This school says their athletic programs are good, but in reality, some of the coaches in some athletic programs are really lousy and don't know how to motivate students. In particular, an athletic program which starts with a letter "c", I found the coaching to be very poor, which is pity because the school should really take athletic programs as seriously as their Arts or Music Programs.

Posted May 08, 2013
Great school that offers students a full dimensional educational experience that goes far beyond academic excellence! Our son who is a freshman has grown tremendously not only in the classroom but also in the athletic field and the symphonic band. While there are couple courses that can use some better equipped teacher, overall NHS has offered our children a great, full dimensional education.

Posted December 27, 2011
No words to describe about Northwood High School Academic Performance. It is simply Astonishing and two thumbs up.

Northwood High School
4515 Portola Parkway, Irvine, CA  92620
Last modified Northwood High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Northwood High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 58 reviews. Top