Posted May 26, 2015
BUYER BEWARE.... I had 2 kids in this school for a whole 2 months. I pulled them out faster than you can say no. First grade 2 team teacher, bullied my son. Scolded him everyday for a being a typical 6 year old boy. On parent night they told all parents they expect their children to act and behave like good little children ( robots ). No moving on your chair, after sitting for over 30 min., they will make a behavioral chart and write evry negative thing your child did. I don't care if they have tons of kids in their house, they have no business being teachers. They don't have enough training. My daughter was in 5th grade, and was BULLIED, by a low class child, who had major family issues and they lived with their grandfather in this area. Very troubled family without a father and can't afford to live anywhere else. It got so bad, I had to involve the police in the situation. Which did nothing. They say 0 tolerance for bulling, but it's crock of you know what. Bullies are very sneaky and do it very quiet when no one is listening. The so called principle did her own investigation, and came up empty. Wow.. Instead shadowing this BULLY, she made my daughter feel like the victim. There is so much more about the principle, but I think I gave you enough to go on, and make your own decisions. LOOKS ARE DECEIVING.

Posted June 24, 2014
What has happened at this school is very sad. District placed a principal here who has no ability, personality, or knowledge to oversee a school with such a fine reputation. Ten staff members left her first year. Office staff quit mid-year and some teachers will retire early in her second year. Some parents have left PTA, School Council, and principal has assigned her tasks to other staff members and this will increase next year. Wake up, IUSD! Don't keep going the wrong way with your eyes closed.

Alderwood Elementary School 3

Posted June 18, 2014
As this school year ends it is evident that the teaching staff is getting "clicky" and god help you if your child doesn't end up in one of the "clicky" teachers classrooms. The divisiveness between staff members is being reflected in the classroom and the children. Hopefully the principal will make some drastic changes but I don't see that happening. So sad to see the path this school is currently on.

Posted June 11, 2014
My child has been in this school for 5 years and is the 5th/6th combo class. We have been lucky to have the best teachers every year. But I have been most disappointed this year by the Administration. The principal does not participate in any activities. She seems to have appointed 2 asst principals to handle issues. Most parents do not know who she is. One of the reasons this was a distinguished school was parent participation. Now all I hear are complaints. New teachers do not seem to get any support. Who appoints a brand new teacher for a upper grade combo? That is setting her up to fail. The computer access is limited for that supposed GATE class and the students have been bringing computers from home. The teacher has been phenomenal, very creative and excellent in implementing common core. That is the only reason I have not complained.Now my child tells me that the teacher (I shall not mention her name) is not going to be retained. I now understand why many parents of younger children are selling and are moving away to other parts of Irvine.. The number of teachers retiring or leaving seems to be above average for any school. site. Hopefully IUSD will do something about this.

Posted June 05, 2014
Worst Principal. she doesn't know to manage. my kid was in a joint 5 + 6 class. all the kids loved the class teacher, Ms. Ward. most kids in my kids class did not know a complete section in thier California Math test that would have qualified them for a more advanced Math class in middle school. The students in the other 6 grade classes were able to take that section of the test because they were taught. when asked, the class teacher says that the principal asked her not to teach this section. i dont know why the pricipal sis this, but the consequeence of this is that the kids in this class will not be able to get into advanced math classes in middle school. careless staff. i would give this school an 8 / 10 i would give a 0 / 10 for the principal.
3 people found this helpful

Alderwood Elementary School 3

Posted May 06, 2014
Alderwood seemed great at first. I even volunteered at the school on a weekly basis. I am not the type to hear rumors and believe them, until it happened to me. Bottom line, the principal at this school is not qualified to have that position and does not belong here. The rest of the staff are nice, my son loves his Kindergarden teacher, he made great friends and only attended kindergarten. There were a few instaces where staff was not watching my special needs child be bullied by a child in another class. The staff investigated and the incidents were true, yet they are considering it as "not bullying." As a result, I am moving out of this school since the incident with the principal and won't come back to this school, unless a brand new principal is assigned to it. The district has been good and attentive to listen to my concerns so I will give IUSD another chance by attending another school. If this does not work out then I am considering a private school for my child. Overall the school is great in academics. So sad that we had that happen to us and the principal is the main cause of us leaving the school. Hoping what happened to us will never happen to anyone.
3 people found this helpful

Posted October 24, 2013
I'm very disappointed with the front office staff. Two out of three memebers don't smile, make eye contact or greet you. They don't even know their own forms. You can tell they dony care about their job. I now truly understand what the previous posts meant about the front office.

Alderwood Elementary School 5

Posted September 15, 2013
My son has been going to Alderwood for 4 years and has only experienced the best. Every teacher he has had has given him the desire to learn. There is not a year he hasn't enjoyed. My experience here is that the teachers love to teach. With any school, parent involvement is the key, and at Alderwood, there is plenty of opportunities to get involved in the classroom or at other school events through the PTA. The more I'm involved the more this place becomes family and home. At this school, the principal, the teachers and the parents (PTA) work together making education fun. Last school year, the 3rd graders got to experience going to the Planetarium, the 2nd graders got to learn about Gold Mining at Knott's Berry Farm, and the rest of the grade got to experience similar Field Trips. Not only does this school focus just on education, but it emphasizes community. We have many events such as Family Movie Night, Red Ribbon Week, International Night that celebrate the vibrant and diverse culture here at the school. It's a great place to be at and we are pretty blessed to be part of this school.

Posted May 19, 2013
I would not give this school a ten. The only reason they have a high grade is due to the parents teaching their kids prior to school, not at all due to the teachers...they don't teach! The school needs help with diversity...poor second grade teachers...

Alderwood Elementary School 5

Posted June 20, 2012
Amazing school! Amazing teachers! The second grade team is fantastic. The principal has made such an impact there. Sad to see her leave. I am proud to send my children here.

Alderwood Elementary School
2005 Knollcrest, Irvine, CA  92603
Last modified Alderwood Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Alderwood Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 74 reviews. Top