Posted October 31, 2013
BC is a very special school. The principal, teachers, aides, and office staff care about the students deeply. They know each student by name and their families well. They know how each student is unique and how they learn best. For example, our son had a bumpy start in his combo class at the beginning of school. After we shared that with the principal, he went into his class to check on our son and gave us an update the same day. The students and teachers have a positive attitude about learning. They are not in denial of the challenges, but instead they are hopeful. They seek for improvements and growth daily. As for the appearance of the school, it is the most beautiful and intimate school that I have seen. Yes, there are no fences, but it is still very safe because of the community alertness . We have people and policemen visible throughout the day. University High School, a few blocks away, has a police staff on duty at the school site. We have police patrols keeping our students safe as they walk to and from school. There is no perfect school, because we live in an imperfect world. However, BC strives to be better each day which makes it a very special school.

Posted October 17, 2013
we moved from other irvine school to BC, so far one of the best school. principle is friendly, staff are nice, teacher is great, and parents are very friendly. I have heard a lot of good things about this school.

Posted May 17, 2013
This school is really great! It is very small for a public school. About two classes per grade. It makes it easy to meet people. I feel like I know almost all the parents of the kids in my kids grades. Its great because we help each other out with carpooling and doing favors for each other. The teachers are great too. I do not feel like I need to supplement with alot of "mommy's homework." Many prudent parents do give their children extra lessons, but its not absolutely necessary. The academics are high but its not a competitive or stressful atmosphere. We all want our own kids to suceed but the parents are nice and dont gossip about other kids or act jealous of high achieving kids. We switched to this school from a neighboring school and Im so glad I did!

Bonita Canyon Elementary School 1

Posted April 29, 2013
When I first moved to OC I research which district was known to be "the best." I had to move at a moment's notice but I saw that Irvine was best known to be the top and had dazzling high API scores. The school that my son went to in LA had an API score of 100 less than Bonita but after being here for 2 years, I am TOTALLY disappointed. The school only cares about ONE thing, API scores! They teach the kids only academics and directly to the standards. Plus, the teachers send the kids home with so much homework and the parents end up having to teach the children the lessons themselves. We have from his K & 1st grade an enormous 4 ft. x 3 ft. filled with STUNNING and creative pieces of artwork that my son created, some so beautiful that we had them professionally framed. This school does not care about art, music, or how to raise children with traits like compassion, kindness, community, or team work. My son has Autism and is VERY high functioning. They have segregated him from the mainstream every chance they could get and quite frankly didn't even want him to take the standardized tests. I love the area where we live so much but we are moving because of this school.

Bonita Canyon Elementary School 4

Posted September 05, 2012
Great school, wonderful staff and my kids feel very at home here. You do need to give your children additional instruction at home. I think because of shorter days the extra instruction has to come from parents.

Posted December 16, 2011
There is another reason why Bonita is the #1 elementary in OC. They pressure kids and their families tremendously to have the best scores, parents have to teach their kids or hire tutors to keep up with the demands, and will invite those kids that struggle or learn differently to leave the school and be placed in special day classes at other schools. This is no fault of the teachers, they are under tremendous pressure as well. It is a trend within the IUSD that they have to prove that they are THE BEST district at whatever cost, and this school takes this even more seriously. So anyone that does not conform to the mold, will indeed fall through the cracks (or will eventually leave).

Posted December 15, 2011
There is a reason why Bonita is rated #1 elementary in OC, it is fantastic. It's not too big compared to other public schools, and the teachers are fantastic. I did the private school route first, and wish I'd started at Bonita first. My oldest daughter learned more in a month at Bonita than she did in a year at private school. All three of my children love the school. Parents are very involved & it is a great community.

Bonita Canyon Elementary School 4

Posted May 18, 2011
Bonita Canyon Elementary has some wonderful teachers and a great new Principal, Mr. Bob Curley. The parents are very involved and the PTA is very proactive. However, due to the State budget, all IUSD schools have been impacted. The class sizes are very large (35 students) and many activities have been cut due to the State budget. Even school administrators admit that no matter how things shape up, it will not be pretty.

Posted July 28, 2010
Over-rated. Not as great as everyone claim it to be. The teacher for my child was more interested in fitting them in a box rather than teaching based on their needs. Hopefully the new principal will provide more leadership. Needless to say, we are not the only one pulling our child out of this school after this year's experience.

Posted June 03, 2010
Have always loved this school up to 3rd grade but 4th grade was HORRIBLE the teacher was unorganized, scattered, would go off on tangents and just seemed overwhelmed and stressed out. I'm pulling my child out because we can't afford anther bad year. What other parents say is that Bonita is great for K-3, then they switch their kids to Turtle Rock for 4-6. Wish I would have known that sooner.

Bonita Canyon Elementary School
1 Sundance, Irvine, CA  92603
Last modified Bonita Canyon Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Bonita Canyon Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 35 reviews. Top