Irvine, CA

Canyon View Elementary School 4

Posted December 20, 2014
The teachers are fantastic! All three that my child had at Canyon View were really great and my kid does fantastic academically. One strange thing that we had experienced at this school is the clicky parents who consider themselves "tough crowd". So if you are new, expect to be approached by one of them with an invitation to their "secret society" get togethers for the kids with such language as "I know this is a tough crowd but we would like to invite you...etc" So forget all about the meeting you had yesterday with national buyers for high end department stores that carry your clothing line, or casting directors that book your kid for international projects-that's no tough crowd...these PTA moms are tough crowd. Lol. Great school besides the delusional parents "tough crowd" crew.

Posted August 29, 2014
Canyon View has a bullying problem. The administration does not take bullying seriously, despite them fact them telling you they do, particularly in the lower grades. The teachers and the administration don't feel the need to tell parents if their child has been bullied by another kid. They will only talk to the bully's parents, and in some cases they don't even do that. Classrooms are over-crowded and the teaching staff is woefully uneducated in how to handle problem students and bullying situations. For us, the teacher could not control one kid in her class so we went to the principal, who is now the principal of the newest elementary school in IUSD. Despite promises to stop the bullying, the bullying continued and the student responsible for the bullying was given little to no consequences by the school. What the school will tell you is that they do take action, you just don't see what they do for privacy reasons. But if this was the case, you would expect the bullying to stop, which it did not, and resulted in a physical altercation. Many parents are unaware of this issue and this problem detracts from kids feeling safe, focusing on learning and enjoying school.

Canyon View Elementary School 5

Posted September 26, 2013
This school is good , our children's teachers last year were the best, so nice and responsible. This year we change to new teachers , seems more new students moved in, also new teachers, hopefully they will be as good as before.

Posted February 14, 2013
We have also experienced our child being bullied at Canyon View Elementary in Irvine, it is a problem and agree with the 10/20/12 review. The responses to the 10/20/12 review about bullying have nothing to do with Canyon View Elementary in San Diego, CA as the other reviews from 11/9/12 and 1/10/13 suggest. To be certain, we called Canyon View Elementary in San Diego to ask them if they had a teacher that had moved classrooms, the answer was yes, for personal reasons. We asked if they could say why and they told us the teacher's husband had taken a job oversees and the teacher decided to leave so she could be with her husband. It was a personal family decision that prompted her to move, that was all. The reviews following the 10/20/12 review deflect attention away from the real issue that is happening at Canyon View in Irvine, bullying. To write a review and place blame on another school with the same name is convenient, unfortunately, they are inaccurate. These are facts that could be easily checked and indicates a staff member attempting to deflect attention away from the real issue, Canyon View Elementary has a bullying issue, it is a problem at this school.

Canyon View Elementary School 3

Posted January 10, 2013
I believe that the review regarding the bullying issue belongs with Canyon View Elementary in San Diego, not this school, unless this school also had a teacher who moved from 1st to 4th grade for the 2nd half of the 2011-2012 school year.

Posted November 09, 2012
To protect other children from these type of issues, you may want to consider writing a letter to the school board, if talking to the principal didn't help your situation.

Posted October 20, 2012
- CVES has a bullying issue that even after talking with teachers and the principal, nothing is done, and it's eventually ignored and the victim is ostracized as a trouble-maker. - My son's 1st grade teacher left his class to move to the 4th grade and so both classrooms had a teacher change partway through the year. I don't think this is good for consistency for the kids. - Teachers are "too busy" to help a struggling student. - And according to the principal an IEP is for "exceptionally mentally handicapped and physically handicapped children". - Parent involvement is nowhere near as good as the schools I've had my kids in prior to this one. - The environment amongst the parents is clique-ish and unwelcoming to newcomers. - The PTA had very poor communication with parents. - I've moved my son to another school for this 2012/13 year, and we are all very happy.

Posted October 17, 2012
Repeatedly my 1st grade daughter has complained that her teacher was mean, yelled at her, let other parents(helping in the classroom) yell at her. I think Christina Monroe is completely lacking compassion towards very young children who are sensitive to military bootcamp style instruction. My first impression on testing day was horrible and she basically made zero eye contact with me and said almost nothing when she whisked my daughter away and basically said "next" when she tossed my daughter out of the classroom! Maybe it's her horrible hispanic upbringing. I am finally changing teachers as I should have done sooner. My poor kid has hated her teacher since day one and my daughter likes most everyone! CDC teachers praise her and me, stating that she is remarkable, always happy and very compassionate to other children. It makes me mad that these teachers can be this way and be a teacher! Disgusting!!! --Submitted by a parent

Canyon View Elementary School 3

Posted September 10, 2011
This school is over rated by PTA's involvement and community. My son had a nice teacher last year, but PTA and principal is emphasizing too much of school events and donation. Instead of adcademic improvement, principal and staffs are spending most of their time for jogathon or family fun night events. There are 4 times or more of school events compare to Brywood or Santiago. It seems like principal is having too much power over class arrangement as well. Canyon view is only good for formal students, not for new students.

Canyon View Elementary School 5

Posted July 08, 2010
So happy with this school. My daughter had an amazing year in 2nd grade. Mrs. Horner is truly the best. Her style, love, care, and teaching method surely makes her a gem at Canyon View. And Dr Kemp the principal knows how to motivate the teachers, parents, and the students in so many ways! I have nothing negative to say about this school. It is better than any private schools. I love this school and grateful that my daughter attends CV!!!

Canyon View Elementary School
12025 Yale Court, Irvine, CA  92620
Last modified Canyon View Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Canyon View Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 33 reviews. Top