Irvine, CA

Posted November 08, 2014
I am a parent volunteer and an educator. I have been involved in my children's education. Let me shed some light on the "Don't teach Spelling comment." True, third grade teachers do not give Friday spelling tests. Instead, and as research proves, students learn spelling by using it in their daily writing. Teachers went through extensive training using the Lucy Calkins method of writing and students write daily across the curriculum. Students use personal dictionaries where they are encouraged to sound words, they record their own misspelled words. This method individualizes spelling so that the words my child may need to study may not be the same words your students need to study. Equally important, it puts responsibility back to the students and helps them (and parents) know their strengths and weaknesses. This is not the conventional method we grew up with, but studies show this is what makes sense for students, they grow from their mistakes rather than shoving a teacher corrected test in their backpack without ever looking at it again. Mr. Jetzer knows spelling does matter. I love Culverdale and the dedicated teachers and aides that work so hard for my family.

Posted May 21, 2014
This is the first year in Culverdale Elementary School and I'm really happy, teachers are very patient, kind and friendly. Children have very good relationship between them and any other school my son has been better.

Posted May 04, 2014
The school is real good interms of education quality. The have very good methods of interactions , communication with the parents, manu extra curricular activities

Culverdale Elementary School 1

Posted December 17, 2013
teachers have great personality but the real answered can they really teach. As a parent I had to find out resources for my children for English and math because the teachers don't teach spelling in the 3rd grade and up according to the principle kids don't need it and its not important. kids who are in the spelling bee are doing well because of outside help its not the school. Sorry I will no longer sugar coat the truth. the school is to busy wanting to enforced your kids being on the internet then being concerned of their hand writing skills and eye coordination skills spelling should never stop at 3rd grade no spelling words and up grade and math is to easy. sorry I am not here to make friends my kids learning is more important then friendship even though teachers are really nice but I am looking for what is best for my children to be successful in life. How about let parents worried about the internet and its up to the parents if they want their children on the internet instead of the school over stepping their boundaries . also learn to enforce the school policy's.

Posted November 09, 2013
My perception of Culverdale is completely different than the prior parent has expressed. My child has been at Culverdale for many years. The teachers are kind, caring and have high expectations for their students. Mr. Jetzer knows every child at his school and is never too busy to hear parents concerns. The PTA seems to be trying hard and there seems to be many new volunteers this year. The school has a feeling of community and fun. Not every person is going to be happy with everything, obviously, but Culverdale is a very good school.

Culverdale Elementary School 1

Posted November 02, 2013
there is no doubt Mr.Yetzer is not a bad principal but the students and some teachers don't perform well at this school. If the principal is doing a great job he should not have that much trouble! Sorry your son is a third grader. you need to wait until he becomes a sixth grader to see what is going on

Posted October 31, 2013
My son goes to Culverdale elementary . He is in the 3rd grade. Mr. Jetzer is the most friendliest principal I have ever delt with in Irvine Unified Mr. Jetzer knows how to preform his job in every way.I have an 17 year old daughter who went to 5 different elementary schools in Irvine. The teachers are great to!! I love this school!!

Posted August 18, 2013
Culverdale has an incredibly strong principal, Mr. Jetzer. He rallies the troops and even though our son's teacher wasn't particularly strong, Mr. Jetzer held monthly awards ceremonies for the children. My child, a mediocre student, won a reading award and being recognized by Mr. Jetzer was a total gamechanger for my son's academic effort and acheivement. My son believed he was great and so then started acting as such. Jetzer held several events for parents which frankly, weren't all that well-attended. His door is always open and his enthusiasm is infectious and any school that he is associated with is destined for greatness.

Culverdale Elementary School 4

Posted August 12, 2013
My daughter came from a private school where she was given work above her grade level and, because this is a public school, she had to go through state curriculum at the same pace as other students (regardless of their skill level). This isn't necessarily the fault of the school but public education in general. However, her teacher really did a great job encouraging her and providing a very positive environment for the kids. I liked that Culverdale is so diverse with students from so many ethnicities. I think it really showed my daughter a true perspective of having friends who are all different but the same.

Posted June 24, 2013
I had a great experience with Culverdale Elementary school. My kids are in 6th grade and kindergarten. They both loved the school and teachers, the principle is working hard. We love Culverdale it is a great school with wonderful teachers. Specially Mr Forster and Mrs Tamminen.

Culverdale Elementary School
2 Paseo Westpark, Irvine, CA  92614
Last modified Culverdale Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Culverdale Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 36 reviews. Top