Irvine, CA

Posted May 20, 2015
I can`t speak for the whole school but I have a child in TK - if your child is eligible for TK RUN to the district office and beg to be allowed into Mrs. Farajian`s TK class at Deerfield! As a parent, and a former teacher, I have known many teachers and few are as born to this profession as Mrs. Farajian. Every day is a joy for those kids lucky enough to be in her class. They don`t just learn, they actually WANT to learn. They WANT to be there every day. She has taken 32 four year olds and crafted them over a year into curious, friendly, happy, confident little souls who have had the best possible start imaginable to their education. And she`s done it across multiple languages and cultures. Tonight at Open House the pride and excitement in their faces as we admired all their hard work was really moving. She is truly a gift.

Posted April 02, 2014
This school has caring teachers who actively try to cluster kids to provide appropriate and challenging materials. They work together to come up with grade level projects that all kids at the same grade are expected to do. Children with additional learning needs are assisted by teacher aides (most of who are credentialed teachers) and/or smaller cluster groups. No school is perfect, but of the 4 teachers we have had, the majority have been extremely caring and effective. The staff is friendly and helpful. The families and the kids are nice and respectful. There are a lot of parent volunteers that care deeply for the students. They promote and reward kids on the" Falcon Five" - 5 core values of the school. Our son has thrived since going to Deerfield, and will now join the APPAS program that will further challenge him academically without having to transfer to another school. We are grateful for this school.

Posted November 27, 2013
Just three days that my children would normally be in school and they are already wanting to go back. On the eve of Thanksgiving, we are so very grateful to attend Deerfield! Our three year experience, for both kids, has been filled with dedicated and knowledgeable teachers. The front office staff is always welcoming and attentive. Our principal is a one of a kind leader who goes above and beyond for us all. Under her guidance we enjoy a safe, educationally progressive and family friendly experience. The principal and staff model the school characteristics called the Falcon Five and have high expectations for all children. The students here are well behaved, respectful and hard working. PTA tries to be inclusive and does so much to make sure that we can still offer programs and school events for all to enjoy. Parents are very involved and spend much time volunteering. Unfortunately, as with all schools, there are a few sour grapes who constantly complain, but no school is perfect. So thank you everyone at Deerfield that makes this a school where my children would rather be than on vacation!

Deerfield Elementary School 3

Posted September 27, 2013
Deerfield is okay, but not great. Most of the teachers and staff are just average and there are definitely discipline problems. The same kids cause problems over and over and no one seems to care.

Deerfield Elementary School 2

Posted May 31, 2013
Deerfield I've been quite disappointed in this school. My kids have had several teachers not go over the material in the book, but the students are still tested on it. Parents grade everything. The excuse of the teachers is that they are too busy to grade their own students' work and tests. Also, you never know what work constitutes your child's grade. The district has a gradelink where it is possible for teachers to input assignments so as parent you get an idea of how your child is doing. Of course, the teachers refuse to use this system because once again they actually have to do some work by inputting the grades. With the exception of a kindergarten teacher who is exceptional, all the rest of the teachers are not involved and just want a paycheck. If you bring concerns to the principal, she just pays lip service, but none of the problems are ever solved. The only reason why this school does so well on state testing is due to the parents, not the apathetic teachers.

Deerfield Elementary School 4

Posted November 06, 2012
The only reason that I give four stars is because nothing is perfect. There is always room to improve in all areas

Deerfield Elementary School 3

Posted May 22, 2012
In a district with great schools, I have been disappointed by Deerfield. Yes, they improved the building this year, but it is still the same mediocre school inside. With a few exceptions, the teachers are clock punchers who seem to care more about their union contract than the kids. There is little discipline in the school, with bad language and rough behavior common on the playground. The principal gossips with the parents and someone should teach her how to use email properly and spell. The test scores may be high but that's because so many parents are sending their kids to Kumon and other programs, and because the APAAS program kids come from other schools. I am almost embarrassed when I talk to my friends at other Irvine schools because their schools do so much more. Wish we'd bought a house in Northwood or Woodbridge instead.

Posted April 25, 2012
Hi i go to deerfield im the school historian(photographer). Im in Mrs Schweers 5th Grade Class im pleased at the school over haul. Befor some things that they did not tell about the preveous school is that its wood roof every time it rained it leaked the fountains did not hav good pressure and lots of other things but now there all gone an is really nice . Other things like the kids are rude and mean is not true 7 kids during summer helped sevral teachers move in sharpen pencils and help out

Posted November 26, 2011
Can't really ask for more from a public school. It's hard to think of anything to complain about. The newly renovated building has been a nice improvement for already great school. Unfortunately for my kids, we'll be moving out of state soon. Hopefully we can find a school this good.

Posted September 01, 2010
A RARE GEM! I disagree with the parent that posted that the kids are rude and foul mouthed. I am pleasantly surprised at how little profanity I hear from our kids and their friends compared to my own peer group at that age. I think the Deerfield population is on the whole a very sweet group of kids. The school is currently undergoing a $12M overhaul - a project so massive it will take a full year to complete construction. Classes will be taught at a different school building a mile away during the 2010-2011 year. The teachers have been absolutely first rate - caring and patient in the primary grades, organized and academic in the upper grades.

Deerfield Elementary School
2 Deerfield Avenue, Irvine, CA  92604
Last modified Deerfield Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Deerfield Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 35 reviews. Top