Irvine, CA
Before care: Yes

Posted June 20, 2014
Woodbury is an amazing school. They teach you everything you need to. The teachers are awesome. This school is very talented they have musicals, talents shows, and many more things. No one ever gets bullied at this school. Like I said before this school is amazing.

Posted April 09, 2014
Been with Woodbury for more than 4 years.... Teachers are extreme... there are GREAT and there are teachers who just don't give their all and it results to a year of waste for our precious children. I registered with greatschools just to post this: WOODBURY needs to control the PARENTS... Too much parents in the school grounds. There needs to be a boundary for parents. Encourage drive-up, pick-up and drop-off.. DISCOURAGE walk-to-the-room drop off. It's just TOO MUCH! Our children needs to be independent. We left Woodbury. We miss our special teachers and a few true friends. That's it.

Posted March 06, 2014
THE SCHOOL NEEDS REFORM NOW! You have teachers that don't motivate kids to think. The school has mediocre teachers that the district couldn't get rid of. The academic faculty culture needs to change and the only way to break that culture is to change the staff. The previous principal couldn't manage to change the school so she left. My kid went to school there for 2 years. I've complained to the principal but she didn't do anything.

Posted December 15, 2013
We moved across town -- from a highly-ranked school with higher API scores - because we felt that Woodbury's value system, energy, adoption of Common Core standards and academic focus were the right blend for our child. My husband and I both attended IUSD. One of the main upsides of this district is that children emerge with the ability to think critically about information, exercise judgment, and collaborate with others. As senior managers in both our professions, we know that THESE are the skills that kids need -- not the ability to memorize and take standardized tests. Woodbury seems to develop the whole child, academically and socially, and the teachers that I've seen are happy to part of such an engaged community. For the parents that are unhappy with their child's experience...volunteer, speak your mind, get involved. The staff seem open to ideas and feedback -- including the new teachers that seem to be getting a lot of criticism on this board. All great teachers were at one time new...there's not a single teacher I've encountered at Woodbury that isn't doing their best to educate our kids.

Posted December 06, 2013
Teachers in this school are either close to retirement or fresh out of school. Either way, they don't seem to care much about their students. There are barely any writing homework. I wonder if the teachers even knows how to correct the grammar, because they don't catch grammar mistakes on the corrected works.. My kids are losing their writing skills after they came to Woodbury. The fact that they cannot even be recognized as CA distinguished school tells a lot. The focus is definitely not academics. I am quite disappointed with the new principal who is very showy and has no substance.
2 people found this helpful

Posted October 28, 2013
This school has wonderful facility. I am disappointed some teachers. Some are young and have 3 to 4 years teaching experience. And I do not think they are good at reading and how to teach the kids with the different phonetics. One surprise thing is that as a teacher she does not know how to respect parents. How can she let others respect her and teach kids about the Woodbury's values?

Posted September 05, 2013
Here is the issue in my mind: A school should ensure excellence in reading, writing, mathematics, and science. This is the core purpose of a school. Woodbury has many well credentialed teachers. It also has far too many students. Far too many for the school as a whole, and far too many per class. When you place upwards of 33, 34, or 35 young children in a single class - with a single teacher - you cannot realistically expect "excellence" in anything. I contrast this with my sister-in-law who teaches in Connecticut. Her first grade class has 18 students. Yes, she teaches at a public school. Woodbury (like many other schools) is bursting at the seams. Sad. Woodbury attempts to make up for these challenges by focusing on things like a school creed. I am not exactly bothered by this, but I think it is the job of a family to instill morality and values. It is the job of a Church to assist a family with these issues. Woodbury, for some reason attempts to address these issues - of instilling certain moral values - which also makes you wonder about "who" is attending the school and why the school sees a need for this - again, over reading, writing, science, and mathematics.

Woodbury Elementary School 1

Posted September 04, 2013
Interesting comment below in the recent news letter by the principal as the API has gone down in the previous academic year. Typical public school attitude - no accountability and the staff doesn't realize their responsibility - just blame it on the students who joined recently. Most probably, the students who moved here came from better schools, and are demotivated due to the standards at this school. The program is not designed to motivate and challenge growing young minds. >>>>> " In addition, students new to our school, on average, generally score lower on the California State Standards tests than their counterparts who have attended Woodbury for a minimum of 3 years." >>>>>>>>>

Posted August 05, 2013
After principal was changed, it's not a good school anymore. Now they have over 1000kids, and I dnt think he can handle all of his work. He got sub teacher from 2nd grade, she was supposed to teach 2nd grade 3times of week (that's what we hear from school first) but now she goes just 1time and room mom teach kids other days... I dnt have kids in that class, but If i have, i dnt want my kids in that kind of wired class!! This school does change class every year but they dnt think anything about kids, basically they dnt care about child who attend this school, they just care of themselves too much, try to protect them too much. That's why woodbury elementary's score is getting low and low. Most of mom I know dnt feel any happy about this school. Why we are here bcz we can't move, that's it. You should stay away this school!!!!!!!!

Posted June 20, 2013
The 5 Stars are for the the wonderful Mrs. Marchese, who made 3rd grade an incredible year of learning and maturity for our son with her firm yet always kind & fair postive reinforcement teaching. We cannot thank her enough for making our final year at Woodbury (relocating to SD) a truly cherished memory and hope the school and her future students recognizes how lucky they are to have her.

Woodbury Elementary School
125 Great Lawn, Irvine, CA  92620
Last modified Woodbury Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Woodbury Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 65 reviews. Top