Posted February 03, 2014
My 12 year old son goes to 7 th grade at Rancho Middle School. As pampered parents of one of the best elementary schools in town and until the commencement of the school this year, we were a bundle of nerves. But I must admit that the experience with this middle school has been nothing but a pleasure. The teachers, counselor and the principal have been very helpful and encouraging and very engaging. Here, I would like to mention one particular name amongst all the wonderful teachers, the Humanities teacher, Mrs. Zoe Schellenberg. She has been very hands on with the students and extremely meticulous. I was very impressed as to how she knew every child personally and took interest in their overall development. I feel really fortunate to have my son be part of this great school.
2 people found this helpful

Rancho San Joaquin Middle School 4

Posted December 04, 2013
My time at Rancho was challenging, however by the end of eighth grade I was completely prepared for UNI. Just like most schools, some teachers are disorganized and frantic, while others are calm and have a plan of what they are going to teach a month in advance. I did not participate in the GATE program in 7th grade, however I was placed into the GATE program in 8th grade and I did extremely well (I had Mrs. Mckay <3). There are few kids who get picked on, but students are encouraged to befriend others and stop bullies from hurting. I've made so many new friends at Rancho, and I absolutely loved it. (The Principle and quite a few 7th grade teachers moved to another middle school this year so the school has had many changes, but my younger brother is currently in 8th grade and he still likes the school even with all of the new changes.)

Rancho San Joaquin Middle School 1

Posted March 01, 2013
Socially I wouldn't recommend this school for black children. Racial slurs are a regular thing here. For two years my child was teased about not being black enough and called many names. Also one of teacher's here disclosed my child's grades to the entire class. Because of this teacher's action my child was teased. I'm beyond saddened by these events. All children deserve to have a safe environment to learn. Also there needs to be more supervision as the kids do fight at this school.

Posted June 24, 2012
My son loves this school. All my worries or concerns went by the waste side after the first month. The administration at this school is great. I can't say enough good things about Rancho!

Rancho San Joaquin Middle School 3

Posted April 20, 2012
Our experience has been mixed. Some great teachers and some very poor teachers. Academics would be better if some of the teachers spent more time on organization and communication. Strong P.E. and fitness program (if you care).
2 people found this helpful

Rancho San Joaquin Middle School 1

Posted February 21, 2012
We relocated to So Cal this summer. We were told wonderful things about this school. However, we are very disappointed. It is very difficult to get contact with our childs teachers. When we asked for a conference to discuss our childs progress we were told staff only has time for children with D or F's. Our child in in the Gate classes and has always been an A student. We feel that our childs academic success has been a colaboration beween the Student, Parent, & Teachers. We do not see this unity here. We hope to transfer in the fall.

Posted February 17, 2012
I haven't been to this school yet but I've heard it's a great school.I do have to say I'm scared of being bullied because,of course,it's going to be my first year of middle school.I checked out the school's website and they have a strict "dress code" for students to follow and they have a great schedule.Since I've never had periods at school before,I'm kind of scared of that too.I've been trying to find a map of the school to print out so I wouldn't get lost,but I can't find one.I totally think they should put one up.I'm looking forward to going to Rancho!Wish me luck!-Oh and I have like 2 years to go before I go into middle school because I'm in 4th grade.-

Posted January 19, 2011
This school is amazing. My daughter loves to come to school every day, she's challenged in GATE-level classes, the teachers are communicative when you require it and are welcome to parent queries when appropriate. There's lots of activities to get invoved in and the kids know about all of them. The Principal and AP are visible and and firm when necessary. I hope University High School is like this too.

Posted March 27, 2010
This is a wonderful school for my child. The academics are challenging and the principal and vice-principal are on top of things, even socially with the kids! I am glad my child loves to go to school everyday. We do not see much bullying in the school but certain children just love 'hugging' a bit too much!

Posted September 16, 2009
This is one of the greatest schools i have ever been in

Rancho San Joaquin Middle School
4861 Michelson Drive, Irvine, CA  92612
Last modified Rancho San Joaquin Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 7-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Rancho San Joaquin Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 30 reviews. Top