University High School

Public | 9-12 | 2447 students

Sweep tile

Posted July 15, 2010

Uni is amazing. I've gone to Uni for my entire high school career, and its been the best four years of my life. I mean, sure the classes are hard, and yeah I've had a couple all-nighters, but it was all worth it in the end. The teachers are really great, and all they want is to help you learn and grow.The people there are great, and the friends that I've made always had my back, whether I was stressing over finals, homecoming, or an upcoming orchestra concert. University High School is amazing, and I consider myself lucky to have been able to attend such a wonderful school.

Posted April 28, 2010

I am a current Junior and I transferred in November of my freshmen year. The friends I made, the teachers I met have just been awesome. The counselors are also the best. They have been so helpful and guided me toward going to a four year University. My football coach whom I've had since sophomore year has been great too. I have one more year to study and have fun at UNI. The memories I made here will be with me forever. Go Trojans!

Posted December 31, 2009

This is an excellent school. Currently, I am a senior, and have attended the school since my junior year. The academics are difficult, but you actually learn. I have developed good study habits because of this school. The teachers are very helpful and care about their students' progress. The students are also friendly and open. Additionally, there is plenty of advice for college applications and admissions in the school's college and career center. I strongly reccomend this school.

Posted November 19, 2009

I'm a current student at uni and I love the school! Yes, the work can be difficult and I may have to stay up all night to do my homework, but in the end I know someday I'll be out of the school. The things you learn at uni really do prepare you for college. Although there are some staff that I strongly despise, most of the teachers are amazing and the principle is very supporting. There are a number of extracurricular activities and a number of chances for students to make life long friendships. Go Trojans!!!

Posted November 19, 2009

I'm a current sophomore ant Uni. I moved here from a whole other county the second semester of freshman year. Although it is a hard school I think most students like myself use it to our advantage. Most students who aren't serious about education might whine and complain about how ignorant the teachers are but the teachers are amazing! We even have an hour every weds and thurs to go to each of our classes and seek individual help if needed. The kids are very motivated and the school spirit is high. I will never forget my days at Uni!

Posted August 26, 2009

Outstanding academics and extracurricular activities. Music and theatre programs are terrific. Highest number of National Merit Scholars (50+). So if you want your kid challenged in class, this is the school. Some sports teams that attract brainy kids (tennis, swimming, science bowl) are tops. Lots of dances and other social activities too. Football, basketball and other big time sports do just okay. Girls basketball and volleyball have won a few titles too. Many families move to this part of the District (as we did) to get their kid into Uni. Our eldest graduated with honors from UNI and is off to an elite college.

Posted May 21, 2009

Alot of work and a lack of disrespect and arrogance from your teachers is all you will get at uni. If you are a student who is new to the irvine school district like i was, do yourself a favor and don't go..You have been warned by a student who has experienced this first hand

Posted April 30, 2009

I love Uni, its a very good school. It pushes the students to strive for the best. The school really does prepare students for college, graduating with APs would totally make you Harvard material. Although the school is great, I do believe that they care more about there reputation then the students well being, for example one of my classmates got a notice stating that if she didn't raise her grades they would send her to creekside (a school considered 'ghetto' in irvine), they don't try to fix the problem they actually attempt to get rid of it. And the lack of the principles involvement sets off the awesomeness of the school as well. I'm a sophomore and all of freshman year i had no clue who the principle was, not because I'm retarded he just wasn't involved!

Posted April 10, 2009

The School gets rave reviews cause the students are so good. But the faculty and administration are so geared for success that they seldom praise the students, always demanding more and never encouraging them to just learn for the sake of learning. Instead, the focus is on achieving and getting higher and higher scores.

Posted March 29, 2009

Uni has so much to offer in a high school. Currently I'm taking many AP classes and am a part of a number of clubs and academic teams. This school has taught so many study skills and I enjoy the exposure to high level material. Sure, there are those teachers who aren't amazing, but there are also many who have had a profound impact on my education. As a junior, I am at the pinnacle of Uni's stressful academic workload. But I still love it because I know it will prepare me for my future.

Posted March 28, 2009

Even though I only attend first period at this school, I can feel the high expectations placed here. A's are something to be worked hard for and don't come even close to being as easily achieved as in any other school. It might be the strong level of teaching as the final always feels like nothing at the end of each semester.

Posted March 23, 2009

As a Uni alumna, I am grateful for all the preparation Uni has offered me. Uni's environment may be competitive, but this competition motivated me to do my best and push myself academically. I couldn't have gotten this far and done so well as an undergraduate with the help of inspiring Uni staff and students.

Posted February 3, 2009

I completely disagree with the person below me. Uni is actually known t be a very diverse school with many races, although i agree that it can be a bit difficult, its for our own good. It helps prepare us for our futures and after a while you get the hang of it. Uni also has a great after school tutoring program. I love attending uni i love the teachers that motivate us to do better and i believe its a very great privilege to be a attending such a great school.

Posted January 17, 2009

Uni is a very straight forward school. although its a high-academic school I definitely do not recommended it for anyone outside the county. I just recently moved here and I think its really difficult to keep up with any of the teachers. The rank uni has a is very big joke. The school is very undeserrving and some students and staff can be very judgmental upon race.

Posted January 15, 2009

this school thoroughly equips you for college. There are those who complain and rate this school badly for being too tough. Uni simply does not inflate its grades and gives grades students deserve. I am a freshman in college and thanks to Uni i am doing awesome and i handle the work load increasingly well. Those who venture onto the grounds of Uni, get geared for an amazing four years.

Posted November 23, 2008

This school is one of the top public schools in nation and best in the state! I am a Senior at University High School and graduating on Janurary 22nd, 2008. It has prepared me well for college and business-wold but sure am happy my time is up soon. My love is Basketball and had to quit because did not have time to play due to a rigorous academic-load. Overall study hard and best of luck to all who come through Uni's gates as students. Best of luck in your studies and future endeavors. Accomplish and live the dream

Posted September 30, 2008

they push us WAY too hard here....if you or your child attends this school and doesnt want to go to college, they're considered an outcast.....

Posted September 9, 2008

If your primary interest is to receive the best possible education and be extremely well prepared for college...this is the school for you. Athletic programs, while very good, will rarely be the very best as they believe that family comes 1st, school 2nd and athletics 3rd...the way it should be! My son currently attends, taking 4 AP classes and Spanish, while playing football and baseball. He has joined at least one on campus club and thus far is enjoying his experience. This is the perfect school for a well rounded experience with Education being the top school priority. We moved to this part of Irvine specifically for University High School.

Posted May 23, 2008

This school is only for the high achievers. My son received all A's last year at another school and this year at UHS he is struggling with all C's. They teach at college level, not HS level.

Posted April 30, 2008

This school is only good for those who have learned in the Irvine School District. If coming from another one, their is a great diffulculty in class. The teachers move at too fast a rate and students suffer studing day and night.

This school's

(2012)

10 / 10

7 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

10 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

7 / 10

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

212 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

105 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

582 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

46 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

209 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

588 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

559 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

88 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

259 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

512 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

611 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

144 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

118 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

615 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

34 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

130 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

231 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

291 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

556 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

335 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

17 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

557 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

All Students72%

Students with no reported disability87%
English learner21%
Fluent-English proficient and English only94%
Parent education - declined to state86%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students39%

English learner29%
Fluent-English proficient and English only80%
Gifted and talented96%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

624 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

621 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students95%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 12%N/A54%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

4771 Campus Drive