Posted September 13, 2014
My two sons go to Uni and the school is great. The school has very high standards and it is not as scary as most parents want to portray it. The staff and counselor are very helpful. If your son has good work ethics he/she will do well.

Posted June 27, 2014
I completely agree with both previous posts. We moved from out of state and were told that my student couldn't get into the AP classes because this school was very hard. Even though came with an A+ in Honors English was not allowed to get into AP English. Teachers were not helpful most of the time, with some exceptions of course. The environment is very far from welcoming. It is fake like everything in the area. In general the experience has been bad, I hope to get a better environment for my other child.

University High School 2

Posted February 20, 2014
I completely agree with previous parent. This has been disappointing. Staff have a saying they use over and over...Your child may be getting b's because this school is difficult. Wrong! Many students have tutoring outside of school and take courses to review the next year curriculum. The teachers donot need to teach the students but merely give assignments because a large majority of students do not participate in class because they go to private tutoring to actually learn the material. This also make for very talkative class rooms. There is a discrimination of white students. Look into any Honors or AP classes and you will find 1 or 2 white students. Which doesn't fit the fact that there are 25% white students at the school. If you are not asian, and you are in these classes there is question that you belong there.

Posted December 09, 2013
We are one of those families that moved from out of state and chose our home because it was in the UNI district. That was an enormous mistake. I had two children go through this school and can honestly say it has been a terrible experience for both. The majority of the teachers could care less about the students, some answering cell phones during class or not in their classroom during office hours. The administration is not much better always assuming the students are wrong, not the teachers. The counselors are even worse because they pretend to care but have so many students, they can't even begin to know one from the other. My first child, accepted to an elite college, tells me not one semester of college comes close to how hard UNI was. My second used to be an enthusiastic learner, a straight A student until UNI. Averaging 4 hours sleep in order to get B's in high school is just not right. The kids that get A's are, and I hate to say it, Asian. They take summer prep classes in the AP subjects so when they take the class at UNI they can get an A. This is what the teachers teach to. So unless your child takes a prep class, they can forget about doing well in the AP classes.

Posted September 26, 2013
University High School in Irvine is truly a great school, which offers high academic and sports standards to all of its students. The faculty is wonderful, and they not only teach our children. They make them think and prepare for the future.

Posted August 31, 2013
This is an awesome school and i really love it, the teachers are awesome and it is very competitive, just as i like it

Posted May 01, 2013
Honestly, I don't find UNI that terrible. I agree, this school is based on high grades and test scores and only teach toward students who are AP and intelligent students. But that doesn't mean they ignore the rest who are struggling. We have office hours where students can come in to talk to teachers. We have tutoring after school. It's up to the students and how they perform at their own level. If it's hard, then take the extra time at home to study or even talk to the teacher about the problems of trying to catch up the academically driven classes. I'm not smart and I am graduating with a 3.35 GPA and going to a state college but all of my friends and other students who are attending UCs and even IV Leagues do not look down on me nor any other person because we're all happy we're going somewhere in the end. UNI is a great place because it prepares us so well for college. I wouldn't want to change high schools. There isn't any trouble with bullying and we're accepting of other races. We get along well with anyone at high school and I like that about UNI.

Posted January 20, 2013
This school monitors this site, and does not like receiving low scores. 99% of the teachers here need to be replaced or required to attend tolerance and communication training. Mainstream teachers will do whatever they can to not deal with your child. Please don't send your child here, it will benefit them in their life. What child needs to constantly be bullied by teachers and deal with racism coming from authority figures?

Posted January 02, 2013
This is one of the best high schools in the nation at preparing young adults for competition in the real world. Sorry, once you graduate from college, no one is going to coddle you. If the competition is tough, it is because everyone here is doing their best. I'm sorry some people feel that not enough students are slacking or messing around so the grade curves go down. The negative comments on this board about this school reflect what is wrong with America. The world and the business world is competitive and you will feel pressure. There's no need to apologize for success.

University High School 4

Posted August 11, 2012
No one high school is perfect. It may be good to someone and bad to others. It is the parent job to find a high school for your children to learn. If you think this school is too tough, you can choose a mild school to give your children more time to grow and build the confident.

University High School
4771 Campus Drive, Irvine, CA  92612
Last modified University High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
University High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 89 reviews. Top