Jamul, CA

Posted February 02, 2015
We moved back to Jamul after being in Santee for over 13 years, our older children did well in the Jamul school district and our younger children were accelerating in the Santee schools (98% star, Gate, AP). After the first parent teacher conference, we realized that we just made one of the worst choices of our children's education (thus far). We are currently looking for a charter school in the area; it's sad.

Posted August 27, 2013
The teachers, staff and kids at Oak Grove are wonderful. We moved from Los Angeles, where my son's experiences were terrible. Everyone at Oak Grove worked with my son so that he would feel safe at school again. As he now feels safe in school, he is learning again and is excited to go to school. I cannot recommend this school highly enough.

Posted August 26, 2013
Wonderful school, my kids have improved so well from their previous district. They have always recieved decent grades, but once they started here they have improved greatly. My daughter achieved a 4.0. The Principal is wonderful the teachers really seem to enjoy their jobs. Most of the students appear clean and bright.

Posted June 07, 2013
Oak Grove Middle School has provided guidance and a positive environment for both of my grandchildren. Mrs. Bystedt, the principal, has been available and proactive regarding any concerns that our family has had regarding our students. This is an excellent environment for the middle school years. It is a small school with a tremendous sense of community. Having recently attended the annual Awards Ceremony it is apparent that every child is valued.

Oak Grove Middle School 4

Posted June 06, 2011
I have had 2 children attend Oak Grove in the last 4 years, both under former and current principals. As of right now, I feel that OGMS is on a major upward swing after many years of failing leadership. Mrs. Bystedt, cares about her students, enough to get to the bottom of most issues. The staff is open to more after school activities, which enhance the overall student experiences. This a superior school with all that it physically takes to succeed! I feel that too much attention is paid to Show Choir, which only appeals to a small percentage of students, and that spreading out the funding to more programs would be more beneficial to more of the general student population. Continuing on the current path of expanding after school activities, offering a homework club, and more music an art would be wonderful, and it is being promised for the 2011-12 school year! Go Oak Grove! We are a great community, and hearing about the forward progress is wonderful! keep it up - Continuing to have JAM supporting the arts, after school stick ball and Cross country, thanks to the teachers who go the extra mile!! You can once again be a distinguished school, and this is how you get there! Good Job!

Oak Grove Middle School 2

Posted October 18, 2010
I was a parent of an Oak Grove student until the middle of last year when I felt the need to find another place for education. My child was being bullied and was tense and fearful much of the time. Nothing much was being done to alleviate the situation. However, Once away from the difficult environment, grades went from C's and D's to A's and B's. This year we have found an awesome charter school and grades are now all A's. My child is happy and thriving away from Oak Grove. It's sad because I'd really like to support the local community school and it certainly would be more convenient but I just can't. I hope they can regain what they had ten or fifteen years ago when they were a distinguished school, until then my kids won't be there.

Oak Grove Middle School 4

Posted April 22, 2010
Oak Grove is great small community orientated school. It has a very warm, caring and safe environment filled with many dedicated teachers and supportive parents. It has an excellent history program which wins top awards in the county, state and nation.

Oak Grove Middle School

Posted May 21, 2009
WOW - what amazing scores - Kudos the the leadership of the school (Principal/Asst. Principal) - the positive environment that they have created has had an incredible impact on the teachers and students. This is reflected, without room for debate, in the nearly 10 point gain in test scores! Awesome Job!

Posted January 05, 2009
My son and daughter have started their first day of the 2009 school year, and already one of them has felt ashamed and talked down to by the assistant principal. I am sad that we will have to look to the charter school in the area, The Learning Choice, to support our children with both their academics and self-esteem. On the other hand, the teachers are of first rate quality, especially Mr. East.

Posted March 14, 2008
This school has been a big disappointment. Our sixth grader needs accelerated learning opportunities which have not been available. Its outstanding music program dramatically deteriorated while my child was here, so that it is at best mediocre currently. The special advanced math class for 6th grade was cancelled, and the caliber of most of his English teachers has been shockingly poor. It has therefore has presented disavantages to our family. It is a shame that so many quality staff left along with the former superintendent. We really miss the former principal, Mrs. Lopez, as well.'

Oak Grove Middle School
14344 Olive Vista Drive, Jamul, CA  91935
Last modified Oak Grove Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Oak Grove Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 27 reviews. Top