Sky Country Elementary School

Public | K-6

Posted June 16, 2014

My two oldest have gone to Sky Country Elementary and my youngest is currently still attending. I truly love this school. Not only are the children held to high standards in regards to academics and physical activity, the teachers themselves are amazing and constantly training to improve upon any niche necessary. The principal is equally fantastic and genuinely cares for the children left in her charge. Everyone is in it for the children and it is my opinion that this is the best elementary school in the district.

Posted April 20, 2014

Teachers, supervisors and support staff are wonderful. The focus on college readiness is obvious. I love the idea of No Excuses at this school.

Posted March 21, 2014

I'm a parent and also a sister of two boys who go to this school. I love this school, but only because the teachers are amazing. I couldn't be happier to have them in the classes they're in. BUT...the staff in the office are completely rude. They are the laziest women I have ever met. If it wasn't for the rest of the school being so great I would definitely transfer the boys somewhere else. Staff in the office are suppose to set an example for the school and they sure don't set a good one. So glad I don't have to deal with them very often. I would recommend this school to my mommy friends, but stay clear of the office!!!!

Posted March 2, 2012

This is a fantastic school, both of my 2 children attend this school and they are doing great. The staff is really friendly and always very helpful. My older sister, my 3 younger brothers, and myself all attended this school and we all are currently successful in our carriers and are all college grads or in the process of being college grads. The school has had its up and downs throughout the years, but ever since the 2009-2010 school year the year my son started attending I have had no complaints.

Posted February 2, 2012

I Just got a Call for My Daughters Teacher, we just started this school in October, Coming from a Private top Rated School in Indiana, This teacher had me in tears My Daughter is Happy go Loving, and tries her Best. But this teacher is ADHD and Cant Handle herself let alone the Children, She told me my daughter was so hyper Nobody can Stand to be around her,Also that she needs med's well Frankly so does this teacher..She Wants to hold her back, she proceeded to tell me my Daughter didnt know how to do anything, Well lets see she seems to complete her 21 page a Week homework with no problems and reads great at home. i believe this school gives no individual attention to kids that are struggling, She had no problems in the Private school we just came from, Not a Complaint at all, They Gave the Attention to the kids that needed it. I'm so Upset with this school and Teacher she will not come back at all next year..Horrible School..I've never received such an upsetting Call from anyone about my daughter Ever...Done with this school and this teacher needs to retire from 2nd Grade

Posted October 29, 2010

I was called today and told that my child was pulled out of class for a bloody nose and that she needed fresh ones. I immediately called my husband to do just that. But when arriving at the school, not a drop of blood on her clothes. This is not the first time she has been pulled out of class for no reason on days she doesnt want to deal with her. Happens all the time. The teacher calls me in the middle of work to tell me that if she just cant keep up with the class that she will just let my daughter fall behind and needs more cooperation at home to catch her up. I do all of my dauthers assignments. What kind of teacher would say that? Especially to such an involved parent. Meeting with the principal has gone no where. The ladies in the office are

Posted August 10, 2010

I am a new parent to this school, and since the beginning the staff in the front office have treated me like " I should know." No I should'nt especially if I am coming from out of state.NOT helpful at all, I clearly do not understand why they continue to work somewhere where obviously they do not like it! I thought maybe I did something wrong to make them act this way, but I call today and same attitude, they are not helpful, and they are very rude. I am a parent very much involved in my sons education, and these people make me want to put my son in a different school. I have been there for one year and I am NOT happy at all with Sky Country Elem.

Posted August 10, 2010

My child started kindergarden last year, needless to say I was not impressed. My child had mastered all but one subject by December yet the school refused to push him to a higher grade. I had to fight for more work, my child got extremely bored of school and now he hates school. Thanks a lot. The staff is extremly rude not helpful and has a now it all additiude. Not to mention the yard duty would never be at the playground at the same time everyday so some days the kids got to play for 10 min other days 20 some days not at all.Iif your child is even 10 seconds late its a tardy and after 3 you get a threating letter from the district and a fee. I am strongly considering home schooling or private after dealing with this school.

Posted March 25, 2010

2 stars. They are very rude, and academically behind compared to alot of other schools.

Posted July 11, 2008

Both of my children are Sky Country Elementary school graduates. They both excelled in all subjects at each grade level. They also experienced individual achievements, awards and honors. This is all due to many factors: first and foremost; their parents. As their parents, we encourage our children with love, support and opportunity. Second; public education offers a diversity of cultures, ethnicities and personalities that better prepares them for a succsessful future. Tolerance, compassion and understanding are important lessons for all parents to learn and teach their children. Third; while my children attended Sky Country Elementary, they were given the tools to explore their talents and enrich their education by very caring, knowledgeable and dedicated teachers, aids, cafeteria staff, principals and volunteers. I am proud of this school, the staff, the experiences gained, and frienships made. Go Sky Hawks!

Posted January 17, 2007

Where do I start, The staff are very rude, they don't seem to like the kids there working for nor the parents. The school has alot to improve on in my eyes. They need to make a separte class for non english speakers and another class for english speaking kids. So it is fair to all.

Posted March 15, 2004

My children all have gone to Sky Country from k-6 and I believe the best teachers and support staff that could be available in a public school. If we had not moved to Maine I would have my girls back in the district, but my children loved the learning, my children were always encouraged to think outside the box and were not ever 'dummied down' to the lowest in the class. The teachers are great, the principal, a magnificent leader of the school with the much needed 'gift' that children genuinely like him. And the ladies in the office, great. I miss everyone there, and if your child attends Sky Country, you attend also. It is(my opinion) an extended family. Terri Sutherland

Posted January 24, 2004

I get a great feeling with some of the teachers at Sky Country,they really do care about wanting to teach the students and have them reach their potential.

This school's

(2012)

5 / 10

4 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

5 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

4 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

76 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

76 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

67 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

60 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

59 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

74 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

91 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students63%

• Joan Lauritzen
Fax number
  • (951) 681-5197

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

5520 Lucretia Avenue