Anthony G. Bacich Elementary School

Public | K-4 | 602 students

Living in Kentfield

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $880,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,760.

Posted May 13, 2014

My child attended this school and I am happy to say that we moved out of this district. I was not impressed with the attitude of some of the teachers and the principal is not hands-on at all. This is a school with a very bad vibe and my child was never made to feel welcome. We are much happier now. There are good schools out there, this is not one of them.

Posted April 29, 2014

Bacich elementary is a great school! ! Teachers are great, working close with patients. Teacher will let you know how your kid is progressing and what needs to be done if your child is behind. Parents contributions to kick program helps our kids continue with their art and music classes. Those classes are very important in our kids overall development. Overall great school! Great community! Happy to be part of it.

Posted April 23, 2014

This school has gotten far too big for an elementary school. While many teachers are wonderful and strive to do there best this school just does not cultivate the community feel that I hear about at other schools in Marin. We are looking to move or enroll in a private school to move our kindergartener out of this large environment. The school also seems behind in some curriculum areas such as technologies compared to Mill Valley and Ross Valley.

Posted April 22, 2014

I have loved Bacich School for my three children! It saddens me to read so many negative reviews. In my experience as a former teacher, I often found that the unhappy parents were the "squeaky wheels." Parents who are happy and satisfied don't always speak up because they are content with how things are going. If every parent were required to write a review on this site, I know there would be many more positive reviews. Regarding comments about feeling that the students get an elitist feel attending Bacich, I can say that does NOT come from the teachers or school. That is something that comes from personal home life. Teachers are very humble, caring, and attending to every child. The office staff is warm and welcoming as is the principal. I have been extremely happy with every teacher my children have had! The staff at Bacich work hard to not only teach academics, but to also bring in character education, communication skills, social and emotional education, while creating an engaging environment in which the students feel challenged, cared for, and safe. I cannot say enough positive things about this school!

Posted March 4, 2014

Horrible school! Bad administration! Terrible environment! This school does not embrace children who have learning challenges, it ostracizes them. Steer clear!

Posted December 30, 2013

I've had a son go through grades 2-4 and a daughter in Kindergarten. Overall, we've been very satisfied with teachers ranging from "very good" to one of the best ever. As other's note here, there have been some issues in math. Our son's experience in 4th grade math was very light and basic but I don't blame the school. Bacich aligned with Common Core early and the new math standards are nowhere near what they were before. The same teachers that taught kids scoring well into the advanced terrain were getting probably 30+ points lower teaching CCSS. We did practice tests before the 4th grade STAR test and it was clear that almost all the math our son knew was introduced in third grade while the 4th grade topics were largely untaught because CCSS doesn't expect them of 4th graders. Our daughter had a very nice experience in K taught by a caring teacher in a class of really nice kids,

Posted December 14, 2013

Thought it was just me who saw a concern regarding the level our children are being challenged in math. I can assure you, similar age children in Asia are not facing the same concern. We have two math books at home - the one the school issues, and the one I give my child to ensure she stays advanced. There is a similar concern with reading. The Principal is very engaging and understanding, however believe she is more interested with satisfying the political status quo to ensure job stability, than addressing these concerns with intellectual honesty (The Emperor has no clothes).

Posted December 3, 2013

Outstanding parent community that is welcoming, inclusive, and constantly seeking to involve all parents in their childrens' education. Incredible PTA and Foundation create a "private school" enrichment experience at a public school. Everything we ever wanted in a suburban K-8 experience after living in NYC and SF. Teachers who live to teach and do so because they want to, not because they have to. SMART teachers - valedictorians, published authors, etc. Amazing specialists. MANY second generation students whose parents wanted their kids to experience what they did. Simply the best educational experience we could ask for our children in Marin, public or private, hands down.

Posted December 1, 2013

Great families/kids/teachers. Not wowed though hard to believe same school w the stellar reputation. Seems average (test scores slipped; remains to be seen if "core transition" to blame). Worry children aren t receiving necessary foundation to succeed academically beyond the easy early years. Seems like no one will push them to achieve, for fear they will break. Math instruction is light; many kids have their eyes opened in middle school. Do additional math work at home/with private tutors/classes (whatever works for you, as there is very little math-facts homework). Little HW overall, compared to what's expected as they move up through school. Elem & middle school do not seem aligned on the HW issue, despite Principal s insistence they are; she doesn't truly address parent concerns (smiles & cheerleads). Shame. Parent community is amazing involved on campus & very generous, giving tens of thousands in volunteer hours & in dollars to PTA & foundation. Teachers seem caring/prepared/well-meaning; spend many hours in teacher development during school year (each Wed is 1/2 day while teachers in training). Personally, wish kids were the ones in class those hours instead of teachers.

Posted October 30, 2013

It looks like the word is out about Bacich. It is so sad to see a school go from an excellent school to a poor school. We have just moved out of state and one of my children was average at Bacich in reading. At this new public school, she is at the absolute bottom of her class. She goes to the schools tutor every day because they want to bring her to "their" grade level. When I see what the kindergarteners are expected to learn at this new school I know why!!! Bacich no longer teaches the kids math and reading and it does not believe in homework. Also the teacher are too business getting "additional training" that they miss up to 30 days a year in the classroom. It is such a shame for the children. They deserve better!!! See Bacich's drop in Star testing results from 2012 to 2013 2013 Results: http://star.cde.ca.gov/star2013/ViewReport.aspx?ps=true&lstTestYear=2013&lstTestType=C&lstCounty=21&lstDistrict=65334-000&lstSchool=6024319&lstGroup=1&lstSubGroup=1 2012 Results: http://star.cde.ca.gov/star2012/ViewReport.aspx?ps=true&lstTestYear=2012&lstTestType=C&lstCounty=21&lstDistrict=65334-000&lstSchool=6024319&lstGroup=1&lstSubGroup=1

Posted September 17, 2013

We specifically moved to this community to attend Bacich and Kent. After several years in the district, we left and have gone private. The administration is not focused on the children or improving or being innovative in their approach to teaching, instead using their energy to pat themselves on the back for what a great job they are doing. This is a not a school that does anything beyond what is absolutely required to address any special needs of the children who attend and if your child is advanced, he/she will be bored out of their minds. They talk about differentiation but I've never seen it done in any effective way. The community is cold and unwelcoming and the school is too big. Lastly, the office staff is rude.

Posted February 23, 2013

Amazing how the expectations have changed since I was in grammar school. What my kid is NOT learning at Bacich is downright daunting. But, what can you do, the state dictates curriculum to public schools. That aside the school is well kept up, safe and clean. A bit impersonal though, but that is a reflection of the community in general. Just too much time being spent in the classrooms and out, on nonsense that will mean nothing later in life. I would prefer the time my kid is at school, be concentrated on subjects that he will need to enter a venerated university one day. The last time I checked, having full knowledge of the endangered Mission Blue Butterfly was a little less important, than understanding how to apply and problem solve long division and fractions. There are worse schools by far, but what I cough up on the non-stop fund raisers, I could send my kid to a private school. For that amount of scratch, I expect a quasi-private school education.

Posted February 11, 2013

My child is in her third year and understand that special attention cannot be applied to each child, but get a flock mentality here. What I do not understand, is that the class sizes are small. Bacich is well known for protecting the Kentfield border and not allowing those in who do not belong if you know what I mean. No complaints there. It is a safe environment, but not sure it is doing any better of a job than the surrounding grammer schools.

Posted October 7, 2012

I understand the parents frustration below. I believe the faculty at Bacich okay, not good, not great. I believe the largest problem is that the Teachers have become "pleasers" first and Teachers second. At parent teacher conferences, the teachers seem very nervous, telling the parent what they want to hear and not the true peformance of the student. Teachers take the same approach when grading, fearful of upsetting an influencial parent base and passing out many unmerited high marks. I am unsure if this is pressure from above being pushed down. Because of this, I am nervourous that my child will have a skewed idea of how life works, and the competition that lies ahead; and like the parent below, study excellerated subjects with my child every night. I believe the parents and Teachers must come together, put political correctness aside, and begin the process of responsibly educating these kids. Like is hard. It is possible to allow a child to enjoy their innocant years, however simotaneously expose them to challenging class work, that one day they will be at the top of the list when being considered for Stanford Pre-Med.

Posted October 5, 2012

We relocated just a few miles to Kentfield from San Anselmo (SA). Our son was attending Brookside Lower in SA, which was off-the-chart wonderful! We could not pass on a beautiful Victorian in Kentfield, selling far below market value. Having read up on A.G. Bacich, believed we were making a good choice. Boy, were we wrong. What we found, was a self-absorbed faculty who show little interest in teaching a strong core curriculum to children, opting instead for the distractions of social/environmental enhancement. This may make for a fun day , however not preparing our son for the challenges ahead. This goes unchallenged by plastic parents who seem satisfied that their child be simply advanced from grade-to-grade, rather than challenged and made to think outside-the-box for solutions to complex equations. To ensure our child is challenged, my husband and I spend an extra two hours above the derisory example of homework he brings home from Bacich, to ensure he is learning at an acceptable level. How quickly we would run back to Brookside Lower in SA, given the opportunity. I cannot and WILL NOT recommend this school.

Posted September 22, 2012

Both of our children spent their entire K-4 in Bacich and we couldn't have been happier with the education they received there.

Posted August 18, 2012

Our daughter went to Bacich. We put her in at 4 1/2. It was excellent. She went on to Kent, which was also a 5 star school. It was very together, teachers involved. It is a difficult school, but whe was ready for anything after this experience. I would tell any parent to move to this district. We did when she was 3, and we loved it.

Posted August 12, 2012

Looks like the truth about Bacich is coming out. My daughter attended here and was not impressed. There was a huge disconnect from the principle, teachers, parents, no community feeling. I went to school in the Midwest, Iowa schools and there was a feeling of family and community. Bacich was a bunch of different people going their own thing, going different directions. I can best describe it as the Stepford Community . The school was far overrated and did not prepare the children for what lay in store for them later in life. Being surrounded by a bunch of expensive homes does not a great school make. I noticed that the curriculum/material being covered was insufficient in quantity and quality. If you have a choice, look toward Ross or Tiburon. I was very disappointed in Bacich, which did my daughter a disservice in her pursuit of learning.

Posted August 4, 2012

This is a school that puts a child's extracirricular activities over school work and education. The teachers and district do not educate but allow the parents to dictate because of their deep pockets. The children who struggle are passed off to the next teacher. Rude staff and parents.

Posted January 29, 2012

In reviewing the lower parent post, could have easily been mine. I have wanted to post for some time, and wish I had. After selling our dream home in Bret Harte Heights of San Rafael with the best views in Marin - moving our child out of Coleman which was API challenged but still a far cry better than the Canal schools; so he did not have to attend the ESL experience of Davidson, we too sold and bought in the Kentfield School District. Regret, regret, regret. Our child stopped learning once he attended A. G. Bacich. This school is more interested in telling the children what a privilege it is to attend A. G. Bacich instead of educating them. Elitism at its best. I enjoy the effort A. G. Bacich exerts in enriching our children, I am an advocate of enrichment. But come on folks!! . a little teaching to??!! How about math, science, geography, English, or here s a stretch Spelling? After our monumental move, our child now attends St. Pat s where he is again thriving, for a cost that makes me swallow every time I write that check. Like the poster below, could have kept the dream home and sent him to St. Pat s.

This school's

(2012)

10 / 10

8 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

10 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

8 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

140 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

140 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

137 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

136 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

137 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

136 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students77%

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
PE instructor(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

• Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

School start time
  • 8:15 am
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • Sally Peck
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
Transportation options
  • Access to sports fields
  • Art room
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

Performing arts
Media arts

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom