K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (6 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (2 responses)

Posted February 16, 2016
We feel so blessed to have found the St. Bede Community. We were initially referred to the school by a coworker of my husband's who is an alumni of St. Bede. We do not live in the La Canada area so we were not previously aware of Saint Bede the Venerable Parish and school. My husband's coworker said that St. Bede the Venerable School is “a quantum leap” above the schools we were initially touring. Knowing the source, a man who is a wonderful person and also a successful graduate of Loyola High School and Yale University, we felt compelled to further research his referral. It was one of the best things that we have done for our family. I am eternally grateful to be a part of this wonderful and welcoming community. We have found our home in this vibrant parish. The school is nothing short of exemplary. The faculty and the academics are top notch. The facilities are impeccable. Beyond all of that, my son is receiving what I believe to be one of the most important gifts that we can give him which is a religious education and a solid faith foundation so that he can grow to "act justly, love tenderly and walk humbly with our God.” With this gift I hope that he will live a truly fulfilled life and be strong enough to endure what life brings him.

Posted February 08, 2016
Our children attend St. Bede School and we are very happy with the education they are getting. We initially had our children in the Pasadena Unified School District but moved them to St. Bede last year. Considering we are new to the school, we do not feel it. We feel very welcomed and more importantly our children are very happy at St. Bede. PUSD has great schools but didn't offer what we were looking for. Our children are not only being challenged academically, they are learning the catholic faith. They are being taught values and character. With so many choices of schools, we feel blessed to be part of the St. Bede School community.

Posted February 08, 2016
I am not from SoCal, but my husband grew up here attending another local catholic school and top tier high school. When it came time to enroll our eldest child, we toured many private and catholic schools in the area. We could not be more happy with our choice to have joined the parish and enroll our children in St. Bede School. There is a strong focus on reading and writing. Kindergarten is full day. The technology is current and each student has access to iPads and computers in the classroom. The library is extensive with the accelerated reader program. Most of all, both of our kids are there now and are very happy. We have been impressed with the faculty and staff. They show caring and accessibility to the kids and parents. The school has a small community feel where most of the kids from K-8 know each other. We feel very lucky to have our children at St. Bede School with so many wonderful families.

Posted February 04, 2016
This school is wonderful and we absolutely love it. My kids are in the 6th and 3rd grade and St. Bede has exceeded every expectation my husband and I had. The faculty and staff are so knowledgeable, so accessible and so caring. The technology is amazing - every student has access to ipads and computers in the classroom. The science lab is pristine and state-of-art. More than anything else though, we have been impressed with the "character counts" program and the faith formation of the entire student body. The 8th grade graduates are completely prepared for high school, but even better is the fact that they are good people who make good decisions. We feel very lucky to have our children at St. Bede with so many other wonderful families.

Posted February 03, 2016
As a student at St. Bede in the 1980's I was very happy with my experience. I had a large Catholic Family and we all went on to our first choice High Schools. My husband (who is not from CA) and I had no hesitation to start our child in kinder at St. Bede. I lived out of the area for many years, but felt at home coming back. I love that Kindergarten is a full day and my son is doing great academically. He was a little wild when school started but the great staff has been able to get through and have gotten him on the right track. The after school programs offered are also great! The only downside is that the school does not offer a regular Spanish class, just an after school class. Is this school for everyone? No. Are there things I would change? Of course. But there is no perfect school out there, and for our family this is the best choice. As a Catholic I really appreciate that part of the curriculum and the faith that is brought into the lives of the students.

Posted February 02, 2016
I would give St. Bede 10 stars if I could as this is a fantastic school and parish. As the parent of a first grader, our experience has been special beyond words. The K and 1st grade teachers are exemplary and our child is growing academically and spiritually each and every day. I'm surprised by some of the comments in this thread and seriously questioning if they are referring to the same school. The teachers, administrators and families of St. Bede are amazing!

St. Bede The Venerable Elementary School
Grateful to: Teacher

Posted February 02, 2016
Mrs. Fontes, Miss Arlanda, Miss Zube, Mr. Valente....it does not get any better than these loving, caring educators!

Posted February 27, 2015
Overall, we have had a very positive experience, and love the environment and spirit of the school. The first thing you notice about St. Bede s is the atmosphere. The motto is act justly, love tenderly, and walk humbly with our God, and the students seem to really take it to heart. There are a lot of great kids and families, and strong parent volunteerism. We have three kids in the school and have been very happy. Homework loads can be heavy. Virtually 100% of students go on to a private high school in the area. Those schools are selective, and students need to be properly prepared to compete. Teachers are truly dedicated. That isn't to say that all teachers are perfect, some grades are better than others. St. Bede s is small with one class per grade (no choice of teacher). Children who leave the school usually do so due to parents' expectations that the school should accommodate every request they make. There is a sense of entitlement in some of the parents here not really the kids! Sometimes there just isn't a fit that just is what it is given that students will be in the same class with the same kids from K-8.

St. Bede The Venerable Elementary School 1

Posted April 17, 2014
Teachers not only cannot teach but worst, they take pride in punishing children in such a way that will even promote humiliation. These teachers need some child development education! Their policy is "My rules are the only rule and as long as you are in my classroom, you have to follow. I don't care what your parent(s) say!" Adhering to the teacher's classroom rules is not the issue, however, when it comes to humiliating a child thru these rules, that is a problem. Principals and Archdiocese needs to interview!

St. Bede The Venerable Elementary School 1

Posted February 02, 2014
Suggestions are rebuffed with "maybe this school is not for your child." Horrible, unforgivable behavior by some teachers is unpunished. The lack of competitive technology is excused by the view that tech does not teach discipline or self-reliance. Students are left to learn how to live/behave with tech later than peers. iPads are not enough. The school needs online posting of assignments and grades, communication via email, electronic submission of homework, e-books, learning to communicate with video/online, etc. In-class instruction can be spent grading self-directed learning from homework. Many students do well when parents organize work for them. High school faculty report St Bede students have a poor reputation in science, writing, foreign language and arts/music. They do well with math, english and history. Some students were described as "beaten down." The lack of "fairness" or appeal for inappropriate teacher behavior instills a view that authority is illegitimate. The school rejects kids with physical or mental challenges from attending unless the diocese intervenes. Thank God for Bede's active parents and some awesome teachers. The Pasdena privates are much better.

St. Bede The Venerable Elementary School
4524 Crown Avenue, La Cañada Flintridge, CA  91011
Last modified St. Bede The Venerable Elementary School is a Private school that serves grades K-8