Posted May 28, 2014
You expect there to be cliques and bullies at any school. What you don't expect is for the teachers to promote the cliques as well as let the bullies do as they wish without consequence. As past reviews have noted, the teachers don't promote a positive, encouraging learning environment. Instead, they punish and publicly ridicule students. The test scores are high, but the environment and quality of teaching is low. If it weren't for the children that go to daily tutoring 5+ days a week, the scores would be far lower.

Posted May 07, 2014
I regret ever sending my children to Monte Vista. Although we had a couple of outstanding teachers, there are many that were cruel and verbally abusive. Adding to this problem was the intense bullying that seemed to go unattended to by the staff. Overall, this school does not promote a positive, emotionally safe learning environment for children.

Monte Vista Elementary School 3

Posted June 18, 2013
There are some wonderful teachers at Monte Vista, but there are also some who have lost sight of why they are there: to teach and encourage children to become lifelong learners. Not to punish, demean, or ridicule. I have heard that there is a new principal coming this fall. Maybe there will be positive change to bring Monte Vista back to the amazing school is once was.

Posted March 30, 2013
Hmm...in response to the last comment, my kids have excelled at Monte Vista, Rosemont and CV High School, without the help of any tutors. They really owe their success to the stellar teachers! Their learning experience at Monte Vista has been enriched by the Meet the Masters art program, Robotics and Orchestra. There are tons of opportunities for parents to get involved if they want to help.

Posted February 11, 2013
The test scores are high here because of the highly tutored Korean children. They do not motivate just punish.

Posted February 08, 2013
I believe you cannot find better, more caring teachers than the ones my children have had at Monte Vista. I have seen these teachers go above and beyond to meet the personal needs of my children. We have been to several schools and feel very supported here. I received a personal telephone call recently to discuss a matter about which my child's teacher was concerned. I was so grateful for this proactive attention. I am thrilled to have students in their daily care. Also, the parents seem very supportive and fund extra music and theater programs which other schools do not offer. Our family very carefully selected this particular school for the strength of the teaching staff. My children are receiving very nurturing care from greatly qualified teachers.

Monte Vista Elementary School 2

Posted February 08, 2013
Principal, Susie Hoge is horrible!!!!! She should retire! not too sure why district continues to keep her, she is there to collect pays tub. She doesn't care for the kids. And school is constantly asking for donation one after another. Without the parents supports the school will not receive such a high scores on the test. Majority students gets private touring to receive such high stand scores. Additionally, there some good teachers, but most of them are spoil with gifts and they Riley on parents support when child is hurt during school hours, they have no explanations of why they were hurt. All could say is they were injured at recess. Bottom line principal doesn't care much and staffs adopts same behavior from her. .

Posted August 23, 2012
Horrible! The principal is completely robotic and uninvolved, the staff is cold, and the lunch program is the worst I have ever seen, extremely gross and disguting food, and with it the kids get the lunch monitors screaming at them to eat, very appetizing!They do not care about the kids they care about the test scores. You get what you pay for in this area, cold hearts, closed minds and lots of judgement and " cliqueness".

Posted June 09, 2012
We have been thrilled with the education offered to our children at Monte Vista. The teachers are truly dedicated to the art teaching children. My kids have loved the orchestra and band programs as well as the recorder class and choir programs. Gate has been excellent and the math club is a real treasure. The most amazing thing is the parental support from the community. We consider this school to be a blessing.

Monte Vista Elementary School 2

Posted February 06, 2011
Monte Vista is just barely acceptable. I suppose it gets hits high scores from the test scores from the large percentage of highly motivated and privately tutored Korean students who attend here, but the school itself has not motivated our children. If your child is average the teachers check out. One of the third grade teachers told our daughter every week she was destined for failure. There is no arts and no music program.

Monte Vista Elementary School
2620 Orange Avenue, La Crescenta, CA  91214
Last modified Monte Vista Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Monte Vista Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 74 reviews. Top