La Crescenta, CA

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted May 20, 2015
The upper-grade teachers all have significant number of years experience. The lower-grade teachers, quite a few of them, have students enrolled in this school and seem to be dedicated to a great deal of academic achievement. It shows in my child.

Amount of homework: Don't know

Posted May 20, 2015
I have a First Grader, it's too early to tell. I do know that many teachers require extra work done throughout the week at the students discrection.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted May 20, 2015
Nearly half the staff have children enrolled in this school, which creates a family atmosphere that the teachers embrace and are happy about. Happy teachers, like a happy family, encourage respect and empathy for all.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted May 20, 2015
There is a school-wide Eagle Eye program that rewards students for their fairness and integrity.

Posted May 20, 2015
My child attends Valley View, and my family and I could not be happier with our experience. It is a small school (half the size of the others around it) and the difference shows. The teachers, staff, and parents are all engaged and determined to give the kids a warm, yet academically challenging environment. A large number of Valley View's teachers live nearby and send their kids to school here. This has created a true community feel to the school. The PTA is one of the most prolific in Glendale Unified, where they lead the way with significant volunteer hours and events. Some of the teachers that have been teaching at the school for years, speak of a cultural shift in the student population - more engaged families and great academic achievement. Valley View is truly a gem in the hills.

Posted September 23, 2014
My two children attend Valley View Elementary. One child is in 6th grade, about to move on to middle school, and the other is in 3rd grade. I couldn't be more satisfied with their education. There is a great community of students, parents, teachers and administrative staff that are very supportive and involved. If you are an involved parent, nothing is unknown. After 9 years or so, the principle was moved by the district to a school they felt she was greatly needed. This was decided during Summer break. The principle that replaced her is a very experienced and qualified administrator. The school district knows the community and was very careful in finding a good successor. Due to low enrollment, a couple of teachers had to move schools. After a year, a teacher retired and enrollment went up and those great teachers were back! The office assistant and new grandmother retired after many years of being at Valley View. There are great families that take a leadership roll in their children's education and are greatly involved in PTA and Foundation. The least involved parents are often surprised at any change and the most negative and/or critical. We feel lucky to be a part of VVE.
2 people found this helpful

Posted April 04, 2014
My two kids attend Valley View and love going to school every day. It's a small school with a real community feel to it. The teachers and staff are dedicated to the school. So a couple staff members retired, or moved to different positions in the district, big deal. We also had two of our best teachers return. Not sure about the no librarian comment, there is one there every day. All in all, a great school with lots of parent involvement and a great education for my kids.

Posted March 11, 2014
There is so much to love about this school. It has a strong parent involvement, and although there are some negative reviews here about the new principal, she is fantastic and really cares about the school and the children. My son comes home and tells me that he sees her often and she knows most of the students by name. The community of parents are great. The PTA is very involved and does some exceptional work for the school. The teachers are kind caring and very supportive of the students (at least that has been my experience with my sons teachers). We love the school and I look forward to my younger children attending

Valley View Elementary School 1

Posted October 01, 2013
I have been a parent for 6 years and can't wait until my children move on. Seriously thinking about pulling them out. Our principal left no notice given to the students or parents. One day we went for a family walk and there was a banner hanging on the fence. New principal I agree with the last comment she needs to lighten up. Gee.....unapproachable and defensive. Teachers, Parents and Students are the heart of this school. The teacher that left as stated in the other comment happened to be my child's teacher. No notice just the change. Lots of teacher turnover and all of a sudden lots of teachers are retiring even the office help. Our health clerk left no communication. New hires no communication....New faces feels like a strange place to be. Got rid of the librarian so that's a bummer. There are lots of unhappy parents at this school. It's sad because this was a GREAT school.

Valley View Elementary School 1

Posted October 24, 2012
I have to agree with the 2 previous comments. Curriculum is minimal and not that great. I know public schools teach for the State-mandated exams, not really for the students. I wrote the previous comment about the Admin Assistant. It's actually the office clerks, not teachers, giving worse image to the school. I guess public employees forget that their paycheck comes from taxpayers like us; they totally forget that a little bit, even just a tiny bit of customer service, will help. No, not even customer service but at least a tiny bit of professionalism and politeness would do. I'm glad my daughter is out of the school. New principal has to really look at all these areas to succeed.

4900 Maryland Avenue, La Crescenta, CA  91214
Last modified Valley View Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Valley View Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top