Posted September 23, 2014
My two children attend Valley View Elementary. One child is in 6th grade, about to move on to middle school, and the other is in 3rd grade. I couldn't be more satisfied with their education. There is a great community of students, parents, teachers and administrative staff that are very supportive and involved. If you are an involved parent, nothing is unknown. After 9 years or so, the principle was moved by the district to a school they felt she was greatly needed. This was decided during Summer break. The principle that replaced her is a very experienced and qualified administrator. The school district knows the community and was very careful in finding a good successor. Due to low enrollment, a couple of teachers had to move schools. After a year, a teacher retired and enrollment went up and those great teachers were back! The office assistant and new grandmother retired after many years of being at Valley View. There are great families that take a leadership roll in their children's education and are greatly involved in PTA and Foundation. The least involved parents are often surprised at any change and the most negative and/or critical. We feel lucky to be a part of VVE.

Posted April 04, 2014
My two kids attend Valley View and love going to school every day. It's a small school with a real community feel to it. The teachers and staff are dedicated to the school. So a couple staff members retired, or moved to different positions in the district, big deal. We also had two of our best teachers return. Not sure about the no librarian comment, there is one there every day. All in all, a great school with lots of parent involvement and a great education for my kids.

Posted March 11, 2014
There is so much to love about this school. It has a strong parent involvement, and although there are some negative reviews here about the new principal, she is fantastic and really cares about the school and the children. My son comes home and tells me that he sees her often and she knows most of the students by name. The community of parents are great. The PTA is very involved and does some exceptional work for the school. The teachers are kind caring and very supportive of the students (at least that has been my experience with my sons teachers). We love the school and I look forward to my younger children attending

Posted October 01, 2013
I have been a parent for 6 years and can't wait until my children move on. Seriously thinking about pulling them out. Our principal left no notice given to the students or parents. One day we went for a family walk and there was a banner hanging on the fence. New principal I agree with the last comment she needs to lighten up. Gee.....unapproachable and defensive. Teachers, Parents and Students are the heart of this school. The teacher that left as stated in the other comment happened to be my child's teacher. No notice just the change. Lots of teacher turnover and all of a sudden lots of teachers are retiring even the office help. Our health clerk left no communication. New hires no communication....New faces feels like a strange place to be. Got rid of the librarian so that's a bummer. There are lots of unhappy parents at this school. It's sad because this was a GREAT school.

Posted October 24, 2012
I have to agree with the 2 previous comments. Curriculum is minimal and not that great. I know public schools teach for the State-mandated exams, not really for the students. I wrote the previous comment about the Admin Assistant. It's actually the office clerks, not teachers, giving worse image to the school. I guess public employees forget that their paycheck comes from taxpayers like us; they totally forget that a little bit, even just a tiny bit of customer service, will help. No, not even customer service but at least a tiny bit of professionalism and politeness would do. I'm glad my daughter is out of the school. New principal has to really look at all these areas to succeed.

Posted October 08, 2012
Outstanding school w/some potential issues. We've had kids in VV for years. School enrollment is smaller than other schools, which we like. Teachers are dedicated w/heavy parent involvement. Family like environment. Past principal whom most loved was suddenly transferred to another school; probably to turn that one around. New principal is more of an academic type (PHD); very nice but needs to loosen up and improve communication skills. Time will tell. Within first weeks of the school year, one of the best teachers retired suddenly. Not sure if it was for personal or professional reasons. Curriculum is test based and minimum skill competency versus individual student development but that's par for the course for public schools. Creative, gifted, scientific, or artistic kids that tend to have focus issues may struggle since the school has minimum curriculum to work with kids that don't fit standard molds. Extra curriculum programs are fee based; typical for public schools. Glendale school district is great but needs reorganization to reduce top heavy overhead costs so money can be plowed back into programs to help kids deal with emerging technologies. Overall A School.

Posted August 17, 2012
We had a HORRIFIC experience at this school. My kids went from doing extra work for the love of it at their old school, to doing the absolute minimum so they wouldn't get in trouble for putting too much information on the paper or offering ideas that they weren't sure the teachers would want to hear. Communication was the pits and they were freaked out because they kept seeing kids getting benched for things like talking to eachother during lunch. They loved school before they came here and now they cry in the morninig. We moved them to another school but they are both terrified to start because they feel like failures and the environment at Valley View was so unfriendly and nasty. I really wish I had never exposed them to that school

Valley View Elementary School 0

Posted October 13, 2010
Valley View is a great school not only because of the great teachers, but a great community of parents supporting the classroom through volunteer programs and after school activities.

Valley View Elementary School 0

Posted May 26, 2009
Valley View is an excellent school that has high academic expectations and results. It has an involved parent community that supports the learning and social environment. The administration and teachers really know what they are doing. I am so pleased both my children received there education here.

Posted May 19, 2009
We had a horrible time with this school and the principal in particular. This school probably does fine for most kids, but it is a toxic environment for gifted kids. The principal has a very negative attitude towards the gifted and seems more concerned with how they help her test scores than what is best for the kid. After a year and a half of trying to get some sort of positive environment for our kid, we had to pull out and do homeschool. Since then we have met with other parents who have had a similar experience with other Glendale schools. If your kindergardener can read and loves to learn... be wary of this place, they will turn that around.

Valley View Elementary School
4900 Maryland Avenue, La Crescenta, CA  91214
Last modified Valley View Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Valley View Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top