No rating

Crescenta Valley Adventist School

Private | K-8 | 130 students

Building character through academic excellence in a caring, Christian environmen

Living in La Crescenta

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $503,900. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,800.

Posted June 9, 2014

I love this school. I was once a student here. I Remember that the teachers were always if great help. The school has a great christian environment. The best thing about this school is how close the students, parents, and teachers are. I would recommend this school to everyone I know.

Posted June 8, 2014

This is a great school with a great christian environment. All the teachers are great. All the families and students are close too.

Posted April 12, 2014

My kids love CVAS. My daughter started K in 2007, now she is in 6th. My son is in 4th.

Posted February 10, 2014

My daughter started at CVAS in 4th grade and graduated in 2010, My son started in pre School and is currently attending and will be graduating this year 2014. My wife and I as well as our kids are so greatfull to this school for helping us sculpt our kids future spiritually and academically , we are blessed to be part of the CVAS family

Posted February 7, 2014

Fantastic school! Both our children started in this school since kindergarten, with one graduating this year from 8th grade. Not only do they receive excellent academic learning but they also receive the spiritual nurturing you would hope for them to receive outside of your home, to prepare them not just for higher learning but for life. Our children have been blessed through the years with dedicated administrators, staff and teachers who love The Lord and are passionate about giving of their best to each student and their families, as well. Academic excellence, leadership mentoring, sports and physical development, creative arts and music, and a wide range of extracurricular options, have given our children a well rounded foundation in their growth and development in becoming upstanding and outstanding. In addition, the close knit sense of community and camaraderie within the school and between families have given our children invaluable friendships that we know will last a lifetime.

Posted February 6, 2014

I can go back to when my first son now attending USC as a Sophomore first attended CVAS and later my second son currently attending 8th grade and I can't think of anything else but being blessed for that decision. The school is also our family and my sons have made relationships that they will take into adulthood. As a parent I have made many friends from the same families sending their children here. This is a transgeneratial school, I have met so many parents that they themselves attended this very beautiful campus as well as some of their parents themselves. Academically I can't say enough about the school, it has prepared my sons for the next step and they had the opportunity to work with great teachers, principals, parents, staff over the past 18 years for my family alone. My sons have had opportunities to learn from so many different cultures, to see places they would not have seen in other schools, thru educational fieldtrips, that have only open up their horizons and made them more aware of the world and all the beauty it has to offer. I believe CVAS has done that an more and we wish the school the best. Once my son graduates this year, we will never forget CVAS.

Posted January 14, 2014

CVAS has been a blessing for our family! It has been a great Christian environment for our children to grow up and learn in.

Posted December 21, 2013

This is an amazing smaller private K-8th school. The teachers and principal are fantastic. They embrace all kinds of learning opportunities and it is common to see the different classrooms spending time outside for play and for learning. They actually have a giant grassy field, and not just a cement jungle. The Christian environment is so appreciated and the quality of education and character development is outstanding. Wouldn't dream of ever sending our kids any where else. Great school.

Posted November 19, 2013

This school has many great attributes: subjects are taught well, all students have choir or band, homework is a respectable amount, after school activities including sports teams, teachers and staff have graduated great universities including Loma Linda, La Sierra, and USC. The K-8 curriculum is challenging but not overwhelming. If you find your child should skip a grade they will help with that process too. It's exceptional in that there are international students from S. Korea, China and Japan. The kids develop lifelong friendships with peers and teachers and parents. Parents are highly motivated and are encouraged to support the school and see the programs succeed by volunteering every day. In addition, the family atmosphere is extended to seeing their friends, classmates, and teachers at their church as well. Students come from all walks of life and graduate with a solid foundation for high school and beyond. Wendy Newmyer is the principal and loves her job and the kids. Her leadership is contagious and motivates others to see her vision of a great school getting greater. Visit the school and visit the school's website: www.cvas.net .

Posted November 11, 2013

This school has enriched my family for generations! My mother attended, my siblings and I attended, and now my own children attend this jewel of a school. I see my classmates dropping off their own children here in the morning as well. We all continue this tradition because we want the quality education in a caring, Christian environment that this school has given for 90 years. Small classroom sizes, high academic scores, and daily worship in the classrooms are only a few reasons why I encourage you to come and visit this school for yourself.

Posted August 22, 2012

We love this school! And more importantly our kids love this school. I have never seen another school where the 8th graders know the Kindergarteners and work and play with them. This one aspect creates such confidents in the younger students that its benefits are beyond measure. The school motto is We Are One and it holds very true to that. It really is a school family and NOT just a place to send my kids. The school emphasizes the values and lessons that we instill at home and at church. Academics are very important at CVAS but I love the way lessons are NOT taught to the test. Instead information is conveyed in a non-pressure way that encourages the kids to want to learn. This allows for learners of all development stages to truly grasp the information. And an interesting fact is that students typically score at two grade levels above their public school counterparts. If you re looking for a safe, secure, loving environment for your children, you ve found it in Crescenta Valley Adventist School.

Posted January 17, 2009

Both my son and my daughter attend this school. My daughter recently graduated from this school as well. It's filled with kind and loving teachers. It's an absolutely great school!

Posted August 10, 2003

Crescenta Valley Adventist is not just a school, is a second home for our children. From the safe enviroment to the loving and caring staff, not to mention the principal,Mr.Brown, who knows each and everyone of the students by their first name. Crescenta Valley Adventist, not only has an awesome academic program but also teaches our children great values.

Ethnicity This school

Special staff resources available to students ELL/ESL Coordinator
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Tagalog
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • 1st Place for Academic Bowl (2012)
  • 3rd Place for Academic Bowl (2013)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 3:30 am
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Mrs. wendy Newmyer
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • secretary@cvas.net
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Multi-aged
  • STEM
  • Standards-based
  • Teacher-run
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

• ELL/ESL Coordinator
  • Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Drama
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Arts and crafts

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

Students typically come from these schools
Robbin's Nest Preschool

School-based aid
Outside scholarships
Church Sponsor

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Glendale Adventist Academy