561 students|Lowell Joint

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Develops character: Neutral

I do not really have an opinion, as a parent of a child that attends, I can tell you all that my child has learned regarding honesty and integrity has to do with what we teach in our home, not at school. My child has made no indication this is being taught in the classroom.

If you are able to 'get in' with the office staff or PTA by volunteering then you are able to get a good idea of who's who at Macy. However, if you are a full-time working parent then you can be very lost with all that is going on at this school. The principal, I've personally overheard her speak with parents, obviously friends, about her love life and her bad taste in men. NOT a conversation I wanted to overhear in a crowded hallway. She needs to keep her personal life, outside those school grounds. I was a bit disgusted to hear this! Ms. Ryan is not professional in my opinion and doesn't get back to parents when I asked for a meeting, she totally IGNORED my request and it took the teacher 1 month, YES, 1 month to respond to my email concerning my child's learning.

I writing this review to give future potential Macy parents some insight I wish I had prior to enrolling their children. I have been a Macy parent for many years and have seen the steady decline in the atmosphere, attitude, and learning environment as a whole. I believe it begins at the top with the principal, Ms. Ryan. She is rude to the students, speaks down to the parents, and not genuinely there for the children's best interest. The office staff is rude and abrasive. It feels almost militant the way things are run. If an assignment is missed, they can't sit still in class, or forget to have a paper from home signed, they are forced upon the fence for lunch/recess. Everything is negative with consequences yet no positive reinforcement or thankfulness from teachers. Parents do so much at the school yet it is unappreciated and expected most of the time. It is supposed to be considered one of the best schools in the district but sadly it isn't. With all the amazing parents there, if the Administration was different it could be amazing. Please look into other schools and visit this school prior to enrolling, do your homework and know what is best for your child!

God I freaking hate this school!!!!!!! All the teachers and staff are terrible and mean and just plain rude. I'll give examples, Mrs. Payne has this binder check where she takes your binder and shakes it. If papers fall out you have to go outside and be on the fence the entire lunch and or break. Le's say 5 papers fall out. That means you have to go on the fence for lunch and or break for five days. The special ed teacher, Mrs. Higgens are horrible to there students. All they do is yell at them and tell them to shutup. Mrs Ryan is rude and she'll yell at you in front of the whole school and make you cry. I'm never letting my kids go here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I DO NOT RECOMEND THIS SCHOOL TO ANYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking through the limited reviews of this school, I feel they don't represent the experience my children have had at Macy. So for parents looking here for information on whether or not to place their kids here, I offer my point of view. Macy is an exceptional school. The teachers teach the curriculum they are required by law to teach, work very hard, and care about their students. The PTA provides many perks that other schools cannot, like 2 field trips/year; Reflections pizza party AND museum field trip; Fall Carnival; Movie Night; Senior Friends Day; Holiday Show; Talent Show; monthly awards ceremony; band; art; new computer lab; a library WITH an actual, certified librarian; book fairs, etc. Open, grassy campus w/ newer playground structures, and trees for shade. I hope this helps!

Wow!! I'm afraid to enroll my kids in this school after reading some of these reviews for the 2014 school year. We are moving to this area very soon and my kids will have to attend this assigned school. Having kids stay out in the La Habra heat for entire recess seems harsh! I will not tolerate such punishment as to me it's considered a sort of corporal punishment. I will be speaking to the school district about this. I do not want my 3rd grade son w asthma be punished this way! If there's a teacher we should stay away from, please post. Thank you,

The restriction of recess is only allowed to improve behavior, not because a student is forgetful. Certain teachers are violating section AR5144(b) of the school board policy which states: Recess Restriction A teacher may restrict a student's recess time when he/she believes that this action is the most effective way to bring about improved behavior, subject to the following conditions: 1. The student shall be given adequate time to use the restroom and get a drink or eat lunch, as appropriate. 2. The student shall remain under a certificated employee or designee's supervision during the period of restriction. 3. Teachers shall inform the principal of any recess restrictions they impose.

This school seems to be getting more kids enrolled and not enough teachers. This year they formed a combo class of 2nd/3rd grade. Teacher for that class seems great, but many parents are stll skeptical as to if the kids will benefit from a combo class or not.

The teachers at this school work hard to provide a high quality education to their students. They are constantly striving to go beyond. Not all of the parents seem to recognize this, and expect the red carpet treatment for their child with no accountability. Checking homework and signing an agenda are the least they can do to play an active roll in their child's education. Any sort of discipline is frowned upon by parents, yet they fail to respectfully discuss any issues with teachers IN PERSON instead of by E-mail, and minimally follow through at home with their piece of the puzzle. Teachers are there to instruct, guide, and support their students. So what is the parents job in all this?

The way this school is being ran is just sad. Like many parents have wrote on here the quality of teachers is very low and the principal nor the superintendent do anything to fix the issues. The teachers here bully students and are allowed to. There is no one regulating them. Like other parents have said, the only main concern is the state test scores, which they constantly bring up, "this will be on the test!" That is basically what they are learning for, the state test at the end of the year. The year is just a big prep for this test which is what they all talk about there. So yes if you would like to send your child to a school with high state test scores then this may be the place for you. But if you would like to send your child to a school with great teachers, helpful principal and a fun and exciting way of learning then don't send them to Macy. And if you are to send your child here, I would definitely get parent feedback on which teachers to steer clear of. There's a few with horrible reps so it won't be hard to know who to not get!

Last modified Macy Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.