Posted November 17, 2014
Looking through the limited reviews of this school, I feel they don't represent the experience my children have had at Macy. So for parents looking here for information on whether or not to place their kids here, I offer my point of view. Macy is an exceptional school. The teachers teach the curriculum they are required by law to teach, work very hard, and care about their students. The PTA provides many perks that other schools cannot, like 2 field trips/year; Reflections pizza party AND museum field trip; Fall Carnival; Movie Night; Senior Friends Day; Holiday Show; Talent Show; monthly awards ceremony; band; art; new computer lab; a library WITH an actual, certified librarian; book fairs, etc. Open, grassy campus w/ newer playground structures, and trees for shade. I hope this helps!

Posted September 03, 2014
Wow!! I'm afraid to enroll my kids in this school after reading some of these reviews for the 2014 school year. We are moving to this area very soon and my kids will have to attend this assigned school. Having kids stay out in the La Habra heat for entire recess seems harsh! I will not tolerate such punishment as to me it's considered a sort of corporal punishment. I will be speaking to the school district about this. I do not want my 3rd grade son w asthma be punished this way! If there's a teacher we should stay away from, please post. Thank you,

Posted August 29, 2014
The restriction of recess is only allowed to improve behavior, not because a student is forgetful. Certain teachers are violating section AR5144(b) of the school board policy which states: Recess Restriction A teacher may restrict a student's recess time when he/she believes that this action is the most effective way to bring about improved behavior, subject to the following conditions: 1. The student shall be given adequate time to use the restroom and get a drink or eat lunch, as appropriate. 2. The student shall remain under a certificated employee or designee's supervision during the period of restriction. 3. Teachers shall inform the principal of any recess restrictions they impose.

Macy Elementary School 4

Posted August 15, 2014
This school seems to be getting more kids enrolled and not enough teachers. This year they formed a combo class of 2nd/3rd grade. Teacher for that class seems great, but many parents are stll skeptical as to if the kids will benefit from a combo class or not.

Posted July 28, 2014
The teachers at this school work hard to provide a high quality education to their students. They are constantly striving to go beyond. Not all of the parents seem to recognize this, and expect the red carpet treatment for their child with no accountability. Checking homework and signing an agenda are the least they can do to play an active roll in their child's education. Any sort of discipline is frowned upon by parents, yet they fail to respectfully discuss any issues with teachers IN PERSON instead of by E-mail, and minimally follow through at home with their piece of the puzzle. Teachers are there to instruct, guide, and support their students. So what is the parents job in all this?

Posted July 27, 2014
The teachers and staff are mean and lazy! I'm a student and if we forget something or we didn't listen we had to go outside the classroom 2 get yelled at by a teacher or go outside ad stay on a fence the whole entire break! We had 2 get an agenda signed and if we didn't, we had to go on the fence! All the teachers do is go on their phone or laptop!

Posted April 04, 2014
The way this school is being ran is just sad. Like many parents have wrote on here the quality of teachers is very low and the principal nor the superintendent do anything to fix the issues. The teachers here bully students and are allowed to. There is no one regulating them. Like other parents have said, the only main concern is the state test scores, which they constantly bring up, "this will be on the test!" That is basically what they are learning for, the state test at the end of the year. The year is just a big prep for this test which is what they all talk about there. So yes if you would like to send your child to a school with high state test scores then this may be the place for you. But if you would like to send your child to a school with great teachers, helpful principal and a fun and exciting way of learning then don't send them to Macy. And if you are to send your child here, I would definitely get parent feedback on which teachers to steer clear of. There's a few with horrible reps so it won't be hard to know who to not get!

Posted December 06, 2013
After reading some comments, I had to respond because there is a misunderstanding as to how much freedom a teacher has. Most of the negative comments are about things that are out of our hands. The school board decides how much homework we must assign, whether or not to fund after school activities, how many field trips we can take (and our PTA funds these trips), and how we teach. No teacher likes giving homework. No teacher is happy with how we must deliver our instruction, and we would love to go on more field trips. We simply have to follow the directives of the school board. If we do not, then we are called to task by our principal. As for the teachers not caring, I personally take offense to this. Many of us easily put in 3 to 5 hours extra at school each day. Then we easily put in 2 to 3 hours at home each night and easily work one full day over the weekends. We will all work over the upcoming holiday vacation. We do care. We do love our jobs and our students. I have only seen dedication in every teacher at this school and I have been here for 17 years.

Macy Elementary School 2

Posted June 06, 2012
Not impressed with teachers following through/keeping the commitments touted in the 1st parent night. For example, they said they would return calls or e-mail by next day. Most email replys are days late and even a week late (how does that help with an assignment question?), and rarely returned phone calls. Extra help just not there - teachers' actions seemed like they didn't care to deal with it. Principal also very slow in responses. Not sure how they manage to reflect their scores,... teach to the test maybe, how many kids taking different tests b/c of special ed, or kids must be genius, b/c the teaching is lacking in some of the grades. - Parent involvement is a plus but cliquish. It's an OK school. Teachers don't hear it, but lots of inapproprate language on campus, some bullying, and over provocative dressing by little girls. Is the school as good as implied, no. It's so-so.

Macy Elementary School 0

Posted April 16, 2010
It is an excellent school with a good record for giving a quality elementary education.

Macy Elementary School
2301 West Russell Street, La Habra, CA  90631
Last modified Macy Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Macy Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 35 reviews. Top