561 students|Lowell Joint

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Parent (1 response)

Grateful to: Parent

Posted May 09, 2016
There are several parents in the PTA that give all their time and effort to putting on great book fairs, magic show nights, movie nights, and student store. They deserve so much credit and I wish I had more time to help them out, they are the bones of this school just as much as the ones getting paid to be there. Way to go PTA and volunteer parents!

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted May 09, 2016
I currently have a student at this school in 3rd grade. I don't know how you would develop respect in the students when you make the students 'stay on the fence' when they forget to get a paper signed from home. This type of 'discipline' and or 'respect' is treating the children like animals in a cage. Personally my child needs to get the wiggles out every chance he gets and has lot of energy which makes the learning experience worse if not able to expend this energy somewhere. Terrible and the principle makes no bones about changing this!

Develops honesty: Neutral

Posted May 09, 2016
I do not really have an opinion, as a parent of a child that attends, I can tell you all that my child has learned regarding honesty and integrity has to do with what we teach in our home, not at school. My child has made no indication this is being taught in the classroom.

Posted May 09, 2016
If you are able to 'get in' with the office staff or PTA by volunteering then you are able to get a good idea of who's who at Macy. However, if you are a full-time working parent then you can be very lost with all that is going on at this school. The principal, I've personally overheard her speak with parents, obviously friends, about her love life and her bad taste in men. NOT a conversation I wanted to overhear in a crowded hallway. She needs to keep her personal life, outside those school grounds. I was a bit disgusted to hear this! Ms. Ryan is not professional in my opinion and doesn't get back to parents when I asked for a meeting, she totally IGNORED my request and it took the teacher 1 month, YES, 1 month to respond to my email concerning my child's learning.

Posted May 18, 2015
I writing this review to give future potential Macy parents some insight I wish I had prior to enrolling their children. I have been a Macy parent for many years and have seen the steady decline in the atmosphere, attitude, and learning environment as a whole. I believe it begins at the top with the principal, Ms. Ryan. She is rude to the students, speaks down to the parents, and not genuinely there for the children's best interest. The office staff is rude and abrasive. It feels almost militant the way things are run. If an assignment is missed, they can't sit still in class, or forget to have a paper from home signed, they are forced upon the fence for lunch/recess. Everything is negative with consequences yet no positive reinforcement or thankfulness from teachers. Parents do so much at the school yet it is unappreciated and expected most of the time. It is supposed to be considered one of the best schools in the district but sadly it isn't. With all the amazing parents there, if the Administration was different it could be amazing. Please look into other schools and visit this school prior to enrolling, do your homework and know what is best for your child!

Posted May 01, 2015
God I freaking hate this school!!!!!!! All the teachers and staff are terrible and mean and just plain rude. I'll give examples, Mrs. Payne has this binder check where she takes your binder and shakes it. If papers fall out you have to go outside and be on the fence the entire lunch and or break. Le's say 5 papers fall out. That means you have to go on the fence for lunch and or break for five days. The special ed teacher, Mrs. Higgens are horrible to there students. All they do is yell at them and tell them to shutup. Mrs Ryan is rude and she'll yell at you in front of the whole school and make you cry. I'm never letting my kids go here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I DO NOT RECOMEND THIS SCHOOL TO ANYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Macy Elementary School 5

Posted November 17, 2014
Looking through the limited reviews of this school, I feel they don't represent the experience my children have had at Macy. So for parents looking here for information on whether or not to place their kids here, I offer my point of view. Macy is an exceptional school. The teachers teach the curriculum they are required by law to teach, work very hard, and care about their students. The PTA provides many perks that other schools cannot, like 2 field trips/year; Reflections pizza party AND museum field trip; Fall Carnival; Movie Night; Senior Friends Day; Holiday Show; Talent Show; monthly awards ceremony; band; art; new computer lab; a library WITH an actual, certified librarian; book fairs, etc. Open, grassy campus w/ newer playground structures, and trees for shade. I hope this helps!

Posted September 03, 2014
Wow!! I'm afraid to enroll my kids in this school after reading some of these reviews for the 2014 school year. We are moving to this area very soon and my kids will have to attend this assigned school. Having kids stay out in the La Habra heat for entire recess seems harsh! I will not tolerate such punishment as to me it's considered a sort of corporal punishment. I will be speaking to the school district about this. I do not want my 3rd grade son w asthma be punished this way! If there's a teacher we should stay away from, please post. Thank you,

Posted August 29, 2014
The restriction of recess is only allowed to improve behavior, not because a student is forgetful. Certain teachers are violating section AR5144(b) of the school board policy which states: Recess Restriction A teacher may restrict a student's recess time when he/she believes that this action is the most effective way to bring about improved behavior, subject to the following conditions: 1. The student shall be given adequate time to use the restroom and get a drink or eat lunch, as appropriate. 2. The student shall remain under a certificated employee or designee's supervision during the period of restriction. 3. Teachers shall inform the principal of any recess restrictions they impose.

Macy Elementary School 4

Posted August 15, 2014
This school seems to be getting more kids enrolled and not enough teachers. This year they formed a combo class of 2nd/3rd grade. Teacher for that class seems great, but many parents are stll skeptical as to if the kids will benefit from a combo class or not.

2301 West Russell Street, La Habra, CA  90631-2473
Last modified Macy Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.