Posted August 02, 2014
As a parent, ensuring that my child receives a quality education is very important to me. With that being said, I could not be happier that my son attends El Cerrito Elementary School. The quality of teaching is absolutely unbelievable. Last year, my son was blessed to have Mrs. Putnam as his kindergarten teacher. She is definitely a tremendous educator dedicated to the success of her students. My son loved being in her class, and would constantly talk about what he had learned. She provided a safe and calm learning environment where my son was able to express himself creatively. Mrs. Putnam also invoked a love of learning, inspiring my child to read and write for pleasure. I can t wait to see what he will learn throughout his journey through primary school, and I wouldn t want him anywhere else. I highly recommend El Cerrito to anyone without reservation!

Posted June 06, 2014
I am so pleased with the instruction that my son received at El Cerrito in the TK class. Ms. Nonis is an exceptional teacher who guided my son in exceeding the standards. Her patience and kindness helped improve his social skills so he would be ready for the demands of kindergarten. The dedication of Ms. Nonis was clearly evident throughout the entire year. Her expectations were clear, communication between her and the parents was constant, and she loved her students. You could see that everyday as you picked up your child. She NEVER lets her students out of her sight, she made sure to see each parent as they picked up their child, and she made herself available to talk to you EVERYDAY at pickup if you needed to speak with her. I was very impressed. I highly recommend El Cerrito and know that I can rest assured that my son is more than prepared for success in Kindergarten.

Posted August 12, 2013
This school is terrible! 90% of the school is Latino of which majority can't speak ENGLISH! The staff is too busy focusing on these non English speakers and leaving the fluent English speakers behind! My son is not up to par academically for what grade level he should currently be in! And the District give no regards towards parents trying to transfer their children out of this school!!!! Can't wait to move out of this horrifying DISTRICT!

Posted June 19, 2013
My child was in the brand new TK grade this past year & I can't say enough about the staff & administration here! The TK teacher is so caring & works very well with parents on their child's specific issues. The principal is very involved as well, even to the point of taking up collections for the most needy families & striving to work with families going through divorce & more serious issues. By the end of the year there were many TK kids already passing the sight word requirement for kindergarten (the next grade)! We could not have asked for a better start to our child's education! Yes, there is a large Hispanic population, but they don't chose who enrolls or the demographics of the city. Fact: La Habra is over 57% Hispanic and the hispanic portion of the population is younger overall than other "races" so, yes, there are a lot of Hispanic kids. If you can't handle that move, but you will just be delaying the inevitable. White people won't be the majority in the country for much longer. We are are all one race, the human race. So get over it. You have no idea the issues the staff faces on a daily basis. Stop complaining & start fixing your own home before pointing fingers.

Posted June 05, 2013
The school is out right horrible. Staff is rude and downright insulting. Classrooms ratios are 30 plus students to 1 teacher. Noise level is not acceptable. Scary place for learning.

Posted May 04, 2013
I totally agree with the comments posted in January and April 2013.The teachers send the English speaking children to the last rows and provides preferential seating to those children who speak a language other than English. Really ?. I wish someone brings these issues to the top bosses at the district.

Posted April 04, 2013
racists don't like this school because for once it's not all about the white people

Posted April 01, 2013
I can not think of 1 good thing to say about this school. My child attended here for a short period and I was very un-happy with the under performing teachers and the lack of attention and teaching given to the White children verses the hispanic kids. The many 5 hour "teaching" days and dozens of 1/2 days created a very unsatisfactory learning experience for my child, while at the same time the teachers there were making demands for more pay and paid "training" days and wanting to go on strike at El Cerrito school which affected the learning experience my child was attempting to obtain. Needless to say I pulled my child from this school and now she and my 2 other children attend private school. Many of my neighbors too have pulled their children from El Cerrito. I have seen a 100% change in my child's desire to go to school, learn, and like and expect to learn from her new teacher. I have found out after the fact that this school was slated to be closed some years ago but to keep it open the district started busing hundreds of kids from all around La Habra to bolster attendance. In my humble taxpayer opinion this school should be shuttered and the teachers fired.

Posted February 14, 2013
We were just talking about El Cerrito tonight and what a wonderful school it was when my daughter went there. She is not a 20 something age, college student, and plans to teach in the future. She was saying what a great start she got at El Cerrito and later at Walnut.

El Cerrito Elementary School 2

Posted January 29, 2013
I ahve to agree with the lack of diversity and the fact that most children that attend El Cerrito are not fluent in English. I definitely hurts the ability of those who do speak English to progress at a satisfactory pace. The teachers hands are tied by the system and an administration that does not want parents to cause waves. If the parents who agree with this position would stand together, I believe both the school site administration and the lousy school superintendent would have no choice but to listen and make some changes.

El Cerrito Elementary School
1051 North Hillside, La Habra, CA  90631
Last modified El Cerrito Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-2. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
El Cerrito Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top