Washington Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 889 students

Posted May 14, 2013

Two of my older sons attended this school from 2006-2009 and had no problems with the administration. My youngest son began attending the school and new head administrators had been hired. I haven't been satisfied with their performances and am strongly disappointed in the administrators lack integrity and professionalism. We held a district meeting with various principals and administrators of the district. One of the head administrators at WMS was caught lying about the situation in which my son was accused of being the perpetrator of a physical altercation between two other students. I can't find the words to explain my great disappointment in the administration of this school.

Posted April 3, 2013

I currently attend washington middle school. i can honostly say that i am proud of my teachers and my principal/vice principal for all that they do for us. i am currently in seventh grade and i accually look forward to school because it`s such a grea enviorment. i mean all schools deal with their up`s and down`s but our school has many things to be proud of. my teachers dedicate their time to helping us improve in all subjects! it`s really a great school!

Posted September 26, 2012

im a student at the school and i love it the teachers actually cae and the principle and the vp are really active whether in the wms news or playing a little two hand touch football the school has awsome teacher: mr al-jamie mrs jackson,and so many more thank you wms

Posted August 9, 2010

My child was severely bullied at this school and very little was done about it. The vice principal was actually the person who told me about the problem, and he told me as if it were a funny joke. It climaxed with my child being beaten up on the playground. I took her out and put her in another school, where she's doing much better. The only reason I give this school one star is because, academically, the teachers really try. But problems were not dealt with. I hope it's gotten better.

Posted April 22, 2010

This school has been great in helping with the transition from secondary to middle school. The Principal, Vice Principal, and entire administration are VERY involved and encouraging in every student's academic performance and future. We support WMS Patriots 100%.

Posted March 31, 2010

I am very impressed with the attention given to the students by the principal and staff. The environment is well maintained and conducive to the learning structure. The Principal and Assistant Principal are on campus and involved more than any I have seen before. Congratulations for job well done.

Posted March 10, 2010

The Best school ever!!! The kids are cool and so are the teachers and principals! Keep up the good work guys!!!

Posted December 12, 2009

i love my school the teachers actually care about us as kids! Also the princlible is doing a fantastic job! He funds everything very wisely.

Posted September 21, 2009

I am amazed at how many teachers are no longer at WMS my daughter is now in the 8th grade at WMS and ever year since 6th it seems the District continues to get rid of teachers. My daughter had Mr. Gould for AVID last year and I was excited to have her again have Mr. Gould for 8th grade AVID and history. However, I found out it appears he was let go with the budget cuts. Where is the Districts priorities?

Posted August 10, 2009

WMS is a very educational school.Im going to be in 8th grade.It will be happy and sad for me to say goodbye to the wonderful teachers and staff.Mr.Manty retired.He was a wonderful principal.I got all my school supllies already.Well i have to go if you would like to know more about WMS add me.

Posted May 21, 2009

As a parent who has had two students graduate from WMS, and has a 6th grader there now, I am sooo glad to have had my kids go there. The principle is excellent and very involved with the student body. The vice principle Mr. Carlos in the past couple of years has introduced several after school activities like track and sports. Unlike other posters, I have had great experiences with the teachers there, you just have to get involved. The administration is very good about working with you when you do have a problem. Do your homework and get involved!

Posted March 5, 2009

Well, this is my second year at WMS (I'm an 8th grader that will be graduating in June) and I have to say that this year has been a lot better for me than last year. Even with all the tax cuts and everything that the government has done, there are more afterschool clubs than last year, and we actually have sports teams. All my teachers are awesome, and really fun. The poster before me mentioned that there are lots of outbursts and laughter, and its true, but hey, we're having fun, and I think its alright as long as we can get under control when the teacher asks us to and we still learn. I'm in all honors classes, and even will all that, everyone is passing in all of my classes. So its improving, and I think its a good school overall.

Posted March 4, 2009

I have 2 children that attend this school, and I am VERY disappointed at the way things are handled there. I have repeatedly tried to get in touch with their teacher's on numerous occasions to only get 1 or 2 responses. I spent a day at school recently with my younger child and was shocked to see the way the classrooms at this school are handled. They were out of control with frequent outburst, laughing, and sarcasm. I now understand why my child has such a hard time concentrating in his classes. It is unfortunate that the classroom sizes are so large. I don't see a chance for any of the children there to get ahead or have any kind of decent education. I hope for the children that things change in the near future.

Posted November 3, 2008

As a parent who has a 7th grader and one already graduated from Washington it my pleasure to say I am glad I have another one coming next year. This school has done a fantastic job with all of the cut backs in programs and staffing. I am looking forward to 3 more years of excelent teaching.

Posted August 24, 2008

eh, this school is ok. there are definately a lot of things the school, starting with its apperance. at first sight, this seems like a really boring, dull school. they should really do something about that. and the students for the most part aren't very welcoming and they tend to be bad influences. also, they should have more extracurricular activities or more elective options. they really don't give us a whole lot to choose from. i mean, there's only like 5 or 6 electives o.O. the teachers are great though! i loved all of my teachers, especially miss rich and miss smith :]. they really care about the students and try to help you as much as possible. so, overall, its an ok school. :]

Posted October 27, 2007

the school is pretty good, but there are not very many activities and the students are not very welcoming. this is my first year here, but it has been practically 2 months and i still have no friends. also, some of the students seem to be very bad influences and i don't like that.

Posted April 13, 2007

My daughter has been attending Washington Middle School for almost 2 years now. She is very happy with her teachers and the principal. Mr. Mantee is a wonderful, understanding principal, who really seems to care about the children. All of her teachers have been great and very helpful. However, there are not many extracurricular activities at this critical age for children to keep them away from drugs and gangs.

Posted February 3, 2007

This school has very dedicated teachers but a lot of students are very bad influences and I do not like that because it can interfere with our learning.

Posted January 14, 2007

I enrolled my son in Washington Middle this year and was not very happy. I didn't see any concern coming from the teachers (except one) about my son's grades. I tried talking to his teachers and didn't get any good results from it. I was not happy at all with the whole situation. My son has always done well in school until he attended here. They don't have a dress code and they are too lenient with the students. I ended up taking my son out of the school and he's now doing much better in his new school.

Posted February 10, 2006

This school doesn't offer much in the way of student assistance. They do not try to help their students succeed. Once your child has been labeled, that is howthey will always be treated. And for those students that have troubles, they stick them all in the same class together.

This school's

(2012)

4 / 10

1 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

4 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

1 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

260 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

264 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

22 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

290 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

272 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

91 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

284 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

188 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

11 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

290 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

283 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Females50%

Parent education - high school graduate56%
Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)29%
Parent education - college graduate46%
Parent education - declined to state45%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students26%

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 6%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • Spanish
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
  • Computer lab

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

716 East La Habra Boulevard