Muirlands Middle School

Public | 6-8

Posted June 15, 2014

As an actual former student student of Muirlands, (I graduated 2014), I feel I have more expertise to speak on the quality of the school more than these moms who feel the need to complain about the lack of a sixth-grade language program. First of all, I think the parents who believe that the eighth grade teachers are significantly worse than the sixth grade teachers don't understand that in eighth grade it is excepted that students become more independent. In fact, I actually believe the eighth grade teachers taught the material the best. Muirlands just received a new principal who seems to bringing the school in great places with the involvement of technology. Many Muirlands teachers will give additional help to students IF THEY ASK. So if your child is struggling DON'T just expect for the front office to do something about it; have your child ask their teacher. As said in a previous review, when your child reaches eighth grade they will receive the opportunity to go on the East Coast Trip. THIS IS A MUST! As for the workload, it is somewhat high. It is nowhere near the amount Bishops gets, but it is more than other SD Middle Schools. So overall, Muirlands is a very good school.

Posted May 13, 2014

Muirlands Middle School provides a mostly high-quality education. Your experience at this school greatly depends on the teachers you have. For example, my English teacher is extremely well-knowledgable and has been an extremely good influence, whereas some of my other friends with different teachers (I am in seminar) complain about their respective teachers. Recently, we have a gained a new principal, who has already began to improve Muirlands Middle School and I believe he will continue to improve the school. Previously, our campus was extremely- there's no other way to put it- gross. Now, he has really come down on the issue and you can see the improvement already. In addition, Muirlands Middle School provides a reasonable amount of choices of electives starting in 7th grade. Many parents complain about this, but as it is still a public school, I think that it would be slightly unreasonable to expect more. Overall, Muirlands Middle School exhibits a good example of what a public middle school should be like- to a certain extent.

Posted February 4, 2014

This is my daughter's first year at Muirlands. I was so nervous since she started in 7th grade. I was scared since the kids would already be in clicks and not be nice. Let me tell you, all of the kids have been wonderful, she has made several friends and enjoys going to school. The teachers and staff are really nice and my daughter seems to be learning a lot. So far we are having a wonderful experience.

Posted January 21, 2014

My son graduated from La Jolla elementary, an amazing school, and entered 6th grade this year at Muirlands. Not impressed with the standards here at Muirlands. We lived in AZ for five years before moving to CA, and my son qualifies for gifted education in the state of AZ, When he was tested here he scored in the 96th percentile (one percent below the cut-off for honors admissions). Apparently this school is so broke they can't afford to pull him into the gifted/honors classes he should be attending. And there is no foreign language for 6th grade either!! This school needs major improvements. It is such a shame. Needless to say, we will be moving back to AZ where he can receive the quality education that he deserves. Signed, Unhappy Parent

Posted October 30, 2013

PARENTS - PLEASE READ: Let me sum up your kids' experience at Muirlands: 6th grade is awful, 7th grade is OK, and 8th grade is an amazing experience. When you first enter the school, you'll find the administration to be very unhelpful and rude, the campus/student/teacher atmosphere extremely unpleasant. They make absolutely no effort to make the incoming 6th graders welcome, but just help your child get through the year and push to make sure they get all the good teachers. Although there's no teachers that are truly awful, there are some unpleasant ones that can quickly ruin your year. In 7th grade, the Yosemite trip is a good experience, and in 8th Grade - MAKE SURE YOUR CHILD ATTENDS THE EAST COAST TRIP. It's an incredible learning & social experience where they spend a week traveling on the east coast cities with some of the best teachers. Although the administration, campus, and teachers are all pretty poor in 6th and even 7th grade, your child's amazing 8th grade year will more than make up for it. Check RateMyTeachers.com to see who the best teachers are, and who's not. There's some really hard classes and also really lazy ones.

Posted June 22, 2013

PLEASE READ IN FULL!.. I am a parent of a student that went to muirlands for two years, and my child did very well the first year. The second year however my child started to struggle a little with math and they immediately wanted to get my child tested. They said my child needed an IEP and they couldnt provide what my child needed at their school. It was my first child, I was ignorant in the ways of test scoring and school funding.In my opinion We were BULLIED out of this school!! I realized a few years later that the diagnosis was bull. In my opinion they basically didnt want my child bringing down their scoring. PARENTS DONT GET AN IEP until you have outside testing done. It is easy to get a child on an IEP but SO HARD to get your child off one. In my opinion this school is all about scoring and funding and have no room for empathy or nurturing. I was appalled by our treatment once I figured out what really went on . I do take some responsibility, I should have done my homework. Now my child has this on school record for the rest of my childs life. My child wanted to join the Marines and cant now because of the IEP. Be a ver involved parent, fight for them, they sure wont.

Posted June 15, 2013

I attended Muirlands Middle School for 8th grade. The school was nice, kept well and most of the teachers were amazing. I was robbed at the school and school officials did nothing. I was bullied by other students that I did not know and reported this to three different teachers nothing was doing. The bulling never did stop, until a group of the bused in kids had some words with the bullies and the bullying stopped. I was rejected from the 8th grade trip to DC then the school turned around and asked me to donate money so other students could go. ( I still have the reject letter and the donation request letter). I had a terrible time making friends, because the cliques were so tight knit. La Jolla High was just as bad for me as well. I left after the 9th grade.

Posted February 26, 2013

I feel the biggest problem with this school is discrimination for kids that are sick. They have many double standards when it comes to dealing with sick children. They were very upset with me for sending my sick child to school, yet when I kept her home from school, they punished her by making her do extra laps in her gym class and yelling at her for missing school. When she returned to school after having the flu, no one was concernced about her health; instead they gave her the cold shoulder and made her feel very badly about missing school.

Posted January 23, 2013

A lot of bullys and I am ashamed to say not from the bused in kids but the locals. When the school gets out it is dreadful, children mill around the area with no consideration for homes and lawns. My child attended for 3 years and the teachers were fine but the issue falls on the students and their parents. If I had to do it again I would have not been so cheap and went private.

Posted September 24, 2012

Beeing new to the SDUSD and to the country and having 4 kids in 3 different schools I must say the school does not makes you feel welcome. The regulations are strict and Administartion(vice principal)is more concerned about the regulations beeing followed than about the students. They are kind of unfreindly and towards kids which don t understand the rules (because they don t know the language ) and also towards parents . I was never been treated so rude ina school administration before ... They argued at me before they even give me their name or I could figure out who they are- kind of strange.The result is, that my kid does not want to attend that school any longer- it will be a hard job to get him motivated again.

Posted June 18, 2012

I would give the 6th grade staff a grade of "B", the 7th grade staff a grade of "C" and the 8th grade staff a grade of "D". From a bit of nurturing in the 6th grade to none in the 8th grade it becomes a cold place to attend school. All warmth and caring seemed to be devalued, this must come from the top. The school's office is very intimidating and not a nice place to visit. It's strictly business, the 8th grade history teachers for example are like dictators, and if you complain the administration about anything, you become labeled "unreasonable". The school is good due to the community it is located in and the enrichment we provide our children outside of the school year. This school is stagnating.

Posted June 18, 2012

The parent below me who rated 6th grade staff "B" and 8th grade staff a "D", had better realize that not only are there nurturing teachers at the 8th grade, but these teachers also must prepare their students for high school. At high school, there is very little nurturing if any. As a parent of a former Muirlands student, who is now attending high school, my daughter had a great experience in all 3 grades. She loved all her teachers at Muirlands, especially those of the 8th grade. She felt cared for, yet ready for independence. Muirlands is awesome. These teachers bring so much to their students. Some 8th grade students hung out in one teacher's room until 6 almost every day, including my daughter. Is this not nurturing and caring? A very progressive school, catering to a community that can be difficult at times.

Posted March 19, 2012

Having had two children attend this school - one presently in 12th grade and one in 8th, my experience with all of the grades at Muirlands is that it is a school of extremely strong teachers who provide an excellent learning experience. I can't think of one teacher all these years who hasn't challenged and inspired. The principal is an excellent leader who cares about the children. In this community, it is academically one of the most challenging schools, even among the private schools.

Posted January 13, 2012

In my previous review, I forgot to add (for the parent who is not enamored with the Muirlands math teacher) that my child is currently in that teacher s math class and, struggles with algebra. Anytime my child has asked for help, that teacher has given up her lunch for him. Her after school tutoring program is great. Kids can stay for as long as they want, and my son has taken advantage of that to get his homework done. She stays until 6 on most days. Too bad your daughter did not take advantage of that! We do not allow our son to fall behind. Algebra does not come easily to him. We encourage him to complete his homework. My other 2 children who attended Muirlands did not experience any humiliation from any teacher. My son does not either. Teachers work very hard and, oftentimes, do not get the respect they deserve. In fact, they are humiliated at times and the parents do nothing about it. As for administration and counselors, I have never had a negative experience with them.

Posted January 12, 2012

My daughter is in the 9th grade now and is doing well in school with the exception of algebra, admittedly a difficult subject. Math is an extremely important subject and needs to be taught well. My child is now a year behind in math, which really becomes a problem with UC school requirements. The math teacher needs to retire! The school needs to hire someone who will teach effectively and actually help struggling students, not care about just the "smart" students. She does however excel in humiliating the struggling students. The principal and counselors did nothing to intervene. We hired a great tutor but it our daughter was so far behind it didn't really help. The staff also needs to check the bullying problem, especially against the special needs students.

Posted August 4, 2011

I am a student at muirlands, going into 8th grade. Muirlands is a hard school. You have lots o homework, and big punishments for little actions. The school focuses too much on the bussed in kids who dont even want to be there. The principal isnt very nice, the campus is very dirty and smells very bad. There are a few really great teachers (mainly 6th grade teachers) such as Ms.Latta, Mr.Best, Mr.Heinze and so on. Coming from a super amazing Elementary school, muirlands was terrifying the first year. But now I do understand the real world. I have made a lot of friends this year and we have a lot of fun during classes so in a way, it's worth it. Muirlands IS a glimpse of the real world which every kid needs to experience before being thrown into the real world.

Posted January 8, 2011

THis is the greatest school ever. the teachers, principal, the classes are so great that words cannot describe it.

Posted September 25, 2010

Muirlands is a fantastic school. I was really worried that my child would be lost there, but that was completely unfounded. Not only is the quality of teaching excellent, but also there are also so many opportunities for fun. All the new kids (and their parents) who were worried about going to Muirlands, all agree it is a great school. I am frankly wonderfully surprised--because I was so worried about Middle School. However, at Muirlands the teachers are EXCELLENT, the communication between teachers and parents is clear and helpful. The staff are cheerful, parents are engaged. Yes, there is alot expected of the students (and their parents for that matter--e.g. signing off on homework and being involved in their kids' academics), however there is help always available. Also at Muirlands they take every opportunity to keep kids socially happy, and busy having fun during lunch. Great school!

Posted September 21, 2010

During the first week of school, one of the staff coordinated a meeting for all of our students teachers to attend to coordinate our efforts to make sure the school year would be the most beneficial possible. That was unsolicited. All of the teachers were great, happy to be there and caring educators. It does not get better than this.

Posted March 1, 2010

Muirlands is not such a great school, well in my opinion. I am currently in the 7th grade and the homework, asiignments, and the test and quizzes are really frustrating. If you don't take my word for it, ask any student! That is why i give Muirlands 2 out 5 starts.
—Submitted by a student

(2012)

9 / 10

2 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

9 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

2 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

304 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

305 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

335 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

238 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

265 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

365 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

87 students were tested at this school in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

370 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

364 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students78%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)69%
Parent education - college graduate84%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate88%
Parent education - declined to state36%

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Studentsn/a
Femalesn/a
Malesn/a
White (not Hispanic)n/a
Not economically disadvantagedn/a
Students with disabilityn/a
Students with no reported disabilityn/a
Fluent-English proficient and English onlyn/a
Gifted and talentedn/a
Parent education - college graduaten/a
Parent education - graduate school/post graduaten/a

Geometry

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 0%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

1056 Nautilus Street