La Jolla, CA
Students enrolled: 1,090

Posted January 06, 2015
The school is getting much better under the new principal. It seems that the principal is building a new team that is friendly, professional and helpful. Last year, the school was horrible that the some of the administration staff were rude, unfriendly and bullying, Unfortunately, the vice principal, Nash, is till there, she is a power hunger, mean, and enjoy screwing up people's life. Can't wait to see the day she leaves the school, than the sky of the muirlands would be blue. Don't know how she get to that vince principal's position??? She is the shame of our public school system, she brings nightmares to students and parents. If she ever becomes a principal, than our public school system really fails.
3 people found this helpful

Posted June 15, 2014
As an actual former student student of Muirlands, (I graduated 2014), I feel I have more expertise to speak on the quality of the school more than these moms who feel the need to complain about the lack of a sixth-grade language program. First of all, I think the parents who believe that the eighth grade teachers are significantly worse than the sixth grade teachers don't understand that in eighth grade it is excepted that students become more independent. In fact, I actually believe the eighth grade teachers taught the material the best. Muirlands just received a new principal who seems to bringing the school in great places with the involvement of technology. Many Muirlands teachers will give additional help to students IF THEY ASK. So if your child is struggling DON'T just expect for the front office to do something about it; have your child ask their teacher. As said in a previous review, when your child reaches eighth grade they will receive the opportunity to go on the East Coast Trip. THIS IS A MUST! As for the workload, it is somewhat high. It is nowhere near the amount Bishops gets, but it is more than other SD Middle Schools. So overall, Muirlands is a very good school.

Posted May 13, 2014
Muirlands Middle School provides a mostly high-quality education. Your experience at this school greatly depends on the teachers you have. For example, my English teacher is extremely well-knowledgable and has been an extremely good influence, whereas some of my other friends with different teachers (I am in seminar) complain about their respective teachers. Recently, we have a gained a new principal, who has already began to improve Muirlands Middle School and I believe he will continue to improve the school. Previously, our campus was extremely- there's no other way to put it- gross. Now, he has really come down on the issue and you can see the improvement already. In addition, Muirlands Middle School provides a reasonable amount of choices of electives starting in 7th grade. Many parents complain about this, but as it is still a public school, I think that it would be slightly unreasonable to expect more. Overall, Muirlands Middle School exhibits a good example of what a public middle school should be like- to a certain extent.

Posted February 04, 2014
This is my daughter's first year at Muirlands. I was so nervous since she started in 7th grade. I was scared since the kids would already be in clicks and not be nice. Let me tell you, all of the kids have been wonderful, she has made several friends and enjoys going to school. The teachers and staff are really nice and my daughter seems to be learning a lot. So far we are having a wonderful experience.

Posted January 21, 2014
My son graduated from La Jolla elementary, an amazing school, and entered 6th grade this year at Muirlands. Not impressed with the standards here at Muirlands. We lived in AZ for five years before moving to CA, and my son qualifies for gifted education in the state of AZ, When he was tested here he scored in the 96th percentile (one percent below the cut-off for honors admissions). Apparently this school is so broke they can't afford to pull him into the gifted/honors classes he should be attending. And there is no foreign language for 6th grade either!! This school needs major improvements. It is such a shame. Needless to say, we will be moving back to AZ where he can receive the quality education that he deserves. Signed, Unhappy Parent

Posted October 30, 2013
PARENTS - PLEASE READ: Let me sum up your kids' experience at Muirlands: 6th grade is awful, 7th grade is OK, and 8th grade is an amazing experience. When you first enter the school, you'll find the administration to be very unhelpful and rude, the campus/student/teacher atmosphere extremely unpleasant. They make absolutely no effort to make the incoming 6th graders welcome, but just help your child get through the year and push to make sure they get all the good teachers. Although there's no teachers that are truly awful, there are some unpleasant ones that can quickly ruin your year. In 7th grade, the Yosemite trip is a good experience, and in 8th Grade - MAKE SURE YOUR CHILD ATTENDS THE EAST COAST TRIP. It's an incredible learning & social experience where they spend a week traveling on the east coast cities with some of the best teachers. Although the administration, campus, and teachers are all pretty poor in 6th and even 7th grade, your child's amazing 8th grade year will more than make up for it. Check RateMyTeachers.com to see who the best teachers are, and who's not. There's some really hard classes and also really lazy ones.

Posted June 22, 2013
PLEASE READ IN FULL!.. I am a parent of a student that went to muirlands for two years, and my child did very well the first year. The second year however my child started to struggle a little with math and they immediately wanted to get my child tested. They said my child needed an IEP and they couldnt provide what my child needed at their school. It was my first child, I was ignorant in the ways of test scoring and school funding.In my opinion We were BULLIED out of this school!! I realized a few years later that the diagnosis was bull. In my opinion they basically didnt want my child bringing down their scoring. PARENTS DONT GET AN IEP until you have outside testing done. It is easy to get a child on an IEP but SO HARD to get your child off one. In my opinion this school is all about scoring and funding and have no room for empathy or nurturing. I was appalled by our treatment once I figured out what really went on . I do take some responsibility, I should have done my homework. Now my child has this on school record for the rest of my childs life. My child wanted to join the Marines and cant now because of the IEP. Be a ver involved parent, fight for them, they sure wont.

Posted June 15, 2013
I attended Muirlands Middle School for 8th grade. The school was nice, kept well and most of the teachers were amazing. I was robbed at the school and school officials did nothing. I was bullied by other students that I did not know and reported this to three different teachers nothing was doing. The bulling never did stop, until a group of the bused in kids had some words with the bullies and the bullying stopped. I was rejected from the 8th grade trip to DC then the school turned around and asked me to donate money so other students could go. ( I still have the reject letter and the donation request letter). I had a terrible time making friends, because the cliques were so tight knit. La Jolla High was just as bad for me as well. I left after the 9th grade.

Posted February 26, 2013
I feel the biggest problem with this school is discrimination for kids that are sick. They have many double standards when it comes to dealing with sick children. They were very upset with me for sending my sick child to school, yet when I kept her home from school, they punished her by making her do extra laps in her gym class and yelling at her for missing school. When she returned to school after having the flu, no one was concernced about her health; instead they gave her the cold shoulder and made her feel very badly about missing school.

Posted January 23, 2013
A lot of bullys and I am ashamed to say not from the bused in kids but the locals. When the school gets out it is dreadful, children mill around the area with no consideration for homes and lawns. My child attended for 3 years and the teachers were fine but the issue falls on the students and their parents. If I had to do it again I would have not been so cheap and went private.

Muirlands Middle School
1056 Nautilus Street, La Jolla, CA  92037
Last modified Muirlands Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Muirlands Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 62 reviews. Top