La Mesa, CA
Before care: Yes

Mt. Helix Academy 2

Posted October 13, 2014
We LOVED this school in elementary. It was excellent, with excellent teachers. They worked with our special needs son, and he learned and loved it, despite difficulties. Then came middle school. Totally different. No support, no accommodations, no walls between classes (seriously. Six classes in two rooms with no walls. Our ADHD kid could not survive.) Still in tears over leaving, but it had to be...please consider seriously before putting your student in middle school here.

Posted September 19, 2014
The academics are the best because group sizes for math, spelling and reading are so small. My child is working way ahead of grade level and she loves it! The teachers are really nice and positive and you can tell they love the kids. It wasn't like that at our old school. We love MHA!

Posted September 10, 2013
We brought our kids to this school for the academics and the small class sizes and great student/teacher ratios - Our first child had 3 Kindergarten teachers here! Not only have our kids flown sky-high academically and have loved every minute of it, we have also been pleasantly surprised about the incredible feeling of family that exists at MHA among teachers, staff, parents and students. It's unusual in this day and age to find so many people who genuinely care about each other. If I were a parent thinking about visiting MHA I would come at about 7:45 to watch the morning drop-off and see what I am talking about.

Posted September 12, 2012
MHA is an amazing school! My son advanced 3 grade levels in his academics in one year. We have just started our second year there. The academics are challenging and kids learn in small groups at their own pace. The school rewards good behavior and teaches the kids the importance of respect and good character. The art teacher and music teacher are fantastic. My son has social skill delays and the teachers and staff have been wonderful in helping him. The entire school is small enough that it is like a family--everyone works together to help the kids learn and excel--in all aspects! I am amazed at how well my son is doing--both academically and socially. This is truly an outstanding school!

Posted August 24, 2012
My twin boys have been attending MHA from Kindergarten to now. This year they will be attending 6th grade. My children often amaze not only me but other family members with their knowledge of math, social studies, history, art, and just anything in general we may discuss. They are so smart and I am so lucky to have such great kids who learn many skills at MHA including social skills. They know how to settle issues with peers by talking and thinking things out before acting. I am amazed with my children. I thank MHA for the scientific methods that they use! Paying for their education is not always easy but my kids are worth every penny and I'm thankful to have found a great school that makes me feel comfortable about spending money for tuition.

Posted July 17, 2012
MHA is perhaps THE best education value/investment in San Diego County. My daughter attended beginning in 5th grade. Prior to that she was at a Montessori school. She just graduated from the 8th grade and was accepted into the top high schools in San Diego. While the Montessori education was great through pre-school and kindergarten, knowing what I know now, I would definitely have considered starting her much earlier at MHA. The teachers are outstanding and provide the attention that each child needs to excel. The elementary school has a process-oriented approach to teaching that makes it easy for children to learn. The school also nurtures creativity. The art program is especially outstanding with a wonderful wonderful art teacher- check out the masterpieces as you walk through the school. Music is also available as well as a fabulous theatre program. Good behavior is constantly rewarded and children are taught to be respectful to the teachers and each other. There is no such thing as bullying at this school. The administration is always available to listen to support the kids and always has the best interest of the individual student at heart.

Posted March 30, 2012
Invaluable investment. As a former public school teacher, I can tell you that MHA s research-based methods result in astonishingly rapid achievement and eliminate teaching to the lowest level. MHA believes that children have an unlimited capacity for learning. Students reach high academic expectations yet do not feel pressured. My children don t realize how much they are learning because they have so much fun doing it in MHA s energized and nurturing environment. Teachers truly care about students and are clearly happy to be there. The curriculum includes teaching how to be good friends and respectful citizens. Problem solving, communication and responsibility are taught in both formal and informal lessons and are integrated into daily culture. In addition, daily P.E. and weekly music and art courses taught by professionals help our children stay healthy and inspired. We also appreciate the strong social network parents are friendly, helpful and engaged. Final thought: Don t judge this book by its cover. The warm atmosphere inside is remarkable, the classrooms are equipped with the latest technology, and it s amazing to watch the students in action. Be sure to schedule a tour!

Posted March 30, 2012
Invaluable investment. As a former public school teacher, I can tell you that MHA's research-based methods result in astonishingly rapid achievement and eliminate teaching to the lowest level. MHA believes that children have an unlimited capacity for learning. Students reach high academic expectations yet do not feel pressured. My children don't realize how much they are learning because they have so much fun doing it in MHA's energized and nurturing environment. Teachers truly care about students and are clearly happy to be there. The curriculum includes teaching how to be good friends and respectful citizens. Problem solving, communication and responsibility are taught in both formal and informal lessons and are integrated into daily culture. In addition, daily P.E. and weekly music and art courses taught by professionals help our children stay healthy and inspired. We also appreciate the strong social network parents are friendly, helpful and engaged. Final thought: Don't judge this book by its cover. The warm atmosphere inside is remarkable, the classrooms are equipped with the latest technology, and it's amazing to watch the students in action. Be sure to schedule a tour!

Posted January 26, 2012
Highly Academic, Dedicated Teachers, Amazing School!! Our child has been going to Mt. Helix Academy since Kindergarten and is now in 2nd grade. Living in Chula Vista and working in Del Mar, we researched all the schools throughout San Diego County for the best school. We are grateful to have found this academy! As working parents, we are very fortunate that our son goes this safe and caring school. We are also impressed with the dedicated and passionate teachers who have worked with us to provide our son with a highly challenging academic environment. The small groups and ability to move up and down the grades for core subject areas allows our son to go as far as he can go academically, yet still be with his age group/peers throughout the day. Most of all, the teachers and professional staff create a fun and positive environment, inspiring the kids to want to learn more! We are blessed to have our son attend this academy and highly recommend this school!!

Posted January 25, 2012
My husband and I went to 'many' schools all over San Diego to see what the best fit was going to be for our daughter. Although we don't have a lot of money, we still went to tour/visit the most expensive privates schools, many Catholic schools, and Charter and public schools. We did this so as to have comparisons of what each school and setting could offer to our child. Some of the main reasons why we picked Mt. Helix Academy: 1. THEY CATER TO YOUR CHILD'S ABILITIES: For every main subject (Reading, Math, Spelling), the children are put into groups of 7-8 kids that match up to their abilities. 2. WHATEVER LEVEL YOUR CHILD IS IN FOR THE CORE ACADEMICS, HE/SHE WILL RETURN FOR THE REST OF THE SCHOOL DAY TO HIS/HER GRADE LEVEL 3. TEACHER TO STUDENT RATIO 4. QUALITY OF TEACHERS and their LOVE for education! Just a wonderful staff all around! 5. KIDS ARE TAUGHT TO RESPECT EVERYONE and it is apparent at every turn you take at Mt. Helix. 6. MT. HELIX ACADEMY HAS A GREAT MIX OF STUDENTS AND OFFERS SCHOLARSHIPS SO THAT ANY STUDENT HAS THE OPPORTUNITY TO GET SUCH AN AMAZING EDUCATION! You will not go wrong if you choose Mt. Helix Academy!

Mt. Helix Academy