Learning Choice Academy

Charter | K-12 | 1000 students

Personalized Learning

Living in La Mesa

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $364,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,330.

Posted June 12, 2014

We have been with TLC for three years now after two horrible years in public school where my son was painted as a trouble maker and problem child because of his learning disabilities. I begged them for an IEP and was denied repeatedly. We came to TLC and within 2 weeks we had an IEP and regular OT scheduled. We were able to hand pick our children curriculum to fit their needs and now he's excelling beyond his grade level. We love the staff and find the monthly meetings to be a big help.

Posted May 21, 2014

My children's school is amazing. They have the best teachers, counselors,classes, staff, and field trips. They get such personalized care and attention. Such a perfect experience.

Posted April 24, 2014

This school is excellent for those wanting and able to home-school with full support of staff and reasonable and reliable options in curricula. There is comfort in knowing that an EP (Educational Partner) is available to review and help lesson plan the curricula to meet the needs of your student and in keeping with the "curricula norm" of a traditional grade-content. The field trips are relaxed, varied and enjoyable. The provision of "Enrichment Classes" is a super-bonus in the provision of creative and problem-solving tasks with other students. The staff are friendly, have creative energy and encouraging to all. I have rated this school 4 out of 5 because it has only been our 1st year in attendance...and their is always room for improvement... either from my observations and/or the school. Leadership fully rated because without leadership we wouldn't be in attendance nor planning to attend the coming school year(s). What I appreciate most is the leadership's attentiveness to inquiries, explanations (i.e. Test Readiness, Event Planning, etc), prompt responses and professionalism in decorum...which is exhibited and supported by the administrative assistant staff.

Posted April 7, 2014

I love how TLC Academy supports my students' learning no matter what their learning styles. The students participating in the on-site classes are all so friendly and supportive of each other. There are so many opportunities for socialization between the classes and other amazing field trips and family nights that the school organizes. We love our Educational Partners at the Scripps Ranch site.

Posted April 29, 2012

We have loved it, absolutely loved it! Our experience has been great since we started in October at their La Mesa location. Staff is wonderful. Great choice of Curriculum. My son needs lots of repetition and they have curriculum thats just right at his speed yet challenges him and he's learning the same as at any school. Yes homeschooling can be challenging for parents, but the reward is so much better than I would find at any top public school in our district. Parents are our childrens formeost advocates for their success. Whether your child is advanced or needs a little help because of learning disabilities, homeschooling can offer such a great reward. The staff at La Mesa are sweet and caring. I should have done this a long time ago. I gave parent involvement 5 stars, how much more can a parent be involved if not to be their primary role model and teacher for their kids. If my son later decides he wants to go back to a regular classroom setting, the optional 2 day classes would be an excellent transition. For now though we are happy with doing just the homeschooling "at home, at the park, at the beach, at the library, at the museum, etc...".

Posted March 10, 2012

It's possible that your experience may vary depending on location (they have different sites). We love the Scripps Ranch site. You have the option to just order curriculum (free) and not have your child attend the day classes. You are handed a packet with a great selection of curriculum options, and they order it for you. It does take some time for reimbursement to come in for programs like gymnastics. The optional day classes have been great (you can select either the 1 or 2 day program). The children are kind and supportive to each other. If you have an IEP, they will implement it. So for example, if your IEP calls for OT and ST, you will be offered free therapy with contracted therapists. Awesome school.

Posted December 6, 2011

Absolutely wonderful school! Amazing, friendly, knowledgeable, supportive, staff. Customized education. Great field trips. My son (9th grade) really enjoys the full day classes, and he tells me all the time how much he loves his school. We will be relocating out of state soon, and I pray that we find a school this wonderful. We will miss TLC and all the staff dearly.

Posted November 22, 2011

Best school. You get to customize your child's education. You can work on your child's weaknesses as well their strength. Teachers are willing to accommodate your child's needs. You have a choice 2 or 1 day school and do the rest at home. I like to keep my son home few days a week and be his teacher and few days for the other to teach him. I believe parents should be a part of educating their children academically.

Posted September 6, 2011

TLC IS A WONDERFUL SCHOOL. THE STAFF IS GREAT AND FRIENDLY. ITS NICE TO GO IN AND EVERYONE KNOWS WHO WE ARE. THE FULL DAY CLASSES ARE AWESOME. MY DAUGHTER LIVES FOR HER CLASSES. I ALSO ENJOY THE FREEDOM TO CHOOSE DIFFFERENT CURRICULIUM. IF I DONT LIKE ONE PROGRAM AND CAN CHANGE TO ANOTHER ONE THAT WORKS FOR US. THE FEILD TRIPS AND ASSEMBLIES ARE ALSO GREEAT FUN AND EDUCATIONAL. I RECOMEND THIS SCHOOL TO EVERYONE.

Posted July 19, 2011

My son & I have thoroughly enjoyed TLC. Miss Roxanna has been our EP for the past 2 years & she has been very helpful, so has all of the staff! The variety of field trips are awesome, there's never a moment for your child to feel deprived of fun! There is definitely help with all of the different kinds of learning styles, you can choose what's best for your child. The once a week, full day program has been so fun for my son, and we'll be starting the AIM program (2 full days) in the fall. We love TLC and will continue with this school until my son graduates! :)

Posted May 19, 2011

I have had nothing but great service with TLC. The staff is friendly, knowledgable, and very helpful with advice in helping support my child. I look forward to my monthly meeting to share what wonderful and exciting things my children have done and learned. My children enjoy going to see their educational partner too. Great choice of curriculum both in books and on-line and are always adding new curriculum yearly that is helpful to the homeschool world. Great field trips and great quality of activites.

Posted May 18, 2011

Great school, I have been homeschooling for many years and have partnering with TLC for a few years now. The support is great and the choice of curriculum is wonderful. They have great field trips and assemblies for your children too. I love the quality of the classes given on site and they many choice as well. I find all the staff very helpful and easy to work with. Thank you TLC for being there.

Posted March 15, 2011

An underdeveloped, inconsistent, inadequate, resource-starved school program. If you are searching for a positive educational experience for your student, look elsewhere.

Posted March 4, 2011

Limited resources available for both parent and student. Staff inconsistent and lacks communication skills. Limited opportunity for student advancement. They make no effort to tailor to individual needs. Monthly meetings required and are a complete waste of time. Nothing but busy work. Program lacks consistency. They pay for outside activities, but the parent must front the funds and then wait a ridiculous amount of time to get them back. They are understaffed and overwhelmed, so don't be surprised when you feel left in the cold.

Posted March 3, 2011

This Charter School fell extremely short of my expectations. Communication was poor, curriculum was not provided in a timely manner, staff unseasoned. Reconsider your choice carefully, as this is not a good one.

Posted March 3, 2011

Substandard education to say the least. Promises made and broken very quickly. This charter school fell extremely short of my expectations. Reconsider before you consider this charter. Vast improvements needed here.

Posted December 3, 2010

The Pro's: The staff is very friendly, and it's extremely appealing that it's FREE. Here are my Con's: They do not have a central location, and they do require monthly meetings (Which I found to be more of an inconvenience then a help) and there is NO real grading system. No accountability. When it was time for me to teach... I was given these books.. and though we went through them, we were just doing the work instead of LEARNING the work. We would meet with our EP that would look at a couple of sheets of work, and based their grades on THAT. No tests, no improvements. I felt like a whole year was wasted. (And yes they pay $ towards activities but it's a real inconvenience to get it back.) Here I am today with my kids enrolled into a different school that requires them to take it one step at a time, independently, where they have real tests (Which I have an actual report card where I document grade scores, unlike TLC) and we are no longer just doing the work and getting an easy A. My kids are EARNING and LEARNING and working hard for that A, and are proud to say they deserve it.

Posted September 10, 2009

Today my son graduated from TLC Academy. It was the most beautiful, precious and touching graduation I have ever attended. And that is not just becuase it was my child! TLC Academy takes an interest in every student - from my personal Partner (credentialed teacher) to every single person - including the principal! I would recommend it to any parent who wants to have personal help and relationships while they homeschool!

Posted June 28, 2009

(2012)

3 / 10

5 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

3 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

5 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

61 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

61 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

54 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

51 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

63 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

23 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

44 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

39 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

14 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

67 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

23 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

19 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

28 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

34 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

22 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

25 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

14 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

32 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

24 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

All Students58%

Parent education - high school graduate7%
Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)12%
Parent education - college graduate17%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

75 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

72 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students79%

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 3%N/AN/A
Source: CRDC, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
ELL/ESL Coordinator
Math specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Math specialist(s)

College preparation / awareness resources offered
  • College prep programs/courses during the year
  • Community college courses

• Debi Gooding
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (619) 463-0052

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Hybrid
  • Individually guided instruction
  • Internships
  • Project-based
  • STEM
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
Extra learning resources offered
  • Counseling
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
  • Tutoring

• Rock band
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Community service
  • Yearbook

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis