Public charter
La Mesa, CA
Students enrolled: 1,000
After care: No

Posted June 12, 2014
We have been with TLC for three years now after two horrible years in public school where my son was painted as a trouble maker and problem child because of his learning disabilities. I begged them for an IEP and was denied repeatedly. We came to TLC and within 2 weeks we had an IEP and regular OT scheduled. We were able to hand pick our children curriculum to fit their needs and now he's excelling beyond his grade level. We love the staff and find the monthly meetings to be a big help.

Posted May 21, 2014
My children's school is amazing. They have the best teachers, counselors,classes, staff, and field trips. They get such personalized care and attention. Such a perfect experience.

Learning Choice Academy 4

Posted April 24, 2014
This school is excellent for those wanting and able to home-school with full support of staff and reasonable and reliable options in curricula. There is comfort in knowing that an EP (Educational Partner) is available to review and help lesson plan the curricula to meet the needs of your student and in keeping with the "curricula norm" of a traditional grade-content. The field trips are relaxed, varied and enjoyable. The provision of "Enrichment Classes" is a super-bonus in the provision of creative and problem-solving tasks with other students. The staff are friendly, have creative energy and encouraging to all. I have rated this school 4 out of 5 because it has only been our 1st year in attendance...and their is always room for improvement... either from my observations and/or the school. Leadership fully rated because without leadership we wouldn't be in attendance nor planning to attend the coming school year(s). What I appreciate most is the leadership's attentiveness to inquiries, explanations (i.e. Test Readiness, Event Planning, etc), prompt responses and professionalism in decorum...which is exhibited and supported by the administrative assistant staff.

Posted April 07, 2014
I love how TLC Academy supports my students' learning no matter what their learning styles. The students participating in the on-site classes are all so friendly and supportive of each other. There are so many opportunities for socialization between the classes and other amazing field trips and family nights that the school organizes. We love our Educational Partners at the Scripps Ranch site.

Posted April 29, 2012
We have loved it, absolutely loved it! Our experience has been great since we started in October at their La Mesa location. Staff is wonderful. Great choice of Curriculum. My son needs lots of repetition and they have curriculum thats just right at his speed yet challenges him and he's learning the same as at any school. Yes homeschooling can be challenging for parents, but the reward is so much better than I would find at any top public school in our district. Parents are our childrens formeost advocates for their success. Whether your child is advanced or needs a little help because of learning disabilities, homeschooling can offer such a great reward. The staff at La Mesa are sweet and caring. I should have done this a long time ago. I gave parent involvement 5 stars, how much more can a parent be involved if not to be their primary role model and teacher for their kids. If my son later decides he wants to go back to a regular classroom setting, the optional 2 day classes would be an excellent transition. For now though we are happy with doing just the homeschooling "at home, at the park, at the beach, at the library, at the museum, etc...".

Posted March 10, 2012
It's possible that your experience may vary depending on location (they have different sites). We love the Scripps Ranch site. You have the option to just order curriculum (free) and not have your child attend the day classes. You are handed a packet with a great selection of curriculum options, and they order it for you. It does take some time for reimbursement to come in for programs like gymnastics. The optional day classes have been great (you can select either the 1 or 2 day program). The children are kind and supportive to each other. If you have an IEP, they will implement it. So for example, if your IEP calls for OT and ST, you will be offered free therapy with contracted therapists. Awesome school.

Posted December 06, 2011
Absolutely wonderful school! Amazing, friendly, knowledgeable, supportive, staff. Customized education. Great field trips. My son (9th grade) really enjoys the full day classes, and he tells me all the time how much he loves his school. We will be relocating out of state soon, and I pray that we find a school this wonderful. We will miss TLC and all the staff dearly.

Learning Choice Academy 4

Posted November 22, 2011
Best school. You get to customize your child's education. You can work on your child's weaknesses as well their strength. Teachers are willing to accommodate your child's needs. You have a choice 2 or 1 day school and do the rest at home. I like to keep my son home few days a week and be his teacher and few days for the other to teach him. I believe parents should be a part of educating their children academically.

Posted September 06, 2011
TLC IS A WONDERFUL SCHOOL. THE STAFF IS GREAT AND FRIENDLY. ITS NICE TO GO IN AND EVERYONE KNOWS WHO WE ARE. THE FULL DAY CLASSES ARE AWESOME. MY DAUGHTER LIVES FOR HER CLASSES. I ALSO ENJOY THE FREEDOM TO CHOOSE DIFFFERENT CURRICULIUM. IF I DONT LIKE ONE PROGRAM AND CAN CHANGE TO ANOTHER ONE THAT WORKS FOR US. THE FEILD TRIPS AND ASSEMBLIES ARE ALSO GREEAT FUN AND EDUCATIONAL. I RECOMEND THIS SCHOOL TO EVERYONE.

Posted July 19, 2011
My son & I have thoroughly enjoyed TLC. Miss Roxanna has been our EP for the past 2 years & she has been very helpful, so has all of the staff! The variety of field trips are awesome, there's never a moment for your child to feel deprived of fun! There is definitely help with all of the different kinds of learning styles, you can choose what's best for your child. The once a week, full day program has been so fun for my son, and we'll be starting the AIM program (2 full days) in the fall. We love TLC and will continue with this school until my son graduates! :)

Learning Choice Academy
4215 Spring Street, La Mesa, CA  91941
Last modified Learning Choice Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Learning Choice Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 32 reviews. Top