College Preparatory Middle School

Charter | 5-8 & ungraded | 240 students

Rigorous academic, college prep program

Living in La Mesa

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $265,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,270.

School Official Point of View

Posted February 27, 2014

College Prep Middle School (CPMS) is a small public charter school serving grades 5-8 located in La Mesa, CA. CPMS offers a rigorous academic college prep program with an emphasis on literacy. CPMS earned an impressive 941 API on the 2012-13 California Standardized Tests (CST/STAR) and, according to the most recent California Title Company report, CPMS is listed as the 3rd highest ranking middle school in San Diego County. These achievements are a true testament to all of the hard work by our students, teachers and families. We believe that this partnership is the key to our success and the foundation of our "nurturing community for the middle school learner." As a school of choice, we encourage prospective families to visit our website (www.MyCPMS.net) and blog (Tiger's Tale) to learn more about our program and to see all the wonderful things happening at CPMS in order to ensure that this school is the best fit for your family. (Please note that the CPMS is not affiliated with the GreatSchools website and does not monitor nor maintain the website or its content). Please direct any questions or concerns to CPMS: 619-303-2782. And as we say each and every day at CPMS: Take care of yourselves, each other and this place. Go Tigers!!!

Posted August 26, 2014

My family is looking forward to another great year at College Prep! My child has grown so much since starting here thanks to such wonderful teachers. My youngest can't wait to become a Tiger next year. We are proud to call ourselves a Tiger Family!

Posted August 26, 2014

After spending almost two years at this school I'm glad to be out. I have never been so stressed out. Test scores mean nothing when you feel like you're going to prison every morning and feel like that is all that's important to the school. I'm glad to be at a school where I feel like they care about me and where they don't hand out lunch detentions for sneezing too loud. Your kid will hate it. I know I did.

Posted August 25, 2014

I am a happy student to leave this school. This school is not a nurturing environment it made me feel like I was in prison. What ever you do don't send your child to this school!

Posted June 27, 2014

Thank you, thank you, thank you CPMS! We couldnt have done it without all of your support. My child is so prepared for the next big step to High School because of College Prep. This is the closest you can get to a private school experience in a public school setting. We will miss all of the teachers, directors and staff! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Posted May 12, 2014

If your child outgoing and excels in a regular school setting this is not the place for your child. 1. Expect detention several times throughout the school year for many different reasons. 2. Expect lots of homework on average two hours on average per night. I m alright with homework, but not two hours or more every night. I have not cancelled extra-curricular activities for my child, but some of the friends from the school have stopped playing sports amongst other things due to the homework. 3. Absences (for any reason) require the student to makeup all classwork & homework for days missed. Make up tests take place during lunch time. 4. Small classroom sizes 20 students to 1 teacher, but remember students rotate each period to a new teacher. Really teachers are accountable for 60 students, not 20. 5. Teacher/Parent Conferences happen only if your child is falling behind? Teachers do respond well to emails. 6. Missing Physical Activity. Not daily for 5th grade and students only have recess combined with their lunch period. 7. Location & Facilities. Students attend class in a remodeled basement. The PE/Recess area is a blocked off parking lot.

Posted May 9, 2014

This school might be a little strict but that is what it takes to bring the best out of your kid. They need to be pushed and know that hard work pays off. I recommend this school. Small schools are better plus uniforms can't go wrong.

Posted May 9, 2014

All I can say is thank goodness my child's time at CPMS is almost over. It's been a horrible few years. I would never recommend this school to other families. I have a younger child and he will be going to a different charter.

Posted February 28, 2014

I can't say enough great things about CPMS! With small class size, truly caring teacher and wonderful children and families, it is the perfect school for our family. It offers challenging schoolwork to prepare my child for high school and is already talking about college! I am so happy that my other child will be going there too. Please visit the school and meet the incredible staff to see what a great school it is. My child was bullied in the other school and CPMS does such a great job of taking care of all the students. I recommend CPMS to families looking for a quality education and a safe school for children to learn!

Posted February 28, 2014

I have never had a school know my child so well. The teachers and directors really care about my daughter. They really support her, building on her strengths and supporting her challenges. Everyone is there to help. I recommend CPMS to every family looking for something better. We are proud to call ourselves a Tiger Family!

Posted February 26, 2014

We love CPMS. The directors and teachers are very supportive and kind. They really care about the kids and are always there to help. We feel so lucky to have found this school. A true blessing!

Posted February 21, 2014

Very unhappy with CPMS. I would not recommend this school for several reasons. The amount of homework is out of control and way beyond reasonable, often 3 hours per night including weekends and during school vacations and holidays. Forget trying to get away as a family during the school year. Some subjects are not being adequately taught, so we are having to teach the material ourselves at home. We are practically home-schooling our student in some instances. My student has had to drop other activities in order to keep up with the homework and maintain a 4.0. This school does not encourage students to be well-rounded but rather the only goal is to keep the high API score. Test scores are important, however when you turn the students into robots without any guidance for growth outside of test scores, something is wrong. Our family life has been severely impacted this year and my student's ambition and desire to go to college has been horribly damaged. We brought our concerns to the administration, but nothing has changed. I advise that you contact parents of current students for their assessment before you enroll your student.

Posted February 20, 2014

The administration is terribly misguided.They are not bad people, they just seem more interested in total control than fostering a love of learning.The majority of the teachers at CPMS are good to great but rarely seen.Teacher turnover rate is high.Stress is constant and our family is dominated by homework struggles and anxiety.My child s mental health is much more important to me than college preparedness and there is so much more to preparing for college than endless homework.Every move is governed and controlled, and the fear of getting in trouble consumes a lot of the students. There is a huge opportunity being lost in this small setting to educate the students about personal responsibility and decision making by communicating rather than punishing.It is a very punitive environment,not nurturing.My child is one of many students not returning next year.I would advise the administration to ask for input from the students and parents on what changes they would suggest to improve morale.My review rambled, but in a nutshell, if your child is a robot, this school would be a good fit.If they have a mind of their own or are a free spirit, this environment would be detrimental.

Posted January 28, 2014

College Preparatory Middle School is AWESOME. I have been involved since its inception. Leaders, teachers, staff, parents and students are learning and achieving in a caring, nurturing environment. An API Score of 941 is proof positive that CPMS is doing something right!!

Posted January 27, 2014

While schools across the Nation are searching to find new and innovative ways to help our students learn and achieve, the faculty of CPMS are already putting innovation into action daily! CPMS is a school where students and their families make a commitment to partner with teachers and administrators in order to foster high goals and achievements - all within a compassionate, safe and nurturing environment. As a school of choice, CPMS offers options and alternatives that just don't exist in other public schools - personal, supportive, academically rigorous and 100% anti-bullying! The approval rate for students and families is somewhere around 98.5% - tough to find such high marks in any school - public, private, charter, magnet, parochial! As a volunteer, I find myself Roaring with Tiger (the school's mascot!) Pride each and every day - simply an incredible place for children to learn, grow and gain the confidence needed to succeed!

Posted January 22, 2014

College Preparatory Middle School is wonderful. It is amazing that this school is a public school offering everything you would hope to find in a private school!! Kids are happy to be here. Teachers are happy to be here. And the Directors pay attention to not only the subjects being taught but also the individual needs of each student in a nurturing environment. So thankful that College Preparatory Middle School is here for my kids.

Posted January 20, 2014

I am beyond dismayed with this school. I pulled my children out of their previous school with the idea that CPMS would be able to give them a challenging yet nurturing environment in which to learn. The directors are not interested in hearing any concerns even when it comes to possible abuse of authority by certain teachers. The directors who also act as principals of the school are on the board of directors? How much of a conflict of interest is that? If you have any issues with them, there is no one to escalate to because they answer to themselves? Mountain Empire claims to have no jurisdiction over them even though they are the ones who granted their charter. The teachers at the school are forced to dole out these inane lunch detentions for reasons like "Forgot to have parent sign homework agenda." My inbox is full of notifications for lunch detentions. If your child is in need of an IEP or 504 plan, forget this school making any accommodations. They are not interested in having you be a part of this school. The focus is on their high API score and nothing else. Humanity does not exist here and their claim to be a "Nurturing Environment" is false.

Posted January 14, 2014

Love the school, teachers and directors!!! Thank you CPMS for making a difference. So happy to be a part of such a great school!!!

Posted November 21, 2013

As a current student of College Preparatory Middle School, I have come to the conclusion that this school is being run poorly. I can not give my name away by writing this. If they had happened to read this and find my name, it would be marked as "disrespectful" and I would get in trouble immediately. Most of, if not all, my piers agree that the principles dishonor the rights of the students attending this school. There have been multiple incidents where teachers have disappeared half way through the school year and left the class with no-good substitutes. Another thing I very much dislike about College Prep, is the rule enforcement. The principles claim this is an environment where, people who are smart and don't fit into the "popular group" can learn. This is not true, coming from an outcast myself. The administrators have pushed the rules to the point where they make students feel alienated and not a part of the "nurturing environment" they state they have. They act fake and sweet to ours parents and convince them that, us, students are delinquents. This school THE OPPOSITE OF PREP! Do NOT send your kid here! Unless they change their ways, your child deserves better.
—Submitted by a student

Posted August 27, 2013

This school is good for children who don't fit into the "norm" of other public schools. I think it will eventually turn into a school of "misfits" who need the extra time and smaller class size. I do believe that small class sizes help boost academic levels. Some of the staff seems to be teachers who can't get jobs elsewhere, and are just happy to be making a minimal salary at a small school. The teachers that are good seem to come and go quickly. Math seems to be the only department that seems to be able to hold on to their quality teachers. The homework is overwhelming, too much for kids in middle school. My student has moved onto High School prepared because of CPMS however, it was a struggle to keep her happy during her time there due to such a strict social setting.

Posted June 25, 2013

My daughter just finished her sixth grade year at College Prep Middle School. It was such a success! She had one incident with a boy that was starting to harass her and a friend. We went directly to Mr. Mitch, an administrator, with it. He immediately responded, meet with the boy and the boy stopped. Mr. Mitch checked up on the girls to make sure things were better. I like that the kids wear uniforms and that the class size is a 20:1 ratio. They also offer an hour long after school tutorial Monday-Thursday. The staff works so hard. Ms. Soccoro in the front office is wonderful with the kids-kind but also helps them develop into responsible citizens. I love this school and will definitely be sending my son there when he starts fifth grade.

This school's

+17

API Statewide Rank
(2012)

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

10 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

55 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

54 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 86% in 2013.

21 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

37 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 50% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 57% in 2013.

n/a
General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 85% in 2013.

History - Social Science Grade 8 Cumulative

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

All Students87%

Fluent-English proficient and English only84%
Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)92%
Parent education - college graduate84%
Parent education - declined to staten/a

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Studentsn/a

First-year teachers 11%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 3:45 a.m.
  • Mitchell S. Miller
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (619) 303-3759

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• College prep
  • Standards-based
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Mathematics
  • Science
  • Writing
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Foreign languages taught
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

Staff resources available to students
  • None
Foreign languages spoken by staff
Extra learning resources offered

Performing arts
  • Drama
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Chess club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Volunteer in the classroom