School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

College Prep Middle School (CPMS) is a small public charter school serving grades 5-8 located in La Mesa, CA. CPMS offers a rigorous academic college prep program with an emphasis on literacy. CPMS earned an impressive 941 API on the 2012-13 California Standardized Tests (CST/STAR) and, according to the most recent California Title Company report, CPMS is listed as the 3rd highest ranking middle school in San Diego County. These achievements are a true testament to all of the hard work by our students, teachers and families. We believe that this partnership is the key to our success and the foundation of our "nurturing community for the middle school learner." As a school of choice, we encourage prospective families to visit our website (www.MyCPMS.net) and blog (Tiger's Tale) to learn more about our program and to see all the wonderful things happening at CPMS in order to ensure that this school is the best fit for your family. (Please note that the CPMS is not affiliated with the GreatSchools website and does not monitor nor maintain the website or its content). Please direct any questions or concerns to CPMS: 619-303-2782. And as we say each and every day at CPMS: Take care of yourselves, each other and this place. Go Tigers!!!
February 27, 2014

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)

Posted September 29, 2015
Our son came to CPMS for 7th and now 8th grade. Before coming to CPMS, our son did well in school, but he didn't seem to be challenged enough. I was told, "Look out because it may be too much for him. There is way too much homework and he will probably have horrible grades the first 6 months. Then he should be getting use to things and bringing them up again." This made me a little nervous, but onward we went! So, by the time 7th grade ended, our son had made "honor roll" with "grade point average of 3.5 or greater" three out of 4 quarters of the year. He finished the final quarter of the school year with honor roll and GPA of 3.83, which was his highest so far! We are so proud of him. We always have been. The thing is, we've never seen our son so happy, challenged, and he is just thriving in every way! He enjoys going to school everyday, he loves it there. He also does fine with homework. Yes, it's tough, but come on, it's school and there will be homework. The bottom line is this: CPMS is a blessing to our family! We truly feel as if our son is preparing for bigger and better things. He is being prepped to become successful in life. They do their job at school and we as his parents do our job at home. Working together is what gives our children the best start in life. :)

Posted May 16, 2015
Just from day 1, I felt that this school was going to be GREAT and I was right!! My daughter started in 2012 with low grades and now AAAAA's. She is so excited and eager to learn more and that's all she talks about is school, I am so impressed!!

Posted August 26, 2014
My family is looking forward to another great year at College Prep! My child has grown so much since starting here thanks to such wonderful teachers. My youngest can't wait to become a Tiger next year. We are proud to call ourselves a Tiger Family!

Posted August 26, 2014
After spending almost two years at this school I'm glad to be out. I have never been so stressed out. Test scores mean nothing when you feel like you're going to prison every morning and feel like that is all that's important to the school. I'm glad to be at a school where I feel like they care about me and where they don't hand out lunch detentions for sneezing too loud. Your kid will hate it. I know I did.

Posted August 25, 2014
I am a happy student to leave this school. This school is not a nurturing environment it made me feel like I was in prison. What ever you do don't send your child to this school!

Posted June 27, 2014
Thank you, thank you, thank you CPMS! We couldnt have done it without all of your support. My child is so prepared for the next big step to High School because of College Prep. This is the closest you can get to a private school experience in a public school setting. We will miss all of the teachers, directors and staff! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

College Preparatory Middle School 2

Posted May 12, 2014
If your child outgoing and excels in a regular school setting this is not the place for your child. 1. Expect detention several times throughout the school year for many different reasons. 2. Expect lots of homework on average two hours on average per night. I m alright with homework, but not two hours or more every night. I have not cancelled extra-curricular activities for my child, but some of the friends from the school have stopped playing sports amongst other things due to the homework. 3. Absences (for any reason) require the student to makeup all classwork & homework for days missed. Make up tests take place during lunch time. 4. Small classroom sizes 20 students to 1 teacher, but remember students rotate each period to a new teacher. Really teachers are accountable for 60 students, not 20. 5. Teacher/Parent Conferences happen only if your child is falling behind? Teachers do respond well to emails. 6. Missing Physical Activity. Not daily for 5th grade and students only have recess combined with their lunch period. 7. Location & Facilities. Students attend class in a remodeled basement. The PE/Recess area is a blocked off parking lot.

Posted May 09, 2014
This school might be a little strict but that is what it takes to bring the best out of your kid. They need to be pushed and know that hard work pays off. I recommend this school. Small schools are better plus uniforms can't go wrong.

Posted May 09, 2014
All I can say is thank goodness my child's time at CPMS is almost over. It's been a horrible few years. I would never recommend this school to other families. I have a younger child and he will be going to a different charter.

Posted February 28, 2014
I can't say enough great things about CPMS! With small class size, truly caring teacher and wonderful children and families, it is the perfect school for our family. It offers challenging schoolwork to prepare my child for high school and is already talking about college! I am so happy that my other child will be going there too. Please visit the school and meet the incredible staff to see what a great school it is. My child was bullied in the other school and CPMS does such a great job of taking care of all the students. I recommend CPMS to families looking for a quality education and a safe school for children to learn!

College Preparatory Middle School
5150 Jackson Drive, La Mesa, CA  91942
Last modified College Preparatory Middle School is a Charter school that serves grades 5-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
College Preparatory Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 34 reviews. Top