La Mesa, CA
Students enrolled: 2,602

Grossmont High School
Develops honesty: Agree

Posted August 31, 2015
Honesty, integrity, and fairness are traits you're going to learn (or not) at home. The school can only try to reinforce these characteristics through classroom/campus "rules and conduct expectations"

Posted August 31, 2015
For the years 2010 through 2015, our 2 daughters attended Grossmont High School. Their experience as students, and ours as parents was exceptional. There were plenty of rigorous Honors and AP courses. In fact, our oldest AP tested out of 4 GE college courses. That's like $$ in the bank! We found the faculty (teachers & counselors) to be dedicated, knowledgeable, and accessible. Both of our kids received regular information on colleges and scholarships, beginning in their junior years. The web portal allowed to see their grades and progress, with most of their teachers posting grades in a timely manner. There were plenty of clubs, sports, and other activities to make for a well-rounded student. ASB, Track/Cross Country and Softball were all positive experiences. Is there diversity at Grossmont? Absolutely! Is there diversity in the world after High School? Are there gangs or drugs at Grossmont? Never saw evidence of either at any games or other school functions, though I'm not naïve enough to say they don't exist. Bottom line,... COMMUNICATION is the key, both with your child/student and the school. Know what's going on with your kid, their friends, and their school. Lastly, both daughters are attending the colleges of their choice, and as of this posting, succeeding quite well. :)

Posted August 09, 2015
I'm a former student of Grossmont. I was a straight A student here. This school in no way prepared me for college. I don't know how to apply for scholarships and I only have a slight idea on how to apply to a university. I had to just figure it out for myself and use google to teach me. If you want your child to succeed send them to a school like High Tech High. Out of my average group of friends, I'm the only one still in college. Everyone I know dropped out within the first year. The things I know about my graduating class are way different than what my boyfriend (who graduated from High Tech) knows about his. His classmates are going to Yale and Princeton while some of mine are already in jail and are college drop outs. Although the typical ASB kids are still attending college, the majority of the people I still follow on social media dropped out already. It amazes me how little this school prepares these kids. Not only that but the office staff is down right disrespectful to students and parents. They refuse to even answer their phones. If you care about your child's education, don't send them here.

Posted June 28, 2013
Excellent school... NJROTC Program is stellar... tough love teachers... new facilities... solid standardized test scores... rich school history... rigorous safety & security standards... a solid high school experience, through & through.

Posted March 28, 2013
After we were both educated in private & private parochial schools back East, my wife & I were a bit concerned that our child would be attending public schools here in California, especially with the severe recent education budget cuts. But, like so much in life, we learned you get out of it what you put into it. The GUHS District has greatly upgraded Grossmont's facilities with a New Fully-Outfitted Science Building, Technology Equipment, and a brand New English/Liberal Arts Building coming on line this upcoming Fall. The NJROTC Program is stellar. The teachers care, are proactive, and are fully committed to each student's educational experience and safety. Our child has taken the bull by the horns, is in both AP & Honors classes, and keeps focused on the task at hand and out of trouble. He realizes that a school is only as good as the effort you put into it, and so far., so great! There's a bit of a "ganglike Hispanic clique" that attempts intimidation at times, but if you just let it go, they seem pretty harmless. We like the solid history & tradition at Grossmont and wouldn't switch to any other school around. Thanks to all Grossmont's teachers& staff for a job very well done!

Posted October 26, 2012
Grossmont High School is one of the only schools which has one of the best programs out there for teen aged kids. They have an excelling NJROTC Program which not only allows students learn the military life but it also allows them to be able to get scholarships and simply looking at the reviews it saddens me that its the parents giving Grossmont bad reviews, and what saddens me even more its that it's about one or two incidents that have caused them to say bad things about the school. Meanwhile, students give outstanding reviews and they are the people going to school, not the parents. In all honesty if you are not going to say something nice about the school because you are a parent and its about how your child is not doing so great in class, it's because he/she doesn't care to work hard enough to pass a class. The classes are fairly simple and they only get complicated if you allow them to slack off in class. This is not a teacher or a parent problem, it is a student problem. All in all, the greatest times I have spent in four years where at this campus, because not only is it a school, but it becomes a home.

Posted January 16, 2012
I have sent all three of my kids to GHS. They have all had some exceptional and stellar teachers, and a few not so stellar ones. That is the nature of any school. They have all loved going there and made good friends, been involved in sports, clubs, and leadership groups. I made the effort to get to know their teachers and the administration there so I could better understand the school and support my kids. My greatest compliments go to the counseling department. Each of my kids' counselors has given them solid guidance and support throughout all four years in planning for their next year, and future college (they keep the same counselor all 4 yrs.). I have been pleased with the upper level honors and AP classes available and each of my kids took several. GHS has delivered what I wanted from high school for my kids - 4 years of good memories and good friends, a diverse population, adult mentoring, and academic preparation for college.

Posted January 15, 2012
Had a horrible experience sending my son to Grossmont. I could not believe all the teen moms bringing their children to school. When I needed to pick my son up for a dr appt, I called for over an hour and could not get anyone to answer. I drove to the school and was ignored in the office till I asked for help. The lady behind the desk chewed me out for not calling before picking him up. When i explained i had called for over an hour and couldnt get a human, she began ranting about budget cuts and that they don't have a secretary. She did not know where my son was and couldn't tell me what class he had. She sent a student to look for him and it was 40min before they located his class. told her then that my son would not be returning next year. Also, the school was so overcrowded that my son couldn't eat lunch because lunch was over before he got to the front of the line.

Posted September 13, 2011
Why is Grossmont on the Great Schools website? It is a terrible school. The academics are poor at best. The class size went up again this year. My son's math class does not have enough desks, so some of the kids are sitting on the floor. You can't complain to the principal because she won't call you back. You just get a counselor who just says, "We're trying to give the best education...." The obnoxious ASB kids rule the school. Basically, no one cares at Grossmont. It's worth it to go to a charter or private school. That's what we are doing. I'm pulling my kid out.

Posted July 26, 2011
Grossmont is an awesome school. I'm in all ap and honors classes and the teachers explain all the curriculum very well. Grossmont was the school chosen by the district to maintain a child care service where studens from all over San Diego can go to help them graduate from high school an plan for their future. There are many clubs and the every sport the district offers, except field hockey. The ASB makes a huge difference in making school fun and including everyone.

Grossmont High School
1100 Murray Drive, La Mesa, CA  91944
Last modified Grossmont High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Grossmont High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 52 reviews. Top