Posted June 28, 2013
Excellent school... NJROTC Program is stellar... tough love teachers... new facilities... solid standardized test scores... rich school history... rigorous safety & security standards... a solid high school experience, through & through.

Posted March 28, 2013
After we were both educated in private & private parochial schools back East, my wife & I were a bit concerned that our child would be attending public schools here in California, especially with the severe recent education budget cuts. But, like so much in life, we learned you get out of it what you put into it. The GUHS District has greatly upgraded Grossmont's facilities with a New Fully-Outfitted Science Building, Technology Equipment, and a brand New English/Liberal Arts Building coming on line this upcoming Fall. The NJROTC Program is stellar. The teachers care, are proactive, and are fully committed to each student's educational experience and safety. Our child has taken the bull by the horns, is in both AP & Honors classes, and keeps focused on the task at hand and out of trouble. He realizes that a school is only as good as the effort you put into it, and so far., so great! There's a bit of a "ganglike Hispanic clique" that attempts intimidation at times, but if you just let it go, they seem pretty harmless. We like the solid history & tradition at Grossmont and wouldn't switch to any other school around. Thanks to all Grossmont's teachers& staff for a job very well done!

Posted October 26, 2012
Grossmont High School is one of the only schools which has one of the best programs out there for teen aged kids. They have an excelling NJROTC Program which not only allows students learn the military life but it also allows them to be able to get scholarships and simply looking at the reviews it saddens me that its the parents giving Grossmont bad reviews, and what saddens me even more its that it's about one or two incidents that have caused them to say bad things about the school. Meanwhile, students give outstanding reviews and they are the people going to school, not the parents. In all honesty if you are not going to say something nice about the school because you are a parent and its about how your child is not doing so great in class, it's because he/she doesn't care to work hard enough to pass a class. The classes are fairly simple and they only get complicated if you allow them to slack off in class. This is not a teacher or a parent problem, it is a student problem. All in all, the greatest times I have spent in four years where at this campus, because not only is it a school, but it becomes a home.

Posted January 16, 2012
I have sent all three of my kids to GHS. They have all had some exceptional and stellar teachers, and a few not so stellar ones. That is the nature of any school. They have all loved going there and made good friends, been involved in sports, clubs, and leadership groups. I made the effort to get to know their teachers and the administration there so I could better understand the school and support my kids. My greatest compliments go to the counseling department. Each of my kids' counselors has given them solid guidance and support throughout all four years in planning for their next year, and future college (they keep the same counselor all 4 yrs.). I have been pleased with the upper level honors and AP classes available and each of my kids took several. GHS has delivered what I wanted from high school for my kids - 4 years of good memories and good friends, a diverse population, adult mentoring, and academic preparation for college.

Posted January 15, 2012
Had a horrible experience sending my son to Grossmont. I could not believe all the teen moms bringing their children to school. When I needed to pick my son up for a dr appt, I called for over an hour and could not get anyone to answer. I drove to the school and was ignored in the office till I asked for help. The lady behind the desk chewed me out for not calling before picking him up. When i explained i had called for over an hour and couldnt get a human, she began ranting about budget cuts and that they don't have a secretary. She did not know where my son was and couldn't tell me what class he had. She sent a student to look for him and it was 40min before they located his class. told her then that my son would not be returning next year. Also, the school was so overcrowded that my son couldn't eat lunch because lunch was over before he got to the front of the line.

Posted September 13, 2011
Why is Grossmont on the Great Schools website? It is a terrible school. The academics are poor at best. The class size went up again this year. My son's math class does not have enough desks, so some of the kids are sitting on the floor. You can't complain to the principal because she won't call you back. You just get a counselor who just says, "We're trying to give the best education...." The obnoxious ASB kids rule the school. Basically, no one cares at Grossmont. It's worth it to go to a charter or private school. That's what we are doing. I'm pulling my kid out.

Posted July 26, 2011
Grossmont is an awesome school. I'm in all ap and honors classes and the teachers explain all the curriculum very well. Grossmont was the school chosen by the district to maintain a child care service where studens from all over San Diego can go to help them graduate from high school an plan for their future. There are many clubs and the every sport the district offers, except field hockey. The ASB makes a huge difference in making school fun and including everyone.

Posted April 28, 2011
This is a terrible school. The academics are mediocre at best, there are gang and drug problems, and the administration turns a blind eye to all these issues. The class sizes keep growing. Grossmont offers only a few AP classes compared to schools in other districts. For example, Grossmont has only 2 AP classes in sophomore year, compared to La Jolla High which offers 8. You can't complain or else the teachers will take it out on your student. (We know this first hand). We had to pull our kids out of the school, both for their safety and their academic future. The administration added a few programs to help Grossmont qualify as a "Distinguished School," and once they got that label, they cut all those programs (ones that helped kids at risk). I don't know why Grossmont would be on a website for "great schools" because it clearly isn't one.

Posted January 31, 2011
Very disappointed in this school. My daughter has had a difficult time since we started there. Too much diversity and innapropriate activity. I feel the staff turns a blind eye to alot of the mischief that goes on in the classrooms.

Posted May 11, 2010

Grossmont High School
1100 Murray Drive, La Mesa, CA  91944
Last modified Grossmont High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Grossmont High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 42 reviews. Top