Posted October 15, 2014
I'm a freshman at HCHS. Helix is a really great school with a wide array of sports, clubs, and other programs to participate in, including music. There are plenty of AP and Honors classes to challenge yourself with and the teachers really push you. The teachers will not treat you like you middle school children, they treat you like growing adults, and the responsibility comes with that too. The school is very diverse and no matter where you go in Helix, you will be bombarded with genuine school spirit, but winning nearly every football game with a shutout 42-0 will do that for you. For me, one of the best things about Helix is the bragging rights. There's no way you could say that our athletics 'suck', our academics are actually pretty amazing and most of the teachers try really hard to make their lessons entertaining. If you're thinking about going to Helix and you have an interest in culture, I'd recommend taking ITSS (Intro To Social Science), HITSS (Honors ITSS), or AP Human Geography. I'm currently in APHG and I love the class. You'll learn about population and migration patterns and why cities and rural areas are the way they are.Anyway, if you do go to Helix, enjoy it!

Posted September 04, 2012
Helix Charter High School, is one of the best schools in the district. I am currently a junior and i feel as though i could go off to UCSD right now and be fully prepared. helix is a charter school so its standards are a lot higher than any other school. unlike other charters, we actually live up to ours and put a lot of effort into what we do. Some of the teachers here are also professors at colleges and in the honors program we are doing college level work. one thing i love about helix is that finances are never an issue because when there is an opportunity, helix gives you that chance in having it, and wont let anything get in the way of your aspirations. People i know from other schools in the district are exposed to many drugs but at helix that is not an option because we have drug testing for sports and a trained dog on campus for those purposes. i feel completely safe here with the narks who secure the campus and keep us on track. Also, Helix football and our sports program is huge, Reggie Bush, Alex Smith, and some up & coming stars Sam Meredith, Darian Hancock and base ball player Jake Reed, come from helix, just to name a few & were ranked 5th in CA for football

Posted July 22, 2012
My child is starting his second year at Helix....I love this school its amazing. There are so may opportunities for kids at this school. My son has done very well at this school. I really enjoyed the meeting with the councelor for his classes she was amazing. She gave him so much information and guidance for his sophomore year. The only problem I have ever had with this school is the attendance clerk...she seems to have an attitude. I try very hard to be kind but she is alot younger than I am and tends to be condesending. Wish she had better customer service skills.

Posted November 10, 2011
I am a sophomore at Helix this year, and so far my experience has been excellent. As a sophomore I am currently enrolled in two honors classes and two AP classes for my first semester. The classes truly challenge me, and on top of two sports a year, Helix teachers and counselors push me to do my very best. The thing that I like most about my school, though, is its tolerance. No matter your race, gender, sexual preference, or ethnicity, Helix High is the most accepting school out there. With clubs such as YBS, GSA, MASA, and MECHA, Helix teaches you to be proud of who you are. Many of my teachers are Helix graduates themselves, and each and every teacher wants you to succeed. Helix Charter High Schoo is an excellent school.

Posted June 08, 2011
Amazing school on many different levels. I have three children. All from brilliant (4.0+) to IEP needs. The teachers are a combination of strength and compassion towards all the students. Always responding to parents in a loving and effective way so that kids succeed. Just awesome.

Helix High School 1

Posted February 12, 2011
This school is ok at best. The school vibe at first is all about "ACADEMICS", but obviously a pitch just to think there kids are getting the best education there. At first the atmosphere feels nice, once two or three weeks go by, you feel like you are in jail. everything seems repetitive. Not a lot of extra curricular activities when I attended. Students tend to just stick with there group of friends. Not really a friendly atmosphere. I noticed that athletics were the main deal in a way over shadows most students. Teachers I had were disrespectful and rude. This coming from a good student. The teachers I had lacked the charisma to teach and true desire to help a student. Only a select few teachers were very caring. Another thing I did not like about the school was the grading system, I felt that the homework grade should of at least been 25 to 30 percent of a grade, tests were way to high of overall percentage. This meant was that if a struggling student that was truly working hard to get a good grade and did not do good on 2 tests then the student would barley pass a class or not even pass at all including doing all homework. I felt this was very unfair. Lunches are another issue

Helix High School 2

Posted May 26, 2010
My daughter has been a Helix student for the last 3 years and I've stood behind them because academically they've been pretty strong. But with all their legal problems in recent years I question the judgment of their leaders. The local news is frequently at the school reporting on the latest scandal, which is disruptive to students. The district recently threatened to revoke their charter, which it looks like they have avoided this time. Another issue is their arbitrary policies that both my daughter and I have grown tired of. They kept her from going to homecoming because she had TWO tardies ("too many" they said) and put her on an attendance contract for too many absences last year, which included a trip that THEY approved! My daughter is a B student and deserves better, so we're done. She's transferring out next year.

Helix High School 4

Posted May 25, 2010
i hear that this school is one of the best schools that california has to offer

Posted April 07, 2010
I can full recommend Helix High School as an excellent environment for students to learn and grow. Having had my children in my district High school (patrick Henry) I can tell I found new schools for the oldest 2 and gave it another try with my youngest. Once again I was completely disappointed byt faculity and staff. Helix has been the best school I have dealt with as a parent of 3. They are respectfull to both sturdents and parents. My daughter has gone from failing most every core class her first year in High School to A' and B's and is moving into AP classes for English and Math. She is excited about College and if there is an issue or concern they address immediately and respectfully. I support Helix 100%, there set up is great and the 90 minutes per class gives students real time to learn the subject.

Posted February 16, 2010
My daughter is a freshman at Helix and has over a 4.0 currently. (Honors) She is involved in the sports provided and is able to complete all of her homework without problems.

Helix High School
7323 University Avenue, La Mesa, CA  91941
Last modified Helix High School is a Charter school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Helix High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 58 reviews. Top