Vista La Mesa Academy

Public | K-6 | 528 students

Sweep tile

Posted January 28, 2014

My son has been attending this school for the last 3 years and is now in 6th grade. It's the middle of the school year and I am now looking into moving him from this school. We have had 3 different principles over the last 3 years, As I read the older reviews I've noticed that this school has had an issue with keeping a principle. We have had lots of issues with my student being picked on and bullied with very little assistance from the school in following up on our complaints. I've also had issues with the teachers communicating with us when there has been issues with my student in class. It shouldn't take me emailing them to get an idea of what's going on. This school fails all around and I am happy to be moving my student.

Posted September 4, 2013

VLMA is an excellent school. I have 3 children going to the school kinder, second and fourth grade. All the teachers that my children have had have been wonderful. The school does a great job keeping the upper grades away from the elementary kids. They have minimal contact through out the day. I have yet to experience a problem with the office staff. They have recently added new gates and started a new system when entering the school making the campus safer for the children and staff. I would recomend this school to any parents.

Posted August 4, 2013

Vista La Mesa is the worst school you could send your child to. The office staff is horrible, very rude, most of the teacher's could care less of the children there. They worry more about upholding an image of this perfect school which they are not. I would not recommend this school to anyone.

Posted November 14, 2011

Initially, we were concerned about this school upon registering our daughter, for first grade. She was fortunate to have Mrs. Wood as her room teacher and words cannot even express the gratitude and appreciation we have for her dedication, commitment and patience she personifies with each student. She is a remarkable teacher who takes pride in supporting each student in allowing and encouraging them to develop their skills with comfort and ease. We strongly recommend VLMA as one of the "BEST" schools in San Diego, with a staff who remains vigilant and true to their dedication of service to our children, our future! Mrs. Wood, we as parents sincerely thank you for your day to day support and assistance with the developmental learning process for our child and all the children fortunate to be in your class.

Posted November 1, 2011

I am a parent of a 1st grader attending Mrs. Hayden's class. I was EXTREMELY SKEPTICAL of this school at first when I enrolled my son. In fact, I was thinking of going to the district to have my son enrolled somewhere else because I didn't think this school was going to be so great. BUT I'm very glad I didn't. Since enrolled, my son, who has been enrolled in SPEECH THERAPY since preschool, is now reading .... and this is NOT A JOKE.... 38 BOOKS A DAY!!!! And all because of the reward system Mrs. Hayden has in her 1st grade class. My son made it HIS GOAL TO FINISH HIS ENTIRE READING LOG (WITH 38 SLOTS) IN A SINGLE DAY!!! All because he wanted to be rewarded with 2 new books for finishing 2 sides of his reading log. Also I received his DISTRICT TEST SCORE TODAY AND HE SCORED ADVANCED!!!! He had a 94% rating in Mathematics! This school is making a SERIOUS EFFORT TO TURN THINGS AROUND and work together to give our kids a great education. I couldn't be happier! I see a lot of parents coming to this school and getting really involved. Mrs. Hayden is top notch! She gives me calls and talks to me daily about his progress and really helps me understand any areas my son needs help in.

Posted April 29, 2011

Hey you the one talking bad about the 6-8th graders. I am a 7th grader at that school. i understand that some kids are immature. But remember you can't protect your child forever from hearing sailor words. life as we know it is filled with people who talk bad, i hear curse words ALL the time on streets and in stores. Not ALL the older kids are rude. Remember YOUR CHILD WILL BE A TEEN SOON! Around the age 11 to 16 your child [not so little no more] will be one of those "SO CALLED BAD KIDS" Personally I HATE CURSE WORDS! Also we 6-8th graders LOVE the litter kids. they are soo cute and funny. Our 6-8thy grade teachers are HIGHLY educatded, and even the science teacher have published a book before. and went to the BEST collages! Also a other personal thing is that i dont like the new 6-8th grade classes. they treat us like we are the bad guys and they treat us like childern. Also the money is going to build a new libary in lemon grove middle school. and other money goes to less fortunate childern. Now have a nice lovely day =)

Posted February 24, 2011

This school has gone down hill alot in the past 3 years that we have attended. They brought in the 6-8th grade students for 2 years while the middle school is being remodeled. This forces the younger kids to have contact with the not so nice older kids. I hear the "F" word everyday while walking my 2nd grader into the school. I wish this school was more focused on the students instead of updating the building and the security gates! I understand that California is under a huge budget problem but this school receives federal money for each military student that attends, where is that money going????

Posted October 28, 2009

What can I say! this is the nbest school ever. My son has a ADD and everyone has been great with him. They are Nice and kind specially Resource staff.

Posted August 20, 2008

I love this school. All of the the staff is wonderful. Pricipal Heath is truely amazing. He is so well liked by both of my children. We are is this school, because of a military move. And I do have to say, I am so glad. My plan to stay in this area, to make sure that we are still in the district to attend this school. You will love them all. Hope your experience is what mine has been.

Posted December 30, 2006

My daughter is a military dependant who has gone to this school after relocating to CA from the east coast, and I must say that the campus was alot different than what I was use to because the schools have a open campus. My daughter kindergaten year was one with several obstacles, but as the year went on it was Wonderful to say the least. I am a very involved parent, which makes any school experience wonderful. The teachers/principal are to be commended for the endless work they do!

Posted May 31, 2006

Both my parents,myself, my brother and my 2 children have gone to VLM since they were 5 years old. VLM is a school where the children come first. The parent involvement is fabulous. The teachers are highly personable, skilled and work hard to bring out the best in each child. We have remained friends outside of school with most of the teachers. The principal is kind and knows each child by name and is always making sure the kids safety comes first. VLM is a great Peace Building School, preparing our kids for the future!

Posted April 19, 2006

A relatively large elementary school, VLM is a sprawling campus in a residential neighborhood. Principal is very involved, if not a little overcommitted to providing oversight that asst adminsitrators should provide. VLM serves a diverse population of working class families mixed with a sizable military population. Good meal plans, lunches 1.75/day. VLM is doing their best with what they have to work with. You could do much worse in public education.

Posted August 22, 2005

Vista la mesa is a good school most of the time. The new principal helped out a lot last year but they will have another new principal again this year because mr. Lewis is retiring. So my daughter has had 3 different principals so far. Still I like the school. They seem to try hard to help the students succeed. I wish they had better after school programs and healther school lunches (plus more music, art & p.E.). Some of my kids teachers have been amazing while other teachers seem to struggle to get through to the more challenged children. They did allow me to switch teachers when I was unhappy so I am fine with that. Overall I like vista la mesa.

Posted August 16, 2005

This school is culturally diverse and has a great learning environment. Nice area and no gang influences.

Posted March 8, 2005

I feel this school is VERY hands on with their students. My son's Kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Urtnowski, is extremely interested in each child and their growth. I feel that she has gone above and beyond to make sure our son knows and understands all he needs for 1st grade and more. Thank you Vista La Mesa!

Posted October 1, 2003

My child has attended this school for two years. Having a new principal to begin the 2003/04 academic year brings hope for the kids to be in mind after the school is closed.

Posted September 4, 2003

Vista La Mesa has a strong staff that work hard to provide the best education for all students. I have 4 children in that school ranging from 5th grade to preschool and feel very blessed that my children are a part of this school. I have two children with special concerns and the school has always helped in whatever way they could. One of my children is currently in the GATE program and enjoying it very much. The teachers work together and it shows.

Posted August 25, 2003

vista lamesa is my favorite school i have chosen it for my kids but now i have to move from L.A to N.Y i will miss all of the people i know in this school
—Submitted by a former student

This school's

(2012)

3 / 10

4 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school did not meet its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

3 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

4 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

79 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

90 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

89 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students41%

• MaryDell Worthington
Fax number
  • (619) 825-5783

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now