Bad
Good

Parkway Middle School 3

Posted February 13, 2014
I'm definitely not impressed with this school. Is it the lack of funding and teacher pride that has made education go downhill? Don't get me wrong, there are a few outstanding teachers here, yet there are a few that I was forced to have a personal meeting with. I grew up in the Midwest, which may impact my perception of educational quality. In one of my sons classes, they no longer follow along to the text book issued as the state supposedly changed the curriculum, skipping some important steps, little homework leading to less repetition, increasing the margin of failure. 25% classwork/homework and 75% test weight (algebra) is quite inappropriate when the lack of repetition in the curriculum. Another class, Language Arts has a faculty member that is very strict and unapproachable and leaving the children not asking for assistance. One more issue that I have is the dress code needs to be enforced better. I will not expect school life to be any better as my son moves onto high school.

Posted December 20, 2011
My son had Mrs.Hjalmerson last year & she was wonderful. She always encouraged him & she has an extensive art backround which enhanced his English experience. She's AWESOME!!!

Posted November 03, 2011
The school is o.k. but there is one teacher who is very mean to the students, Mrs. Hjalmerson. Every student i know,who has this teacher is sad that they have her as a teacher. Also the parents don't seem to like her either

Parkway Middle School 5

Posted May 26, 2011
This school is awesome I met the love of my life there! But overall it's amazing Parkway just turned 50! Woohoo!!! Bit yeah great teachers, they give amazing help!

Posted April 05, 2011
My son was at Parkway 6th through 8th grade, and my daughter is now in her second year at Parkway. Overall, we have been very happy. There are many exceptional teachers that do a great job. Unfortunately, there are also some that are just adequate. We did have some issues with bullying but the vice principal and counselors were responsive and it was resolved quickly. Any concerns that I raised to the principal, vice principal, counselor or teachers was addressed promptly and satisfactorily. Sadly, the budget cuts have hurt Parkway as well as all the schools in the district.

Parkway Middle School 1

Posted March 22, 2011
The bullying just seems to continue on a daily basis. My niece reports it to her counselor and nothing NOTHING is being done about it. Our own president recently had a forum on bullying so why isnt anything being done to correct it. How do they expect our children to learn when they are treated like this everyday. These students are in the same classroom and the school wont change any schedules. Also if your student is in the last lunch period, the school runs out of food. This has happened more than once.

Parkway Middle School 2

Posted October 20, 2010
Since last year, the quality of band has gone down 200% thanks to the unqualified new conductor. The yearbook class let all kinds of honor students in, yet they don't take the best (student of the year). The seventh grade teachers give no warning as to how difficult eighth grade is. The PE program is horrible because there are only three or four coaches trying to supervise a HUGE field, and they don't even supervise. As a student, the only class I enjoy at the moment is history because I have a teacher who explains everything clearly and makes it so we understand the subject. I'm struggling in everything else due to disruptive students and poor quality of the ways the teachers teach. I entered eighth grade totally unprepared for how hard it was.

Parkway Middle School 5

Posted November 18, 2009
Excellent academic preparation as well as ppromoting character education.

Posted November 03, 2009
We are very happy with Parkway Middle School because the teachers really listen to the parents when there is a concern, they always call me back or email me within 24 hours and our counselor Shannon Johnson is wonderful! My son feels very comfortable seeking her out for help and to talk to when he's feeling overwhelmed and she really cares.

Posted September 17, 2009
Mr. Mollenkopf, the band teacher, has a great program. It's about the only thing about the school we like. The P.E. program is excellent, but try telling the kids that. Academically the place is a mess. The 'House' system guarantees that a student won't have access to the best and most appropriate teachers for that students needs, because sticking with 'house' teachers is more important than student learning outcomes. The principal and counselors are completely disinterested in anything that doesn't involve the dress code or bullying. At least there's no bullying from other students!! I can't say as much for the treatment that parents receive.

9009 Park Plaza Drive, La Mesa, CA  91942-3400
Last modified Parkway Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 7-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.