Lafayette, CA
Students enrolled: 1,164

Posted May 11, 2015
I would have been more inclined to give Stanley a higher rating just a few years ago. However, academics have declined at the school - maybe the new superintendent and school board played a role. They are phasing out accelerated classes for advanced math students - all incoming 6th graders take the same level class. I hear it's driven by Common Core but their interpretation of the standards has resulted in a big shift to the middle. The school doesn't even offer the same track as neighboring districts Moraga and Orinda. In short, it has a great music program and lots of lunchtime clubs but I would no longer recommend it for students with serious academic aspirations. I don't know how they recently became a "Gold Ribbon" school but it certainly detracts from the prestige of the award, in my opinion.

Posted May 26, 2014
I am a student at stanley and I love it! There are many clubs, help, and sports during and after school. Math is not my strongest subject, so it is convenient to get help from the teachers during lunch. Stanley has one of the best music departments in the country! I do chorus and we ranked a superior at a choir competition! Also, pe is super fun and I am obsessed with my pe teacher, mrs anke, because she is super nice and favors me. Core is fun and I have mrs. Healy. In history we learn about Mesopotamia, Egypt, India, China, Greece, Israel, and Italy. My math teacher, mrs wright, it super sweet and kind. She is always available to help her students. Science is okay and my science teacher, mrs. Plinneke is my neighbor. The only thing I don't like is that some girls think they are so popular. But that is okay. (Ps, your shorts have to be past your fingertips when your arms are resting t your sides because you could get a dress cut. It happened to me! Same goes for tank too straps. They have to be three fingers thick.) Stanley is the most awesome school!!!!!!

Posted April 17, 2014
Stanley is an awesome school. The teachers really do care about the students succeeding. I give Stanley an A++. Outstanding in Math, Science and Music.

Posted January 12, 2014
Stanley tries hard in many areas. In many areas it is an excellent school. It excels in Math and Science, has an outstanding music dept. There are also some wonderful programs like the Spanish Dept's exchange program with a school in Colombia. However the English Dept is hit or miss. If you get a strong teacher there you are lucky, otherwise assume your child will not be prepared for a rigorous High School. Little diversity, there is a small percentage of lower middle class students, but the wealthier, "fairer" students run the show. It's a very large school and shyer students can easily get lost.

Posted October 12, 2013
Very focused on test scores, which are high primarily because of high socioeconomic makeup. No GATE programming, and differentiation is minimal to none, meaning more advanced students are often bored.

M. H. Stanley Middle School 2

Posted October 27, 2010
While there are some wonderful teachers at Stanley there are also those that would benefit from yearly reviews and evalautions - and moved out when necessary. Not much action is taken when a student or parent needs extra help - or even 15 minutes of an administrator's time - once a year! If your child fits a classic self-motivated student mold, he/she will be fine. Otherwise it's a rocky road. I've had both types of children and very different experiences.

M. H. Stanley Middle School 4

Posted April 10, 2010
Stanley really is a great school. The principal is fully involved as well as the vice principal. They are always trying to keep everyone involved (including teachers). They do everything in their power to keep kids safe and out of trouble. The only bad thing I would say is that sometimes the teachers are not keeping with that. Certain teachers at this school give you material and barely teach it to you. On the other hand, there are teachers who really care whether or not you do well in life and succeed. I relocated from a state halfway across the country and I was scared that I wouldn't fit in, but I was pleasantly surprised! I am so glad I chose this school!

Posted July 15, 2009
The only thing I could say is 'Awesome'

Posted February 05, 2009
Stanley is a great school. The teachers are great, the music department is fantastic! Through out elementary school I heard that Stanley had drug problems, but when I went there I figured out that all of that were just rumors. The PE classes are great. You really get involved, and after running a mile or something like that you really feel great about yourself. Stanley is awesome!

Posted November 12, 2008
We love Stanley! This is my daughter's first year there, and she is having a great time. She's in an advanced math class, and when she needs extra help, there is always a classroom open for math help at lunch and after school. They have tons of sports after school- something for everyone, and everyone gets to play.

M. H. Stanley Middle School
3455 School Street, Lafayette, CA  94549
Last modified M. H. Stanley Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
M. H. Stanley Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 30 reviews. Top