Laguna Niguel, CA
Before care: Yes

McDowell School - Preschool-Elementary 2

Posted August 28, 2013
I checked out McDowell and decided not to send my child to this school. My decision was based on the following: 1.) the children conduct PE in a parking lot; 2.) the teachers seem to turnover a lot; 3.) they do not seem to invest in the school facilities, i.e., no science or math lab; 3.) no high level of parent involvement. For us, the class size seemed too small. I don't think it would prepare a child to learn to interact with different personality types or learn coping skills. Also, the school only went to 6th grade so we would have to find another school for our child to attend before going to high school. Overall, it did not seem like a good fit for our child.

Posted February 19, 2013
we came from VA to CA .MY dauther had to go to public school for 2 years until we found Mcdowell school. I can not be happeir for my daugter, her math is stronger than than before in other school . Her teachers are all kind and helpful.I wish they had middle school too so l didnt have to move some where else for her.

Posted December 30, 2012
This is my second experience with this school. My child was a previous student here. Although there have been many changes since our first child, we are happy that McDowell has continued with it's small class sizes and academic excellence. Having been here before, I know that when students leave McDowell for whatever the reason, they are more than prepared and most often end up in very high math, english, language, etc classes at other schools. As to the previous comments about it not being a family environment, I wholeheartedly disagree. McDowell's student body size makes that inevitable. For the money, you can't get a better education! We couldn't be happier here! If you considering McDowell, do yourself a favor and check it out.

McDowell School - Preschool-Elementary 1

Posted September 22, 2012
Over the past year I have come to realize that this is not the same place we committed to in kindergarten. There is not the same kind of family atmosphere governing the school which made it the special place it once was. This appears to be due to the change in ownership and management of the school. Also beware that there are some very influencial parents who feel it is their perogative to dictate their childs grades. Hardly a fair and even situation to students who come by their grades honestly!

McDowell School - Preschool-Elementary 1

Posted August 28, 2012
Avoid this school at all costs. It has turned from a wonderful family environment that is rich in learning to a cold, hard business. It has been bought by a corporation, has a new director and alot of the staff have left. Changes abound and many of the families that have been there for years have left. Think twice before putting your child at this school!

Posted September 18, 2011
We are so happy with the quality of education at McDowell. The classes are small, and the level of hands on individualized education is high. The spanish, art, computer, music and athletic teachers are exceptional. Parents are very involved here. Very caring, family oriented school!

Posted April 13, 2010
McDowell is amazing for anyone who wants an incredible academic and well-rounded educational experience for their child. The best teachers, staff and parents in town. The school has been there for 34 years and continues to grow with today's high standards of excellence. I have never been disappointed with anything there, and my boys love going to school each day.

McDowell School - Preschool-Elementary 3

Posted April 07, 2010
This is a for-profit school now owned by the same people who own Sylvan. It is great for younger kids and the class size is small but there's only one class in most grades which isn't enough for older kids. The classrooms are very small and there are very few facilities; a small playground, PE in the parking lot and no science labs or art/music rooms. There are some great teachers but there's no ongoing teacher training so some are stuck in a rut. Unless your kids have been here since preschool it's very hard for them to break in socially. The school doesn't have a middle school, it has one very small 6th grade. If your kids are very young or if your older child has need of such a small environment then it is a good school but it's very much a niche school. Most kids need more.

Posted February 07, 2010
I have been a parent at McDowell for eight years and I love this school! My children love to go to school everyday and I attribute that to an amazing staff of teachers who challenge my kids while making learning fun! The small class sizes allow every student to get one-on-one attention and help bring out the best in each of them. McDowell teaches kids confidence, high self-esteem, and great sportsmanship, along with above grade level academics. The teachers are amazing and really know how to inspire the kids. Parents are encouraged to be involved in daily school life and the result is a family environment that is one-of-a-kind! Everyone genuinely cares about each other and it shows! If you are looking to academically challenge your child while making sure they are being nurtured and guided into becoming well-rounded, confident, caring people then McDowell is for you.

Posted February 06, 2010
McDowell Middle School has an individual approach to education. The class sizes are kept limited to ensure each student reaches his or her potential. The teachers are extraordinary and the level of learning is outstanding. There are a number of schools in this area with a good reputation for high academic standards, but McDowell goes beyond academics by encouraging leadership and personal growth. The principal is a great leader and has hired teachers who are commited to teaching and encouraging young people to reach their potential. The students feel at home here, which gives them a greaet deal of confidence and promotes high self esteem. This Middle School program continues to exceed my expecations.

McDowell School - Preschool-Elementary
29028 Aloma Avenue, Laguna Niguel, CA  92677
Last modified McDowell School - Preschool-Elementary is a Private school that serves grades PK-6
McDowell School - Preschool-Elementary Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top