Laguna Niguel, CA

Marian Bergeson Elementary School 4

Posted March 22, 2015
I love this school soooooooo much! My daughter is starting her third year here at Bergeson in the MIP program. I have been soooo amazed with how much Mandarin she has learned. We do not speak the language but she has pretty much able to translate what people are saying in Mandarin, write and converse. I'm so thankful for this gift of another language. The parent community is extremely tight and I don't think I have met one person i don't like here. My daughter has been bullied by a few girls but the principal and teacher helped in the situation. The MiP teachers are awesome but there was one that we had who was "typical Taiwan" teaching. She shamed my daughter and yelled at the kids a lot which I did not like. She learned quite a bit of Mandarin from her but I wished that she did it in a gentler way. The first year my daughter had her they would sing songs and my daughter loved her. The second year she seemed really nice to the parents but everything my daughter seemed to tell me about her was not good. My daughter went to school everyday afraid to come to school and of being bullied. Now she has the sweetest teacher in the world and has met a good group of friends.

Marian Bergeson Elementary School 1

Posted July 20, 2014
There is no leadership at this school. Principal is a politician...all lip service and no action or follow up. The campus is dated but my concern is that it is dirty. Teaching quality is inconsistent within each grade and standards are not being enforced by the principal. I see teachers are just trying to get through each day with 35+ students in class (they spend more time on discipline vs. teaching). If you want your child to have a strong academic foundation, avoid this school.

Posted June 15, 2014
We love Bergeson Elementary. Unfortunately, we have moved a lot and our children have had a hard time connecting and making friends at other schools. When we started at Bergeson 1 year ago, the teachers, office staff and principal are so friendly, helping and caring. It's refreshing and fabulous! I know that my children are under great supervision! At one of the old schools, there were always issues of bullying and children being mean to each other. We have had completely the opposite feeling at BERGESON. It starts at the top. The principal deals with behavior issues quickly, efficiently and always informs parents right away. I'm so impressed with this and I'm sure it's one of the reasons, along with great teachers, that children are so respectful of each other. We are thrilled to have landed in this great neighborhood school!!

Marian Bergeson Elementary School 2

Posted June 09, 2014
I was excited about this school when we first moved into the district, however shortly after realizing how the school operates I was quickly disappointed. Our experience has been okay but not great. The teachers have been very hit and miss and the principal only works on issues with certain parents. She acts like she is concerned, but the follow up never happens. We are busy working parents so it's possible that since we can't donate a lot, or do volunteering we are not a priority. The office staff is EXTREMELY rude and when you walk in to the office, they don't even acknowledge that you are there, they just keep staring at the computers like you don't exist. Each time I go into the office I have to say, "HELLO!!!" or they will not help me! It's so frustrating and I dread when I need to pick my child up early or have a question or concern. There are a FEW excellent teachers there but for the most part this school is just okay. If you are a parent volunteer and have tons of money to donate it's likely that you will get the teachers you request and any help and follow up requested. It's unfortunate. We have a 3 yr. old that we plan on sending to a different school.
2 people found this helpful

Posted April 25, 2014
I transferred my son into this school and am so happy with my decision. The school has A LOT of community and parent support without being in your face about it (I was put off my another nearby school regarding this). I visited 3 schools, including my home school, and Bergeson was our first choice school. It has great teachers, supportive admin and great parents. The school also is able to have several programs funded by parent and community donations - science lab, music for the lower grades, teacher aides, AR program, and more. I am also a working parent and rely heavily upon the Y at this school site. I made sure to not only visit the schools I was interested in but also the Y programs. Again, Bergeson's Y program came out on top IMO. Regarding the Mandarin Immersion Program. I haven't seen or experienced any seclusion problems. We have chosen the traditional route for our kids and I am proud our school hosts the MIP. I think it's a fantastic program even though we went the traditional route. CUSD has many successful Spanish Immersion schools and given the track record, I do believe Bergeson will be able to serve both MIP and traditional students well.

Marian Bergeson Elementary School 2

Posted April 02, 2014
After being at this school for 5 years I feel the Mandarin Immersion program has divided the school and will be looking for a different school for my younger daughter. The teachers and principal are amazing and have all been at the school for many years. It is going to be heartbreaking when the teachers lose their positions as the Immersion program is pretty much taking over the school

Posted March 04, 2014
We recently moved to Laguna Niguel and are new to Bergeson. My son attended an excellent private Christian school before moving here and we were very hesitant on sending him to the local public school. I'm so thankful that we decided on Bergeson. It has been a wonderful transition. Bergeson strives for excellence. Bergeson families are so kind, friendly, caring and very outgoing. We adore our sons kindergarten teacher. I highly recommend this wonderful school.

Posted February 25, 2014
My child is in the Mandarin Immersion Program at Marian Bergeson and I am thrilled with the program. The teachers, admin, as well as PTA do an incredible job and I couldn't be happier about the education that my child is getting. We feel lucky to be here.

Posted February 24, 2014
I have children in the Mandarin Immersion Program and am very happy with their education. I am impressed with how quickly they are learning the language. The teachers are great and the parents are very involved. Because this is a school of choice program, every family that is in the Mandarin program is choosing to be there and wants to make the program successful. I just wish that this and all schools in Capo had better funding.

Posted February 24, 2014
Great school! My daught rs are attending this school, and we really love it. We had a issue at the beginning of a kindergarten with placing the kids with second language in one class , but in the end we became great friends. We really love it!

Marian Bergeson Elementary School
25302 Rancho Niguel Road, Laguna Niguel, CA  92677
Last modified Marian Bergeson Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Marian Bergeson Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 38 reviews. Top