Cottonwood Canyon Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 883 students

Posted March 19, 2014

They allow volunteers to bully children. My 8 year old son has been harassed and physically attacked by another boy multiple times. The boys mother, an obese slob, volunteers at the school and continues to bully my son and slander my family while on campus. The principal has been aware of this situation for months and it still continues. It has gotten to the point that I have contacted an attorney.

Posted July 29, 2013

MR BRANSTETTER THE KINDER TEACHER IS AWESOME MY DAUGHTER IS GOING INTO THIRD GRADE NOW AND STILL GOES TO VISIT HIM. HE IS A GREAT TEACH AND MAKES LEARNING A GREAT EXPERIENCE FOR THE CHILDREN

Posted April 25, 2013

To the reviewer from April 25th...it's PRINCIPAL, not "pricipal". Maybe you can sit in during your child's spelling lesson!

Posted April 25, 2013

I have had great success with communications with the staff, pricipal and teachers. If you have to really commit yourself and try to get involved so that you will be able to also help the situation. The ones that seem to be complaining probably don't even help out. I have seen some nasty parents and kids flying off the handle over very silly situations. Sometimes 1 pricipal can only do so much. I highly doubt any of you that were in charge of 900+ kids could juggle as well as our pricipal does. Funny people mention taking things to the district - they won't give us more fudning to help solve a few of these problems people are having. If you want better parking, go to the district, the county and then the state. That is nothing the pricipal can do. I will say that most of the teachers are amazing and truly love their job. There are a few that have probably been burnt out. We all have bad days. No school is 100% perfect. CCE tries their very best and for that I commend them! As for most of the parents, it would be nice to see more get involved. People work, but there are other ways to help. Get involved and I promise you, you will see results and get to know others.

Posted March 6, 2013

My daughter is in first grade and has a wonderful teacher! Her reading scores were below average at the start of the school year but she is now reading above average and is continuing to learn at a higher rate than I was experiencing in a private school for preschool and kindergarten. I am really impressed with the teacher. There was an incident that happened on the playground that really concerned me, and I contacted the Principal, who was really responsive and solved the problem immediately, he is really active and involved with the kids. My daughter loves him! The only reason I reduced the stars to 4 is because the front office staff leaves something to be desired, they are not very helpful and often I and other parents will stand at the counter for long periods of the time before even being greeted by them.

Posted March 3, 2013

Can someone please give me the low down of the 1st grade teachers? I'm trying to decide which one will be right for my daughter. Thank you so much!

Posted January 5, 2013

I was told my daughter would be in special reading classes. Found out months later she wasn't. Then told new reading teacher came and she would be placed in there. I asked Mr. Wood to check and see and let me know and Monica to let me know. It's been 30 days and non one has bothered to update me. There is a lot of communication gaps with this school....and following through.

Posted January 4, 2013

This school could be good, if it wasn't for the laying principal and some of the so called teachers. whom shouldn't be aloud to be near a school nevertheless teaching.

Posted March 14, 2012

Disappointed....This school has a few outstanding teachers and aids that are absolutely wonderful however the support from the principal is not there! The principal is very good about promising and figuring out ways to help situations EXCEPT he never commits. There are excuses or I have been told flat out lies. The staff is scared to tell the parents what is going on with the students and the principal wants to hush hush situations from the district. Thats where the promises that are never fulfilled come in. Please just keep in mind if you have a student that attends this school to make sure you truly know what's going on not what you are being told. Huge difference and scary once I found out from other parents and started paying closer attention is when I pulled my children out. Looking at the school from the outside it looks great and thats the principals goal.

Posted February 6, 2012

I have three children; first, second and third grade. We just moved to this school at the beginning of the school year. My children and I are very pleases and absolutely love it here. My oldest son, since he was in preschool always had problems in school and was always getting in trouble and getting suspended. I never knew there were aby problems till after the fact. Here at Cottonwood the teachers and principal are very involved with the children and the parents. Of there is anything going on with my kids, good or bad, I usally find out before they even get out of school. They communicate very well with me in all areas of their schooling. The school is constantly doing thing for the kids and the school. From family movie nights, family bingo, cold stone ice cream sales every week, harvest carnivals and many other things to get the families involved. Also the principal is right there in every little thing the kids do. Encouraging them and making everything fun and exciting. You will hardly ever see him in his office, but rather out on the play ground or in the classrooms with the kids. This school has been the best experiences my kids and I have ever had. We all love Cottonwood.

Posted August 10, 2011

I am so happy with this school. My kids are very motivated and happy to go to school. The teachers are great and Mr. Wood, the Principal, is doing a great job.

Posted April 26, 2011

This is our second year at CCE. Last year I was considering pulling my children out and going private because I didn't like the way thing were being handled. I could relate to a lot of the earlier reviews that weren't so great. But this year I have to say I've seen BIG changes with our new Principal, Mr. Wood. He's quick to address any concerns you might have as a parent and he's great with the kids! The school seems to be headed in a new direction and I really like where it's going. The teachers we have had so far have been great, I couldn't ask for anything more. I'm very happy with CCE and look forward the school years to come.

Posted November 15, 2010

I am extremely pleased with CCE, and remarkably impressed with our new Principal Mr. Wood!!! I have 2 children enrolled at this school. We just recently moved from OC, The schools they came from had notably high ratings, however, not the personal touch we have received from this school. The teachers and the Principal are well involved with school activities during and after. I have not experienced a better school!

Posted September 5, 2010

The school has had significant CST score improvements, year after year. Thanks to all the hardwork of all the teachers at this school. This year's score is 892! I have 3 kids 2 of whom are in middle school and graduates of CC. I have one more remaining. So far the test scores form my kids have improved year after year trending in the High advanced! My only issue is with the office staff who never seem to care when a parent walks in and needs help. They look at you and ask you, the 'May I help you' question with an eye that says 'leave us alone'. I hope the new principal takes note of this and steps in to help.

Posted August 10, 2010

My daughter has been a student at CCE for 5 years now and we have nothing but the highest regard for the teachers at this school. The teachers we've had have been supportive and motivating. There is quite a bit of homework, but I feel that it's helped my daughter to create good study habits and to impress upon her how important school is. My only negative comment would be that the office staff can come across as cold and uncaring.

Posted May 4, 2010

I am impressed with my daughter's Kindergarten teacher. There is constant communication about my child's progress. She is excited to be there. I hope that the other teachers are as good.

Posted April 30, 2010

The office staff/principal are horrible. Second year my child has attended, I have never been able to get a live person on the phone, and call backs are two-three days later. Haymen and Graham are much better (or were in case of Hayman).

Posted April 13, 2010

I love their dedication, spirit and love for teaching, my daughter has only been attenting cottonwood for a year and she is more eager to learn and seems so happy there. Go cubs!

Posted October 1, 2009

The post that was done on 9/24 I could not agree more with, the principal and other assistants are very rude. The teachers send emails that make we wonder how they received their credentials, very disappointed in the school. I too am a parent where my child came from a much more friendly and organized school.

Posted September 28, 2009

Both of my children have attended CCE. Over, the past 8 years there have been many changes. As the school grows, so does the power of PTA, as well as the API. The teachers here care! Many work late hours and go above and beyond to help the students.

This school's

(2012)

9 / 10

7 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

9 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

7 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

133 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

133 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

144 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

145 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

138 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

139 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

142 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

142 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

140 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students72%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 3%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

32100 Lost Road