Public charter
Lake Forest, CA

Posted June 01, 2014
I can't say enough good things about Gates. I am in the unusual position of having two kids in the immersion program and one in the regular English program. All of their teachers have been nurturing and wonderful! My second grader is capable of doing all of his homework in spanish by himself, despite the fact that we have no native speakers at home. I have had close interactions and meetings with both the principal and the new vice principal and find them both professional and looking out for the best interests of my child. The fact that they are both busy (and therefor seem unavailable/unapproachable when dropping by the office) is irrelevant to me, as the most important thing is that they were there for my child when it really mattered. The English program academics are on the very low side for the district, which reflects the socio-economic status of the neighborhood. The PTA is amazing.

Ralph A. Gates Elementary School 3

Posted February 06, 2014
There are some really great teachers here, and some mediocre. My daughter is in second grade here, and so far we are very glad that she is going to Gates. There is plenty of diversity, and I do not believe any one school can have it all. The principal does not seem friendly or approachable, but often times I realize appearances can be misleading. Over all I think it's a great dual immersion program, and I like how the parents seem invested and interested in their children, but like any other school, it has it's cons as well.

Posted October 24, 2013
Amazing!! We transferred into the dual immersion program and can't say enough wonderful things:) Principal is involved, open and knowledgeable as are the teachers and parents.

Posted September 27, 2013
My son entered into the two way immersion program this Fall at Gates elementary. I don't know yet how the rest of the school is, but i am thoroughly impressed with my son's teacher and the enthusiasm and involvement of the parents in the immersion program. I have tried in the past to contact the principal but to no avail as it seems she is extraordinarily busy. This is one of the things that does concern me as i wonder how responsive she will be to requests for a meeting should any future issues arise during our child's attendance at Gates. Overall though, i am pleased with the quality of the two way immersion program here.

Posted August 03, 2013
In July of 2012, my family moved to Tustin from San Jose where my oldest attended a Dual-Immersion Language School for Kindergarten. So, it was utmost important that I find a similar school as good or better. Gates Elementary has exceeded that expectation. From the moment I walked into the office approximately one month before school began to place my son on the waiting list to the moment I received a call that he had been accepted. From the moment of his first day of school when the principal provided a personal escort to his class to the moment I met his 1st grade teacher with whom I knew my son would be nurtured and strongly guided in his further acquisition of the Spanish language. And to all the moments through the end of the year, Gates has lived up not only to my expectations but the high standards it sets for itself! There is no other school I would want my oldest son and subsequently my youngest son to attend. My goals for my children are to be bilingual, biliterate and bicultural as well as succeed academically in a traditional program. Which means more than ranking by state scores that don't provide a world wide advantage to children as other countries do. GATES rock!!!

Posted July 30, 2013
I have been in this school for about 7 years. I had a great experience here at Gates. I am in the immersion program and I will hopefully continue until high school. The school over all is awesome from the assemblies to learning, it's all FUN! Yes some may say things about the principal, but it is amazing that she learns everyone's name. She started the same year I started going to that school. Teachers I have had, have been the best from patience to making learning easy! I am glad Gates was my school!

Posted June 04, 2013
We absolutely love the Spanish immersion program! My 1st grader is doing AMAZING! She's now able to carry full conversations in Spanish. I would recommend it!

Posted October 13, 2012
My son is in 2nd grade and is doing really, really well in the Spanish Immersion Program. The teachers use effective methods to educate the children. In addition, the parent involvement in the school activities is impressive. My husband and I made the right choice when we picked Ralph A. Gates Elementary.

Posted October 12, 2012
Love the two-way immersion program that this school offers. They have been doing the Spanish immersion program for a very long time so they understand what works and what doesn't. The teachers all seem very dedicated and because of the special program at the school I feel like the parents are more involved and connected. The principal does have an unapprochable look to her but everytime I need anything or have had an issue she is on top of it.

Posted February 07, 2011
The two way language immersion program at this school is unbelievable! The principal, along with many teachers have their own children attending here, so there is an incredible amount of support and accountability. You will experience a "private school" feel because of the amazing parent involvement. My nine year-old is completely fluent in Spanish and is an A student in both languages. She sounds like a native speaker and more importantly she has an appreciation for the other cultures that we come across in Orange County. While the state is taking out the music and art from our schools, we have an awesome opportunity to add the gift of language into our students' lives.

Ralph A. Gates Elementary School
23882 Landisview Avenue, Lake Forest, CA  92630
Last modified Ralph A. Gates Elementary School is a Charter school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ralph A. Gates Elementary School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top