Lakewood, CA

Posted September 11, 2014
I am a grandparent and a nurse. I am very disappointed that the school has no air conditioning. Its is 99 degrees outside and the children are miserable. How can children learn in this enviroment? Also a class sizes of 30 students,( even if its for only part of the day ) is not reasonable for one teacher. How can a teacher with this many students do their job? The outside of the school has peeling paint ( Has the paint been lead tested?) the auditorum has torn seats. Is this really how we treat our children. This is why parents who can afford private schools do not send their kids to public schools. Do we need to have a Bake sell so the kids don't have to get heat stroke in the classroom? I am very disappointed in this school Lakewood should have better standards.

Posted January 14, 2014
We love MacArthur Elementary School! We moved into the neighborhood from a home in the Minnie Gant Elementary School District. We loved Minnie Gant & were a little apprehensive to switch to MacArthur where there wasn't the same coveted buzz about it. Being right down the street though it didn't make sense to keep driving our 2nd grader across town. We have been nothing but impressed though with the Principle, staff & teachers at MacArthur & our son loves it there. To our surprise he even says he loves it more than Minnie Gant! He is thriving & learning just as well & we are very, very glad that we took the chance & gave MacArthur our local home school a try.

Macarthur Elementary School 4

Posted July 18, 2013
Almost every teacher and administrator, including the after school ICIS program cares about our children. I would check out the teachers prior to K enrollment ;)

Posted June 06, 2013
MacArthur is a fantastic school. My daughters have thrived there due to the excellent leadership from the Principal, teachers, staff and PTA. The kids are engaged, challenged and they seem to have a lot of fun. Great on and off campus activities as well as additional assistance offered for parents and students who need more help.

Posted October 26, 2012
Mr. Gutierrez is by far a great principal. He goes out there, gets his hands dirty and gets involved. He is diplomatic and yet caring towards the students. Unlike other principals, he is visible at all times. The teachers and all of his other staff completes the greatness of the school. All I can say is, my husband and I and our kids have been very happy here from day 1. My kids are excelling in their academic performance and all other issue and concerns we may have is addressed immediately and dealt with. Thank you to all that is is an instrument or directly responsible for leading my children in the right direction.I appreciate that the school has a caring and a family oriented atmosphere. May I add that Ms. Linda plays a big part to the wholesomeness of the school. We absolutley adore her.

Macarthur Elementary School 4

Posted March 07, 2011
I have 2 children at MacAthur: 1 in 5th Grade, 1 in 1st Grade. My 5th Grader has been at MacArthur since Kindergarten. We have experienced many changes at MacArthur since 2005. Some were frustrating, most have been Great! Our school is definitly moving in a positive direction. Unlike other reviewers, I feel Principal Gutierrez has been the best thing that has happened to our school. As a parent, he has made us feel connected by always keeping us in the loop of what is going on at MacArthur. The staff / Teachers seem much happier, the students are much happier and it has become a place we all enjoy visiting. The kids test scores are way up - you can't ask for anything more!

Posted May 25, 2010
An organization is only as good as its managment/leader. This school leaves much to be desired. Some staff are more concerned about popularity and recognition than the progress of the students individually.

Posted March 11, 2010
Principal is more concerned with the teachers and his reputation with them than this students. Identifiying childrens weakness is poor here. If your child is struggling socially or academically, do not send to this school.

Macarthur Elementary School 0

Posted March 27, 2009
My daughter started kindergarten this year at MacArthur. She has learned so much from her teacher Mrs. Robertson she is from tucker and she is fabulous. The whole kindergarten team that came is well organized and work well together.

Posted January 07, 2009

Macarthur Elementary School
6011 Centralia Street, Lakewood, CA  90713
Last modified Macarthur Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Macarthur Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top