West Wind Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 778 students

Posted April 28, 2014

I thought that this was going to be a good school for my kids since it is a nice-looking, newer school on the better side of town, but boy, was I disappointed. There are way too many kids per classroom and the duty aids and teachers seem to have a negative attitude. For a school on the "good side" of town, they have really low test scores. Not impressed.

Posted October 21, 2013

This school is mediocre! Just look at their API scores. It's sad considering this is one of the schools with a higher API in Lancaster. Glad we moved out there!

Posted September 25, 2013

This is an excellent school with highly qualified and effective teachers. Everyone is dedicated to providing the highest quality education to each student.

Posted September 4, 2013

Honestly, I wanted this school to work for my kids. We came from private with an open mind. I do like all the pta involvement of the school, and the activities they plan. The problem I have has to deal with academic's. My oldest child is in 4th grade this year and my second is in kindergarten. My son told me in his 4th grade class that 4 to 5 kids can't read. The spelling words he was coming home with were 4 to 5 letters max. These are words he did in 2nd grade at his other school. The new principal Mr. Yuom, could have careless when I spoke with him. He told me I had to follow procedure and speak with his teacher who was a sub for the first 3 wks of school and then he would be the last resort for me to seek out. So basically, toss me back and forth and hope I go away was more like it. Such a disappointment, I really just wanted him to be in an advanced class. They didn't have anything to offer. I feel like the teachers seem to really want to teach, but their hands are tied with federal mandating of what they can and can't do. I'm tired of the system dumbing down our kids for kids or people that are lazy. If your lazy everything is handed too you anymore.

Posted December 1, 2012

I work at West Wind and I have children at this wonderful school! It is a great place to work. The entire staff is hard working and child centered. This school's priorities are in the right order. Our child's safety is of prime importance but parents are welcomed (Lunch on the Lawn and constant "family" activities). Our child's academic success is constantly being scrutinized. Children are given so many positive incentives to do well academically, behave well, and keep up good attendance. Mrs. Edmond is constantly on the run. West Wind's children love her and her positive energy is endless. She is seen all over the place and is NOT a micro-manager. She just cares about her school. We are extremely sad to hear about her upcoming retirement but applaud her for leaving us with such a strong school.

Posted June 7, 2012

I love GreatSchools! It allows one to state an opinion regardless of how asinine or great it is. It's interesting how misinformed some parents are. The majority of PTA doesn't have to have a "day job" they choose to help support West Wind & volunteer for free! & the ones who do work, still make the time to volunteer, once again for free! A vol. is required to be TB tested & fingerprinted ($55 cost) which THEY pay for. Reasons for the flowers, cards, or balloons npt being allowed is to be considerate towards the other students who are also graduating that wouldn't have a loved one bring such items & might not even have their family there to see them graduate. These are elementary aged children & their feelings are always considered. God is & will continue to bless this school because of his angels working & continuing to make it a better place. The students @ WW are never pressure or told "they'll get in trouble" if they don't sell for a fundraiser! Where did you get that from?

Posted June 7, 2012

West Wind Elementary is a great school!! I have had my daughter there for 1st thru 5th and she has done great there! All her teachers where great! My son has been there kinder and 1st and he has done great! Both my kids have received Honors there! And are straight A student! Mrs Edmond is a great Principle, she has done a great job at this school! And the PTA is amazing! Along with the staff! The PTA and staff are so involved with this school, it makes it fun to take my kids to all there activities and school functions!

Posted May 2, 2012

We agree with the other parent as well our son will not return to westwind next year. Mrs. Edmonds should be fired and as for pta, poor things need day jobs. Westwind staff failed to get. Message to our son twice. There is breakdown in leadership that needs to be corrected. May god watch over the kids and good parents

Posted May 2, 2012

PTA has written all these quotes about this school being fantastic. It is ran like the kids are robots and have no need for time to be kids. I like the security. But if your child needs help they turn their heads. They treat the adults like children and they do not respect our parent authority. You can not play with your children at lunch on the lawn. you can not hug your children with out a principal yelling. You can not bring flowers or cards to 5th grade graduation. The PTA shoves fundraising in childrens faces and pressures them toi SELL SELL SELL or they will get in trouble. The people who are PTA do not talk to other parents to understand their concerns and displeasure of the school. Mrs. Edmond has beaten on my window for not making it through the traffic lane in time. They hand out Bench passes like they are rewards when all they do is discourage and stress out little kids. This school is for you if you want your child to be belittled and ran like they are prison camps. While bullies are still allowed to run the school and the children being picked on are told to change then listen to the PTA and west wind is Amazing. My child will never go back to this aweful place!

Posted November 25, 2011

I have had four students at this Great school. the staff works very hard to meet the needs of all their students. PTA and volunteers are seen EVERYWHERE helping in the classrooms, the office, and in the workroom. PTA organizes many activities throughout the year. That takes money! These activities come from fundraisers. When most CALIF schools do not have field trips, West Wind does, thanks to the PTA. One of my families favorite monthly activities is "Lunch on the Lawn." Another favorite, about this school is the security. I don't want "just anyone" on campus! Lancaster S. D. requires everyone on campus be fingerprinted.That is great! When I drop my children off, I am comforted with the tight security at this school. I find the entire staff, including Mrs. Edmond, VERY welcoming and friendly. This principal is very hands-on and involved in all activities. My kids LOVE her ant that is really, really special. She is tough on those parents that need to be tough with. That helps make me feel even MORE comfortable with the school. There are tough "characters" in our community. Dirty campus? It is windy in Lancaster! This school is the prettiest and best kept I have EVERY seen!

Posted November 17, 2011

This school is doing better but still lacks compared to other schools in other areas like the ones in Valencia! I m glad I got out of Lancaster! It's sad even with such small enrollment west wind test scores are still below compared to similar schools. Mrs. Edmond is not very friendly and parents do no like her. West wind needs to better than a 5 on great schools!

Posted May 20, 2011

We've been very pleased at this school. I appreciate how involved the principal is in the day to day goings-on at the school. The teachers my kids have had have been caring and excellent. My children are both excelling academically and on their state tests. They are happy to come to school. The PTA plans many events that we enjoy. We're very happy to be zoned for this school!

Posted April 26, 2011

West Wind is a great school. The principal works hard and tries to implement many incentives to get students motivated. The teachers are wonderful and friendly.

Posted May 28, 2010

We moved out of WWE last year, We moved to Valencia ca on to Valencia valley elementary. My kids have learned so much more in one year than the three long years at West Wind Elementary..The staff at west wind have no people skills along with the rude principal, the children are not challenged my kids often coplained about the school work being to easy and repetitive.We are very blessed that we were able to go from a poor performing school to a wonderfull California Distinguished School in Valencia CA.

Posted May 26, 2009

I agree to these reviews. Staffs are not friendly enough to answer your questions even the principal. I'm very thankful that we were assigned to a different school. I won't recommend this school for your children. My daughter is in grade 2 and until now she's having a hard time to read. She alwalys complain about her teacher just seating by her table and doing other things

Posted January 31, 2009

I have had 2 children attend this school and have seen many changes. Some good some bad. More and more I feel very uncomfortable going into the school for anything. The office staff is very nice and the teachers that have stayed are wonderful. My kids teachers are fantastic. And the PTA does a wonderful job. One should feel welcome coming to your child's school, which I don't anymore. A lot of rules for parents which most don't abide, so what is the point. Of course my child's safety is number one which this school provides. I just wish that that it had a comfortable atmosphere.

Posted January 11, 2009

My child is new to WW, and so far I am not impressed. I have yet to meet one person who is friendly. This includes principal, office staff, teachers and others. They act as if they are doing you a favor. The test scores are average and it is hard to communicate with teachers since you can not enter the school grounds to pick up or drop off your child. I feel that parents are left out of the loop. I constantly feel like there are issues that I wish I new more about. It does not feel like a happy atmosphere for chioldren to learn. I have taught at military bases, volunteered at public schools, and became a teacher myself. I have never felt like this at any other school. I hope that the longer we are there, the more we will learn to like it. We'll see...

Posted January 3, 2009

I give WW a Five Star, I love it my kid loves it. The Principal Mrs. Edmond is very much apart of every aspect of what goes on at WW.

Posted October 30, 2007

I am very pleased with West Wind's test scores, although I expect it with the nice area it is in. I am somewhat happy with the teachers my children have had. One had a great teacher in the 5th grade last year. It's too bad our district is losing such great teachers.

Posted October 19, 2007

My child has attended this school a little over 3 years now. The current principal, Edmund, has tried very hard to turn this school into a safer, more well managed school. She can be a little overbearing sometimes, but it is for the better of the school and kids. The school itself is clean, well organized and very kid friendly. The teachers are awesome. We have had excellent teachers every year, and have never heard anything bad about any teachers at this school. There is a lot of extra activities that involve the entire family. Some office staff are very rude, however there are others that are incredibly nice. Test scores are one of the highest for the area, curriculum is good, and overall this is an excellent school.

This school's

(2012)

6 / 10

5 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school did not meet its schoolwide API target for 2013.
  • This school has not yet met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school did not meet all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

6 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

5 / 10

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 56% in 2013.

145 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

144 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 46% in 2013.

150 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

150 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 65% in 2013.

114 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

114 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 60% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 57% in 2013.

All Students58%

• Year-round
Fax number
  • (661) 940-8388

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

44044 36th Street, West