Lancaster, CA

West Wind Elementary School 2

Posted April 28, 2014
I thought that this was going to be a good school for my kids since it is a nice-looking, newer school on the better side of town, but boy, was I disappointed. There are way too many kids per classroom and the duty aids and teachers seem to have a negative attitude. For a school on the "good side" of town, they have really low test scores. Not impressed.

West Wind Elementary School 3

Posted October 21, 2013
This school is mediocre! Just look at their API scores. It's sad considering this is one of the schools with a higher API in Lancaster. Glad we moved out there!

Posted September 25, 2013
This is an excellent school with highly qualified and effective teachers. Everyone is dedicated to providing the highest quality education to each student.

West Wind Elementary School 3

Posted September 04, 2013
Honestly, I wanted this school to work for my kids. We came from private with an open mind. I do like all the pta involvement of the school, and the activities they plan. The problem I have has to deal with academic's. My oldest child is in 4th grade this year and my second is in kindergarten. My son told me in his 4th grade class that 4 to 5 kids can't read. The spelling words he was coming home with were 4 to 5 letters max. These are words he did in 2nd grade at his other school. The new principal Mr. Yuom, could have careless when I spoke with him. He told me I had to follow procedure and speak with his teacher who was a sub for the first 3 wks of school and then he would be the last resort for me to seek out. So basically, toss me back and forth and hope I go away was more like it. Such a disappointment, I really just wanted him to be in an advanced class. They didn't have anything to offer. I feel like the teachers seem to really want to teach, but their hands are tied with federal mandating of what they can and can't do. I'm tired of the system dumbing down our kids for kids or people that are lazy. If your lazy everything is handed too you anymore.

Posted December 01, 2012
I work at West Wind and I have children at this wonderful school! It is a great place to work. The entire staff is hard working and child centered. This school's priorities are in the right order. Our child's safety is of prime importance but parents are welcomed (Lunch on the Lawn and constant "family" activities). Our child's academic success is constantly being scrutinized. Children are given so many positive incentives to do well academically, behave well, and keep up good attendance. Mrs. Edmond is constantly on the run. West Wind's children love her and her positive energy is endless. She is seen all over the place and is NOT a micro-manager. She just cares about her school. We are extremely sad to hear about her upcoming retirement but applaud her for leaving us with such a strong school.

West Wind Elementary School 4

Posted June 07, 2012
I love GreatSchools! It allows one to state an opinion regardless of how asinine or great it is. It's interesting how misinformed some parents are. The majority of PTA doesn't have to have a "day job" they choose to help support West Wind & volunteer for free! & the ones who do work, still make the time to volunteer, once again for free! A vol. is required to be TB tested & fingerprinted ($55 cost) which THEY pay for. Reasons for the flowers, cards, or balloons npt being allowed is to be considerate towards the other students who are also graduating that wouldn't have a loved one bring such items & might not even have their family there to see them graduate. These are elementary aged children & their feelings are always considered. God is & will continue to bless this school because of his angels working & continuing to make it a better place. The students @ WW are never pressure or told "they'll get in trouble" if they don't sell for a fundraiser! Where did you get that from?

Posted June 07, 2012
West Wind Elementary is a great school!! I have had my daughter there for 1st thru 5th and she has done great there! All her teachers where great! My son has been there kinder and 1st and he has done great! Both my kids have received Honors there! And are straight A student! Mrs Edmond is a great Principle, she has done a great job at this school! And the PTA is amazing! Along with the staff! The PTA and staff are so involved with this school, it makes it fun to take my kids to all there activities and school functions!

West Wind Elementary School 1

Posted May 02, 2012
We agree with the other parent as well our son will not return to westwind next year. Mrs. Edmonds should be fired and as for pta, poor things need day jobs. Westwind staff failed to get. Message to our son twice. There is breakdown in leadership that needs to be corrected. May god watch over the kids and good parents

West Wind Elementary School 1

Posted May 02, 2012
PTA has written all these quotes about this school being fantastic. It is ran like the kids are robots and have no need for time to be kids. I like the security. But if your child needs help they turn their heads. They treat the adults like children and they do not respect our parent authority. You can not play with your children at lunch on the lawn. you can not hug your children with out a principal yelling. You can not bring flowers or cards to 5th grade graduation. The PTA shoves fundraising in childrens faces and pressures them toi SELL SELL SELL or they will get in trouble. The people who are PTA do not talk to other parents to understand their concerns and displeasure of the school. Mrs. Edmond has beaten on my window for not making it through the traffic lane in time. They hand out Bench passes like they are rewards when all they do is discourage and stress out little kids. This school is for you if you want your child to be belittled and ran like they are prison camps. While bullies are still allowed to run the school and the children being picked on are told to change then listen to the PTA and west wind is Amazing. My child will never go back to this aweful place!

Posted November 25, 2011
I have had four students at this Great school. the staff works very hard to meet the needs of all their students. PTA and volunteers are seen EVERYWHERE helping in the classrooms, the office, and in the workroom. PTA organizes many activities throughout the year. That takes money! These activities come from fundraisers. When most CALIF schools do not have field trips, West Wind does, thanks to the PTA. One of my families favorite monthly activities is "Lunch on the Lawn." Another favorite, about this school is the security. I don't want "just anyone" on campus! Lancaster S. D. requires everyone on campus be fingerprinted.That is great! When I drop my children off, I am comforted with the tight security at this school. I find the entire staff, including Mrs. Edmond, VERY welcoming and friendly. This principal is very hands-on and involved in all activities. My kids LOVE her ant that is really, really special. She is tough on those parents that need to be tough with. That helps make me feel even MORE comfortable with the school. There are tough "characters" in our community. Dirty campus? It is windy in Lancaster! This school is the prettiest and best kept I have EVERY seen!

West Wind Elementary School
44044 36th Street, West, Lancaster, CA  93536
Last modified West Wind Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
West Wind Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 49 reviews. Top