Lancaster, CA
Students enrolled: 1,120

Posted September 29, 2012
Sundown has been great, my two children love it there .They look forward to school. Every teacher has been awesome, my daughter is now in 4th and my son is in 2nd grade.

Posted January 05, 2012
I am shocked at the comment that the new principal is rude and difficult to deal with. My grandson attended Sundown last year (2010/2011) in Kindergarten. He was having a significant amount of behavioral problems and the teacher and principal took an extreme amount of interest in his behavior and education. They were extremely understanding and supportive of our interest and we worked cooperatively to enhance his education and help control his behavior. He has since gone to live with his father and been diagnosed with ADHD. He is continuing to have behavioral problms despite the medication. The current teacher, principal and school are not nearly as understanding nor cooperative. I believe Sundown deserves a 5 star rating based on th cooperation and understanding we received.

Posted January 04, 2012
I noticed the previous complaints about the office staff being rude. I have experienced this over the 4 years that my children have been there but I must say that I have seen a great improvement. As parents we have a voice and a call or letter to the district office does not get ignored. Due to school traffic the bus for after school transportation has been a huge relief. It drops off three blocks from our house and they do not have to take it in the morning to be able to ride it home. I am confident my children are getting one of the best educations possible.

Posted September 08, 2011
I have had nothing but wonderful experiences at Sundown. My daughter has only been there for a month, but she can't say enough about how wonderful her teacher is. She is learning so much more than I ever expected. I communicate with her teacher on a daily basis and she is always up front and honest, good or bad. As far as the comment that a grandparent made regarding the mohawk, they are extremely distracting to students who often have a hard enough time concentrating in the first place. I'm sure if he had a haircut that reflected his heritage since the first day of school, and it was explained to the principal the reason for the dress code violation, she would be more than understanding. If a child is only four and is unable to follow the directions of the adults, maybe he is too young to begin a public kindergarten. The kindergarten students are kept separated in a single yard with direct supervision, and many four year old children aren't ready for that type of environment. I love Sundown and am proud to send my child there!

Sundown Elementary School 2

Posted September 06, 2011
It seems to me alot of people agree the office staff is rude. The kindergarten teacher my grandson has is also rude. My grandson was lost the first week of school he is only four his parents received no calls no apoligies. There reply was we found him. The first or second day she also told my daughter that my grandson was very immature. How do you know that the first or second day. Among other remarks she has made my daughter got a call from the principle and said she has to cut his mohawk or he cannot return to school. I find that amazing they would take the time to call about his hair but not about the fact he was lost. What about all the other kids that have mohawks or different haircuts? He is part indian this is his heritage. Why dont they concern themselves with all the kids that are cruel to kids at that school and not about a four year olds haircut. My tax dollars at work!!!! I am sure there are kids that go to that school that there parents dont pay any taxes so focus somewhere else.

Posted April 26, 2011
I love that the principal knows each chld, and recognizes parents. My kindergartener is definitely challenged this year!! The curriculum and teachers are very helpful and competent. I think my only complaints would be the quality of lunches (made at the district office), and huge class sizes (32 in Kindergarten class with one teacher=sad :( ). Those are state and district issues...... Love Sundown! :)

Sundown Elementary School 4

Posted October 10, 2010
I really like Sundown this is my son's second year there. The only problem is that I do not think that the curriculum for kindergarten was challenging enough for the children, but other than that I really love the school..The parking police are brutal.

Sundown Elementary School 1

Posted April 07, 2010

Sundown Elementary School 4

Posted February 24, 2010
I was amazed how my child's education went up and every day she loved going to Sundown : thank you Sundown!

Sundown Elementary School 1

Posted February 12, 2010

Sundown Elementary School
6151 West Avenue J-8, Lancaster, CA  93536
Last modified Sundown Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sundown Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 51 reviews. Top