Redwood High School

Public | 9-12

Posted July 15, 2014

I sit here on my computer trying to think of something to positive to say about this school, but I can't. Some teachers at the school love the job because they love power. I would spend an hour or so on an assignment and then they would never say anything positive about it. This school was all about pointing out the negatives to their students. I tried to be friendly and interact with teachers and kids and nothing ever seemed to click between us. One serious issue that I had was that I had a teacher who was constantly on top of me. When I mean 'on top of me' she would literally criticize every move I made. For example if I went on a trip with my family for a weekend and missed a day of school she would use it against me for months. For example, I would ask a question 2 months later and she would say 'this is why you need to be in school.' Another issue I had was the teachers who would act different in front of my parents. This teacher would write emails to my dad saying that 'I havent been going to English class' but my dad would send an email to my English teacher and he would say that I have been showing up to class. This made me feel like that teacher was out to get me.

Posted March 6, 2014

My child is exhausted. They've turned a self-motivated kid with a very high IQ into a zombie. Crushing homework loads, indifferent counselors and rigid attendance policies softened by some really excellent teachers and an atmosphere of tolerance, but all of it rendered miserable by the obsession with homework. When I drop my kid off in the morning I feel like I'm committing an act of betrayal. I'm made complicit in abuse by a system that somehow thinks it's rational and morally acceptable to work children to the point of utter exhaustion day after day, week after week. A kid who consistently tests in the 99th percentile and I'm left gently suggesting dropping out. That's Redwood to this parent.

Posted May 7, 2013

Your child needs to be self motivated. If he is this school has a great curriculum and very good teachers.

Posted February 2, 2012

We moved to Marin County and selected our location so our son could attend Redwood High School. We looked for schools first, a home second. He transferred as a junior -- and he ended up having a great experience. He had wonderful, knowledgeable teachers who were interested in his success. The math, science, English and music departments were standouts. He participated in clubs, and found that while there were typical cliques and groups -- there really is a place for everyone at Redwood. We were grateful for his success and positive experiences at Redwood.

Posted October 19, 2011

The education at this school is unbelievably great. My older sister had a hard time finding her niche, as she is very shy and usually doesn't put herself out there. But once she discovered the drama program, she immediately fell in love with it and made unforgettable friends and has a newfound love for acting. My two older brothers didn't have a hard time because they had already had friends there. Redwood helps you find what you love to do. Some people see the large amount of students as a problem, but I see it as an advantage because every day you can meet new people that you've never met before. In a community as large as this school, you would never get bored.

Posted October 19, 2011

I love this school so much. The teachers really care about your grades and you can tell they are passionate about what they teach, which makes learning more fun. They always set aside time to help you. The general atmosphere of this school is welcoming and everyday you see new opportunities. There are many clubs and programs that can help you find friends.

Posted October 9, 2011

I transferred into RHS junior year... To be honest, I didn't find the school to be that helpful for someone like me. I had a counselor who told me I wasn't "smart" enough to take certain courses and made my time there very difficult. The teachers are great, very helpful and want their students to succeed. They were the outstanding part of going to Redwood. Friends on the other hand-- mind you I was a transfer student-- was much harder. A lot of students form cliques and can be quite cruel. I've had friends get food thrown at them and often was teased for being a "geek". The school is less on top of keeping an eye out. These things would happen with teachers present in the cafeteria. And being a student of color and a minority I didn't find the environment to be welcoming. But this could be all said of many school. In truth, I hated my time there enough that I requested early graduation. But for parents with students starting freshman year, I'd say this school will be great. I think they struggle with integrating transfers. Students will get an amazing education and have some inspiring teachers. I believe those were the shining qualities of this school.

Posted October 3, 2009

great teachers and programs

Posted June 23, 2009

I went to Redwood High and now go to Stanford. Redwood was the best school I could ever imagine going to. I had a great time and learned a lot. The community was fantastic in every respect. I would like to point out Redwood is grades 9-12 not 8-12, as is listed.

Posted September 7, 2008

Redwood is great. The teachers are encouraging, and it's easy to make friends. You get a lot of attention when needed, and the large number of students is not an issue for me. The extracurricular activities are amazing; there are a lot of choices, and there is definitely something for everyone. The other students are great, and I recommend this school for you child.

Posted April 21, 2008

My son thoroughly enjoyed his years at Redwood High School. As parents, we were invited to volunteer and participate in many activities, and felt a part of the overall campus improvement and development.

Posted December 24, 2007

I think this rating, because they have a grant for extra art-activites that is wonderful for the students...
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 12, 2006

The extracurricular activivities are varied and there are many, and most teacher are trained well, but the school puts too much pressure on their students.

Posted March 7, 2006

I feel compelled to share with other parents considering Redwood as an option for their child, that it has been a fantastic decision for my family. The personal attention that my son recieves is incredible taking into consideration the size of the school. I myself have undergone quite prestigious academics, attending schools such as USC (I also attended a small private high school). Although I was hesitant to send my child to such a large school, I feel it to be completly benificial to him. The teachers never let Zack fall behid, and keep me up to date with his problem areas. He is happier than ever, and from my eyes, is also recieving an amazing education that will take him far in life. I urge you all to look at Redwood High School as an option for you child.

Posted January 25, 2006

I am a Redwood graduate and potential furture Redwood parent. My own experience at Redwood was great despite the huge enrollment (2,600 students at the time), but mainly this was because I found my niche early. Because I got involved with a couple of school clubs that attracted students oriented toward academic achievement and also provided a positive social environment, I loved my time at Redwood. I felt that there were many less directed students who just got 'lost' there, though.

Posted January 20, 2006

excellent public school with wonderful options for college level prep classes for students.

Posted August 19, 2005

Redwood High School is in the top tier of public high schools in California and arguably the best high school in Marin. That being said, it has difficulty prioritizing resources (having invested heavily in a football field that attracts only a handful of participants) and is fairly inflexible in its academic program (personally witnessed from the Head of the Math department who was not very supportive in helping kids who are in need of greater challenge). The administrative staff is, unfortunately, mediocre in its ability to creatively manage the needs of the students, faculty and community, but they may be no worse than most public schools. I was advised that Redwood has everything a student needs to be successful, but it is up to you (and your student) to find it on your own. I think this is true. For a good student to achieve their potential, their family must be proactive.

Posted May 11, 2005

Have two children who went to Redwood. Once is very academic and did very well especially when he went off to college. The other struggled academically because the school is very rigorous and designed for dedicated students. She however participated in the drama program, which is very good. She had a great time there and is now doing very well.

Posted March 26, 2005

Redwood has great teachers and motivating atmosphere.

Posted December 20, 2004

The residents living near this school consistently provide additional financial support year after year. The sports facilities have recently been upgraded.

This school's

(2012)

10 / 10

7 / 10

API Growth scores over time

Did this school meet the API goal this year?
  • This school met the state goal of 800.

API Growth scores by subgroup

Did this school meet all the API goals for student subgroups this year?
  • This school met all student subgroup API targets for 2013

Change from 2012 to 2013
API Statewide Rank
(2012)

10 / 10

API Statewide Rank (2012)

7 / 10

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 25% in 2013.

139 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 65% in 2013.

30 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 58% in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 38% in 2013.

383 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 62% in 2013.

389 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2010

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

36 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 45% in 2013.

181 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated/Coordinated Science I

The state average for Integrated/Coordinated Science I was 26% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 38% in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 51% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 13% in 2013.

38 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 39% in 2013.

162 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 41% in 2013.

329 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 46% in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 35% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 52% in 2013.

347 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 15% in 2013.

112 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

24 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

338 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 46% in 2013.

334 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 10% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 15% in 2013.

136 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology/Life Sciences

The state average for Biology/Life Sciences was 51% in 2013.

125 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 32% in 2013.

189 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 37% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 48% in 2013.

353 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 8% in 2013.

31 students were tested at this school in 2013.

High School (Summative) Mathematics (Grade 9-11)

178 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 58% in 2013.

22 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 50% in 2013.

349 students were tested at this school in 2013.

World History

The state average for World History was 19% in 2013.

All Students70%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)83%
Parent education - college graduate94%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate94%
Parent education - declined to staten/a

General Mathematics (Grades 6 & 7 Standards)

All Students42%

Parent education - some college (includes AA degree)48%
Parent education - college graduate81%
Parent education - graduate school/post graduate87%

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 83% in 2013.

364 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

362 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students99%

Teacher experience

This school District averageState average
First-year teachers 1%N/AN/A
Source: Civil Rights Data Collection, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

395 Doherty Drive